***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Caporegime
OP
Can't say that I have ever had that issue on my 29um65 via display port rowlii and phunkey. Are others having this issue?

I have updated the "links to 21.9 monitor discussion threads" part a bit, in brackets, I have now included the main stuff i.e. res. curved/flat, size, g/free sync, IPS/VA. I will only add the refresh rate if it is higher than 60HZ.

Associate
It's a very common problem with displayport, I'm not too sure what causes it, I have even gone to the level of doing a fresh OS install and nothing fixed it. It just randomly started happening one day :/

I've used both AMD and NVidia cards since then, Windows 7, 8, and 8.1, and nothing seems to fix it. Used 4 different monitors in that period as well.

Edit: Apparently this is a fix, the last time I tried it, it did not work, however I now have the "SIMULATED*" keys the answer references so I shall give it a go.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...or-power/1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa

Last edited:
Soldato
Recently went for two U2515Hs, wasn't really for me, so I'm now back on the trail for a 34" 21:9.

Has the situation with backlight bleed improved with these units, both curved and flat?

Associate
It's a very common problem with displayport, I'm not too sure what causes it, I have even gone to the level of doing a fresh OS install and nothing fixed it. It just randomly started happening one day :/

I've used both AMD and NVidia cards since then, Windows 7, 8, and 8.1, and nothing seems to fix it. Used 4 different monitors in that period as well.

Edit: Apparently this is a fix, the last time I tried it, it did not work, however I now have the "SIMULATED*" keys the answer references so I shall give it a go.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...or-power/1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa

Most likely it depends on the fact that when you switch off the monitor or send it to sleep for some reason windows reads it as you physically disconnected it. As you said already it may be due to windows power managment, but also to the cable. You should try different ones and make sure they have 19 pins instead of 20. This is a very well known topic (the 19/20 pins one I mean) but basically the point is that some cables send backwards a signal (which is actually voltage, hence potentially dangerous) to the gpu and create a loop of current that simply shouldn't exists. Problem is this may only be part of the problem but it's worth trying.

Also, try enabling DP1.1 instead of DP1.2 from your OSD.

Associate
but also to the cable. You should try different ones and make sure they have 19 pins instead of 20. This is a very well known topic (the 19/20 pins one I mean) but basically the point is that some cables send backwards a signal (which is actually voltage, hence potentially dangerous) to the gpu and create a loop of current that simply shouldn't exists. Problem is this may only be part of the problem but it's worth trying.

Also, try enabling DP1.1 instead of DP1.2 from your OSD.

I've never heard about this. I just have a mini DP + a regular DP cable that I have been using, do you have any suggestions?

I need to use DP1.2 as I use 4k @ 60Hz, and moving to DP1.1 didn't solve anything anyway.

Associate
I only have two DP cables, both of which have 20 pins. One is mDP to DP, the other is DP to DP, my current GPU only has full sized DP so I'm out of luck.

Associate
I've never heard about this. I just have a mini DP + a regular DP cable that I have been using, do you have any suggestions?

MiniDP and standard ones makes no difference, bar I never heard of a 19pin MiniDP cable :p

Basically all DP cables are 20 pins, but since this problem started to be reported (the current loop) some manufacturers shielded the 20th. It's still there but it doesn't make any contact. Just amazon "DP cable 19pin" and you should find some.

I need to use DP1.2 as I use 4k @ 60Hz, and moving to DP1.1 didn't solve anything anyway.
There are no 4k 21.9 so you must be talking about 3440x1440 I guess. In any case the DP1.1 thingy is a workaround and it will work even with said res, even if it's theoretically not supported by DP1.1. Only problem is on a fresh windows install because if you set 1.1 from the osd and then reinstall win, it will work @30Hz. Long story short: start your monitor with DP1.2 enabled, set it up in windows as 3440x1440@60hz then set DP1.1 from OSD. It will keep on working @60hz. Why? Don't ask me. If you use a 19pin cable you should have reduced the risk of disconnection to the minimum (should be zero actually).

