***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Associate
Excellent thread :) and post above ref Dell and others.

Tried the aoc but it had to go back. Also did not enjoy its width.(maybe I did not give it long enough or it may be my eyes are just poor but I found that my peripheral vision was too much i.e. kept noticing things out of the corner of my eye , which was disconcerting)

Moved to Dell 34"curved - much nicer experience :) I find the curve makes the extra width feel really natural and more immersive for games. Others have said that it does not work for them when working /surfing the web etc BUT for me not an issue :D

As I have not had any issues running at 60hz do not consider moving to 144hz such a big deal - it might well be for others but not to me.

It is still a lg panel and therefore does sometimes come with issues (backlight bleed being the most common) but Dells build quality and stand are excellent.

I moved from 27" 1440 ips to the Dell - expensive but worth it. Still gives me a smile each time I switch it on -even with the possible issues I have had with display port 1.2 (which currently appear tohave settled :))

Associate
I'd also stick this in the OP: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18681881 at least to show how about 50% of the pc gamers and users in general has or is planning to shift to said aspect ratio, and the remaining 50% is just happy with what they have atm (doesn't mean they won't consider 21.9 whenever they'll have to upgrade). Maybe someone could start investing some time and pennies into R&D and bake some more 21.9 panels out of them factories. As others said already we're basically stuck with the only 2 IPS by LG and the single VA by Samsung (on 1440p that is). Little more choice on the 1080p.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm very interested to see how the Acer X34 G-Sync will be reviewed when it's released, and if it DOES turn out to be 100Hz, how it compares to the other ultra wides out there. Also, how it will stack up against the existing 16:9 144Hz IPS panel in the Acer XB270HU and upcoming PG279Q. Will 44 less Hz be worth it to gain the extra width I wonder?

Associate

A huge thank you for this reply!

A few points:

- I thought the Dell was 5ms response time? This seems normal for IPS panels and something I am used to, so that's no issue.
- The LG is considerably more expensive than the Dell (£110) which would make it a £350 jump in price, I think I'd be calling myself crazy at that point.
- The real estate would actually be a drop down for me, going from 3840x2160 down to 3440x1440, but I don't think that's going to matter much to me, I find it a struggle to use all my monitor during day to day use as it is.

As for G-Sync and 144Hz, it's something I have never tried which means I have never experienced it, so I'm not sure if they're just bells and whistles that I won't enjoy. I wish there was a type of try-at-home monitor service where I wouldn't have to send them back under DSR or anything!

I've gamed on 60Hz for my entire life, I can't say I have ever noticed a lack of clarity/smoothness or anything along those lines.

Ah well, it's either the RoG Swift or the Dell U3415W, I'm scared of not having enough monitor space so I think I'm going to sway towards the latter :)

Caporegime
OP
I think sacrificing 44HZ to have 3440x1440 is a good move tbh, I suspect that motion clarity will still be noticeably better when you have a constant 144 vs 100FPS though...

Just a shame it is by acer though :p

I'd also stick this in the OP: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18681881 at least to show how about 50% of the pc gamers and users in general has or is planning to shift to said aspect ratio, and the remaining 50% is just happy with what they have atm (doesn't mean they won't consider 21.9 whenever they'll have to upgrade). Maybe someone could start investing some time and pennies into R&D and bake some more 21.9 panels out of them factories. As others said already we're basically stuck with the only 2 IPS by LG and the single VA by Samsung (on 1440p that is). Little more choice on the 1080p.

Done.

We are stuck with pretty much the same panel choice for the 1080 too, only the VA by Samsung and IPS panels from LG + Benq's VA panel used in the 35" screen.

I will update the "Links to 21.9 monitor discussion threads" to outline the different panels & tech. later on.

Good idea Nexus. I've been lazy with updating the thread I created sorry!

Slacker!!!!! :p

PCM2/badass or anyone else...

I am looking to add a "recommended viewing distance" guide for the 21.9 screens, however, I can't seem to find anything similar to HDTV's calculator for TV's. Any links or even your own suggestions?

Caporegime
OP
A huge thank you for this reply!

