***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Associate
It was more of a metaphor, I tend to take negative reviews a lot closer to heart than the positive ones.

As for the Dell, I have heard a lot of problems with ghosting, and weird effects in games, but I have also heard of this not being a problem. Relating to the aforementioned metaphor, I take the negative review more to heart than a positive one.

Caporegime
OP
In TFTcentral's review, the dell has significantly higher input lag and "maximum" response time than LG's and AOC's 34" screens.

And yeah same here, 1 negative review does it for me :p What sucks is when you have 15+ people posting issues with bleed etc. for the same product and going through more than 1 of the monitor :(

Soldato
It was more of a metaphor, I tend to take negative reviews a lot closer to heart than the positive ones.

As for the Dell, I have heard a lot of problems with ghosting, and weird effects in games, but I have also heard of this not being a problem. Relating to the aforementioned metaphor, I take the negative review more to heart than a positive one.
For what it's worth I've not noticed any problems at all with my new U3415W although granted I may just not be looking in the right place. I came from a Dell 2711 for what its worth so perhaps it's just a case of they were both similarly bad. /shrug

It is absolutely spectacular though :) Genuinely jaw dropping.

Here's PCM2s comments to my question around how it would compare to my (then) Dell 2711 which persuaded me to take a chance on it.

It would be quite a different experience to your U2711. On the plus side, I reckon you'd really enjoy the extra screen space and resolution. The pixel density will actually be the same as what you're used to, so you don't have to adjust to that aspect. The screen surface is also significantly lighter (less grainy), so you should find the overall clarity really nice.

The colour reproduction is a bit different, though. Notably the U2711 is wide gamut. If you enjoy how it produces colours natively (i.e. not using the 'sRGB' mode) then you may feel the U3415W looks 'washed out'. It's possible you'd adjust to the weaker saturation, but certainly you'd have to appreciate that colours would generally be represented in a more accurate way.

IPS glow is a bit more noticeable on the Ultrawide models, from a normal viewing position, simply due to the sheer width. It's not a massive difference really and generally if IPS glow is fine to your eyes on the U2711 then it will be on the U3415W. Backlight uniformity is another matter and unfortunately seems to be a bit hit and miss on the U3415W and comparable Ultrawides. There is no specific reason to think the XR34 or XR341CK would be any different in that regard. It uses the same panel and I don't think Acer have performed any miracles with the panel placement - plus Dell are far better to deal with if you do fancy a replacement for any reason outside the CCR (new name for DSR) window.

Last edited:
Associate
Hehe, thanks! Maybe the people complaining have it set to slow response time or something, because I've seen a fair amount of people not complaining, too.

Does anyone have any idea what the difference between the 34UC97 and the 34UC87C is? From what I can tell, the latter drops USB throughput, Thunderbolt, and the amazing aesthetics for a more plain look, height adjustable stand and £100 extra to pop in your wallet.

Associate
Funnily enough, that's what made me aware of the 34UC87, unless I missed it, he doesn't really go on about the downsides to either.

Edit: Turns out he did, I just didn't catch on to it.

Ugh, I like the stand of the 97, but I don't like the fact it's not adjustable.

I think I'ma take the £100 saving and get the 87 though.

Last edited:
Associate
I never felt I needed to raise my 97 monitor personally so the lack of height adjustment never bothered me...
If it became a problem in the future with a desk/set-up change then I'd probably just make a 'V' shaped base out of wood to raise it... Or vesa mount it...
Like I said though, it's not been an issue for me... :)

Last edited:
Soldato
For what it's worth I've not noticed any problems at all with my new U3415W although granted I may just not be looking in the right place. I came from a Dell 2711 for what its worth so perhaps it's just a case of they were both similarly bad. /shrug

It is absolutely spectacular though :) Genuinely jaw dropping.

Here's PCM2s comments to my question around how it would compare to my (then) Dell 2711 which persuaded me to take a chance on it.

I'd just like to second this comment - I got my U3415W 2 weeks ago, and it still makes me grin every time I fire up a game on it.

Not noticed any issues with lag/ghosting (I have it set to "Fast" response time as apparently this makes a big difference, although with some reports of ghosting - I haven't noticed them personally).

Mostly playing Fractured Space (lots of fast light -> dark -> light transitions since it's set in space with ships and lasers flying about all over the place :p).

Also The Witcher 3, again, no problems and it looks stunning!

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Seems to be some talk on t'internet about overdriving to 75hz but with some frame skipping problems..

Not sure about the fast response option, I've read a couple of reviews which suggest it's best left on standard (for reasons I'm not sure I understand, something to do with overshoot)

Associate
So, just got an email saying I cannot in fact get a refund for the monitor I sent back... Instead I can either have a replacement or an upgrade.

Since the Dell U3415W is all they have in stock, I guess I'm going for that. I have to wait a few days then I can pay the extra, here's to hoping it's a good one.

Associate
Am holding out for a 29 inch monitor at 2560x1080 with 120/144 refresh, IPS would be nice but not essential. I can't see anything on the horizon, do you think we will see such a screen?

Back
Top Bottom