***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Associate
Got any pics mate.. what did you use that 22 inch for ? For what purpose ? Surely getting a 27 1440p would make the 22inch redundant ?

Here's a picture of my current setup, note that I have to have the second monitor at quite an angle to fit it in and that I have that large bare patch of wall just waiting for something to fill it up :)

d7b5m0ih.jpg

Excuse the poor quality picture, the batteries in my proper camera are dead so had to make do with crappy phone camera.

Soldato
Top of your list or what list?

I'd say S34 > DELL > LG > AOC. If for gaming.

Thanks for that, I see the Samsung tops the list which is a shame as its also the most expensive. :p

Monitors I am so far considering:
Acer Predator XB270HU (Mainly for g-sync, but this is meant to be replaced with the XB271HU)
Asus MG279Q
Dell U3415W

I also see that the Swift PG278Q is now just over the £500 mark but I am some what put off with talk of how bad a TN panel is. I have no where near me to view any of these panels so I am buying blind. G sync would be a nice feature to have.

as we say in Bristol 21.9 gaming is gert lush

Gotta say it does look impressive.

Soldato
Anyone else think the stand on the upcoming Asus ROG monitor is ugly?

Just been looking at it again this morning. I like the LED parts and the down light logo, but the legs on either side not being symmetrical annoys me.

Soldato
Anyone else think the stand on the upcoming Asus ROG monitor is ugly?

Just been looking at it again this morning. I like the LED parts and the down light logo, but the legs on either side not being symmetrical annoys me.

ive not liked the stands on any of the 34's, i would say the dell has the most practical stand, i ended up getting a mx ergotron arm for my samsung

Associate
What are peoples thoughts on the AOC U3477Pqu ? I keep looking at it vs a 28" 4k panel. I don't play first person shooters, I play EVE, COH2 and a lot of starcraft 2. My eyes keep drifting towards the superwide.......

Anyone got one? I take it everyone in this thread prefers ultrawide to 4k? :)

Caporegime
What are peoples thoughts on the AOC U3477Pqu ? I keep looking at it vs a 28" 4k panel. I don't play first person shooters, I play EVE, COH2 and a lot of starcraft 2. My eyes keep drifting towards the superwide.......

Anyone got one? I take it everyone in this thread prefers ultrawide to 4k? :)

Most people who are on 4K have never tried UW...they're nervousness about them etc...

Fact is most don't have the gfx power to run 4K so they run UW res instead...sort of missing the point...

UW pixel pinch is perfect and gaming really is something else...:D

Soldato
No clue with stand, as you can see from my picture of my setup, I don't have it's normal stand. So it is just the screen itself, from bezel to bezel. With the LG I have though you do need to leave a little gap if having it above another monitor so you can access the menu button since it is located at the bottom mof the screen.

Associate
Most people who are on 4K have never tried UW...they're nervousness about them etc...

Fact is most don't have the gfx power to run 4K so they run UW res instead...sort of missing the point...

UW pixel pinch is perfect and gaming really is something else...:D

I will be using one or the other monitor with a single GTX980 which for my older games should be fine. But the ultrawide just looks great. A 34" curved would be even better but don't have the budget :( £400 max

Caporegime
No clue with stand, as you can see from my picture of my setup, I don't have it's normal stand. So it is just the screen itself, from bezel to bezel. With the LG I have though you do need to leave a little gap if having it above another monitor so you can access the menu button since it is located at the bottom mof the screen.

So 140cm across by 32cm

So two stacked is roughly 64cm?

Soldato
I will be using one or the other monitor with a single GTX980 which for my older games should be fine. But the ultrawide just looks great. A 34" curved would be even better but don't have the budget :( £400 max

Christmas less then 2 months away, save the money, ask for cash as Christmas gift and then buy a 34''. Or ask for cash as an early Christmas Gift, then buy monitor now. :p

I had 3 24'' Dell, always wanted a 3 monitor setup, then the 29'' widescreen come out, liked what I saw and bought one, but once I got it and played some I wasn't to keen on the lesser height it had, so upgrade to a 34'' SW and it's perfect, same height as the 24'' but much wider. and playing games on it is just awesome. :cool: Now having the 29'' on my spare PC where it works just fine, sitting right above my 34''. :)

Easyrider, 2 stacked LG Flatron 29UM65-P would be an added 3 cm gap between the monitors though, for the menu button as I mentioned. Well, if you want to have access to it, if not then just be like a 5mm gap.

Associate
Oh no I will be getting the 34" AOC monitor if i choose that over a 4k screen. Just I like the look of ultra wide curved, nice to sit in front of!

Currently my monitor options are a samsung 28" 4k a AOC 34" ultra wide or a samsung 29" curved 2580x1080. Limited to these as have to come from a the local shop.

Soldato
That's a great looking setup you've got there Swede. Out of interest how do you find using the top monitor, is it easy to look at for extended periods or does feel a strain having it up high like that? Have you got it wall mounted to get it there and if so what type of mount have you used, a simple fixed one with tilt or a more flexible movable one?
The reason I ask is that with my desk setup I currently have a dual monitor side by side setup (27" 1440p and an old 22" 1680x1050) but it's pretty cramped width wise so I'm considering going for a 34" ultrawide as a main and then second smaller ultrawide above it like you have.

Sorry, missed your post at first. :o

The top monitor is for my 2nd PC so not really using it that much but when it is on not had any problems with eyestrain or such. Nope, it aint wall mounted, got a foot stand from Ergotech, which can be built to support up to 6 27'' monitors side by side if one so wish. Having the 34'' and two 24'' in Portrait mode is about max what it can take, since the stand wasn't made with a 34'' monitor in mind (But I thought as long the monitor don't weight over the recommended 25lbs per pivot for the monitor I be fine and it seems to have worked out well.). The mount that holds the 24'' can tilt the monitor slightly down, making it easier viewing it.

I think if you have your 24'' tilted down you shouldn't have a problem with it. Just getting used to having a monitor ontop of the other though can take a while. :)

Easyrider, my Dell 24'' measure 32,5 cm screen height and the 34'' measure 33,5 cm. Measuring them from bezel to bezel both are 36 cm in height. OcUK's website gives a 27'' at 68.5 cm..

Back
Top Bottom