A few points:

- I thought the Dell was 5ms response time? This seems normal for IPS panels and something I am used to, so that's no issue.
- The LG is considerably more expensive than the Dell (£110) which would make it a £350 jump in price, I think I'd be calling myself crazy at that point.
- The real estate would actually be a drop down for me, going from 3840x2160 down to 3440x1440, but I don't think that's going to matter much to me, I find it a struggle to use all my monitor during day to day use as it is.

As for G-Sync and 144Hz, it's something I have never tried which means I have never experienced it, so I'm not sure if they're just bells and whistles that I won't enjoy. I wish there was a type of try-at-home monitor service where I wouldn't have to send them back under DSR or anything!

I've gamed on 60Hz for my entire life, I can't say I have ever noticed a lack of clarity/smoothness or anything along those lines.

Ah well, it's either the RoG Swift or the Dell U3415W, I'm scared of not having enough monitor space so I think I'm going to sway towards the latter :)

NP :)

Never go by the spec sheets for monitors, they are rarely correct especially when it comes to response time and contrast ratio figures. Here are 2 good reviews for the dell that cover the response time and input lag extremely well:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3415w.htm

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-u3415w/

Yeah personally I wouldn't choose the LG over the AOC screen either. I suppose it comes down to if you want the curve or not as well.... Mixed opinions on that.

Ah didn't realise that acer screen was 4k, thought it was 2560x1440 but yes it will be a noticeable drop in screen real estate.

For 34" I think you need to sit at least 80cm away from the monitor. As posted in my OP

http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-34-inch-21x9

That will give you measurements for you to check the width etc. dimensions.

Soldato
PCM2/badass or anyone else...

I am looking to add a "recommended viewing distance" guide for the 21.9 screens, however, I can't seem to find anything similar to HDTV's calculator for TV's. Any links or even your own suggestions?

I am a big believer in viewing distance being a 'whatever is comfortable' kind of thing. A very individual one. So I don't think there are any hard and fast rules with that. I find around 70-80cm works well for me but I know some people very happily sit closer (60cm) and some further (90cm+) from the 34" UltraWides. For me I find anything over 80cm starts eating away at the immersion factor for me and to be honest is impractical on my desk. But I don't find it comfortable sitting 60cm or closer to such a screen.

Associate
I sit between 70-100cm away from my display depending on what I am doing, tend to crouch in a little when typing, so I should be fine.

My only problem is I have £420 of credit at another retailer since it's passed the refund date for my purchase - after 3 whole RMAs - so my options are fairly limited. The 34UC97 is awfully tempting because I think it looks stunning, but after seeing a lot of problems on this forum, I'm also weary about that purchase, too.

Thanks for your help, I owe you one :)

Caporegime
OP
I suppose it is a personal preference type of thing so I will leave that out for now :) I find 70-80cm to be the sweet spot for 29" 2560x1080.

@Rowlii

Ah I see, tough choice! It sounds like the retailer you are dealing with have good return policy/customer service.... so it might be worth trying the LG 34" out and if not, just RMA it too.

Unfortunately it seems to be a lottery when it comes to getting a good monitor especially an IPS one these days :(

Associate
I have a Samsung 34".
I love it, however I do have a question.

With all the desktop space I know find myself with I like to have multiple windows open.
I am using display port. When the monitor goes to sleep i hear a noise (like when you connect and disconnect a usb device) And when I wake the monitor back up, my windows have all lost their position.

Do you know of a way to fix this? Or any program that will 'lock' their positions?
It's frustrating having to move and re-size them all the time.

Associate
I am not a huge fan of full screen (at the moment I'm using a 4k monitor), I just use this - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...outube/abjcfabbhafbcdfjoecdgepllmpfceif?hl=en - and its cinema mode allows you to expand YouTube into 16:9 size within your browser, as big as it can fit whilst maintaining that aspect ratio:

mIJA7L0.png

(Note: The black bars are only there because 16:9 doesn't fit my current browser resolution)

It's good if you want to have large Youtube videos without having to full screen the video :)

Soldato
Been using the LG 34um95 for the last year and made up with it.

+1

Games look great on it and if you got the gpu grunt to max out the games, they can look amazing.
Don't think I could get any other monitor than a super wide now, as I would miss it.

Back
Top Bottom