Associate
No - I am currently on a 4k monitor - I'm planning to get a 21:9 so I've been lurking (and posting when it comes to this thread) on this subforum.

Associate
Ah ok. So you can scratch all the stuff about the DP1.1 from OSD (it regards these panels only afaik) and retain those about the 19pins cables. Again, it's no golden truth but something worth checking if you have the chance.

Associate
I've just noticed that the LG 34UC97 is 9.5cm smaller than the Acer B276HK... That's a huge difference when I'm measuring it with a tape measure.. That's put me off a little.

Associate
I'm on about actual physical height, stand included. The Acer B276HK is 56CM tall, ish. The LG 34UC97 is 47.5cm.

Maybe I'm being pedantic and I need to sit on my chair a little closer to the ground :p

Associate
Hehe, yep. I've gone IPS224V > 25UM65-P and I have a 25UM55 laying around as a replacement monitor when I have been RMA'ing my current. I've had a pleasant experience with LG monitors so far.

Oh well, tomorrow I'm going to ask said retailer if I can exchange it for either the LG or the Dell, depending on whether they will price match the LG with another retailer.

Caporegime
OP
Personally I can't say that I have had a good experience with LG, I had to go through 2 of the 29um65 to get one that was free of severe bleed (second RMA had a dead pixel as well). With my second one, I tried contacting them to see if I could get the monitor repaired rather than just RMA'ing non-stop but there reply was more or less along the lines of:

that is within acceptable levels of bleed and we advise you to use the monitor in a bright environment with a low brightness

lol......

What my second monitor @ 20% brightness looked like....

FwBuGhel.jpg

It was also noticeable during the day/bright scenarios and with normal usage.

My third one was a lot better, still not perfect but it will do until I get something better later in the year.

Associate
"We advise you to use the monitor in a bright environment with low brightness"

... What? Are you supposed to have all your lights on during the winter?

I've luckily never had to RMA a monitor based on backlight bleed/dead pixels. Researching monitors over the weekend has gotten me pretty excited - I didn't think I would be when I'm essentially downgrading my real estate, but at the same time, immersion matters more when gaming!

Thanks for your help/general chatter by the way, you have been very helpful and friendly :)

Caporegime
OP
I know.... It has to be the dumbest thing that I have ever read :o

Gibbo created a thread a while ago where supposedly LG wanted feedback on their monitors etc.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18665128

However, lack of/zero communication from LG on the points we brought up = bad move in my books + with their latest products, it doesn't seem like they listened.... that was their chance to gain back my and I'm sure others interest/respect but they messed up afaic.

Of course, there will be people who will have had a great experience with them, like with any company out there, some good & some bad reports.

I have only had 2 other LCD monitors, a TN samsung 19" and a dell u2311h, both were perfect.

hehe no problem, that is what happens when we are in one of the greatest threads ever! :p ;)

Last edited:
Associate
I know.... It has to be the dumbest thing that I have ever read :o

Gibbo created a thread a while ago where supposedly LG wanted feedback on their monitors etc.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18665128

However, lack of/zero communication from LG on the points we brought up = bad move in my books + with their latest products, it doesn't seem like they listened.... that was their chance to gain back my and I'm sure others interest/respect but they messed up afaic.

Of course, there will be people who will have had a great experience with them, like with any company out there, some good & some bad reports.

I have only had 2 other LCD monitors, a TN samsung 19" and a dell u2311h, both were perfect.

hehe no problem, that is what happens when we are in one of the greatest threads ever! :p ;)

I hate how 1 negative review seems to outweigh the many positive reviews, as with anything really.

Good news is that the other retailer decided they would offer me a full refund for my item, which means I have a little bit more freedom of choice; however the 34UC97 is still looking like the monitor to get for me. The X34 G-Sync is just way too expensive.. £920 is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom