***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Associate
Got it thanks, but do I have to launch madvr every time or having set it up into mpc is all I need?

Anyway, bout time to see Interstellar again, even if I still saw horrible 16:9 black bars aside in some parts. I don't really get how that movie has been shot, it looks like 3 different aspect ratio all along the same movie, 21:9, imax and 16:9 even if I suppose the 16:9 is due to the ripping from a b-ray or whatever.

Caporegime
OP
As long as MPC is configured to use madvr as the video renderer then madvr will always run with MPC.

I think interstellar is just imax and 21.9, it had a lot of imax scenes. Been a while since I watched it though!

Associate
May sound like a silly question but how wide are these monitors.

For instance I have two 24" 1080p Dell U2414H monitors at the moment which take up quite a bit of space. I do light gaming and some dev work on them.

In comparison say how wide would a 29" be or 34" be and what should I get to be fair I don;t want to spend too much money. I like the sound of the VA models as much as I like my dells the blacks are dissapointing. But then I don't want to drop £750 quid on the sammy.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Imagine 2x 19" monitors side by side, it's quite wide, but not wide enough to not fit on the desk. My deskis 1.8m wide and the 34" fits nicely in the middle with room for items around on each end.

Soldato
May sound like a silly question but how wide are these monitors.

For instance I have two 24" 1080p Dell U2414H monitors at the moment which take up quite a bit of space. I do light gaming and some dev work on them.

In comparison say how wide would a 29" be or 34" be and what should I get to be fair I don;t want to spend too much money. I like the sound of the VA models as much as I like my dells the blacks are dissapointing. But then I don't want to drop £750 quid on the sammy.

The dell is about 82cm wide.

Associate
Someone called Bilago has created a utility called Fallout 4 Tweaker. Deals with a lot of the ini stuff for us including allowing 21:9 resolutions without mucking about with the ini files. Works great.

Caporegime
OP

Initially I was underwhelmed and a few areas are very meh with regards to textures but overall the game does look good and it has grown on me a lot especially once I applied this sweetfx config and of course 21.9 helps make screenshots look even better! :D

Associate
What is the impact on performance going from 1440p to a superwide .....specifically I have crossfire 7970s, would these cope with a wide range of gaming?
Also where a game doesnt have the option to go superwide how do you go about filling the screen, do you get vertical black bars either side?

Caporegime
OP
If you mean to a 3440x1440 UW screen, not sure exactly but I imagine it would be quite a hit for new AAA games, as posted in the OP, here are some benchmarks for a few games @ 3440x1440:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/wiki/guide/batmanac

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/wiki/guide/madmax

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/wiki/guide/witcher3

As explained in the OP as well, if a game doesn't support 21.9 then there is usually a fix be it manually in a config file or with flawless widescreen, if none of those work then the image will either stretch or you can set the game to 1920x1080/2560x1440 and in the monitor OSD, select 1:1 ratio and play with black bars at the side.

man they do look awesome, super jealous :(

Same here, the more I see of 21.9 the more I think it's definitely the way forward for me. Don't think I can justify the cost until after christmas though :(

They really are awesome when it comes to media/gaming, the problem is once you use one, it makes it very hard to go back to a non 21.9 screen :( I badly want a freesync 144HZ screen but the thought of going back to 16.9 urgh....... here's hoping we will get 29" 2560x1080 144HZ free/g sync screens soon......

Associate
They really are awesome when it comes to media/gaming, the problem is once you use one, it makes it very hard to go back to a non 21.9 screen :( I badly want a freesync 144HZ screen but the thought of going back to 16.9 urgh....... here's hoping we will get 29" 2560x1080 144HZ free/g sync screens soon......

Well the new Acer X34 screens look very nice but the price tag is painful, hopefully over the next year we'll start to see a wider choice and more mainstream pricing.

Soldato
mrk... :( My desk is 120cm!! It has the monitor mounted centre with a speaker at each side and there is at most 5/6cm of room left over without having them all crammed together (easily 2cm apart each). More than enough room! :D

I even had three windows open earlier that I was working on. Excellent for work and play.

Back
Top Bottom