***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Caporegime
OP
Ah, didn't realise Phix had updated his post about that 35" screen. I was referring to the LG 34" 1440

The AOC 35" freesync range is 45–160Hz

Caporegime
OP
Tbh all the UW VA screens seem rather poor for when it comes to motion clarity with that smear trailing etc. :( And don't they all have issues with noticeable banding?

Just looking at my bro's nexus 6p and all i can say is thay I so badly want an oled monitor, it just trashes LCD in every way.

Soldato
Tbh all the UW VA screens seem rather poor for when it comes to motion clarity with that smear trailing etc. :( And don't they all have issues with noticeable banding?

Just looking at my bro's nexus 6p and all i can say is thay I so badly want an oled monitor, it just trashes LCD in every way.

In my testing the Samsung S34E790C actually had superior motion clarity overall than the Dell U3415W. So I certainly look forward to the upcoming C34F791WD. There are indeed some weaknesses with some pixel responsiveness (as is always the case for VA) but it is unlike any other VA model on the market for overall pixel responsiveness. The C3583FQ is simply nowhere near achieving such a good balance - despite the refresh rate increase, the pixel responsiveness is noticeably worse than on the Samsung. And I wouldn't say that they all have problems with 'noticeable banding'. In most cases it's simply that people are observing banded source images so the monitor simply displays that correctly. Yes there is what I would call fairly minor banding in places, but that's not exclusive to VA panels nor is it something most users should have an issue with.

Last edited:
Caporegime
In my testing the Samsung S34E790C actually had superior motion clarity overall than the likes of the Dell U3415W. So I certainly look forward to the upcoming C34E791WD. There are certainly some weaknesses with some pixel responsiveness (as is always the case for VA) but it is unlike any other VA model on the market for overall pixel responsiveness. The C3583FQ is simply nowhere near achieving such a good balance - despite the refresh rate increase, the pixel responsiveness is noticeably worse than on the Samsung. And I wouldn't say that they all have problems with 'noticeable banding'. In most cases it's simply that people are observing banded source images so the monitor simply displays that correctly. Yes there is what I would call fairly minor banding in places, but that's not exclusive to VA panels nor is it something most users should have an issue with.

Is the new Samsung going to be just 60hz ?

Caporegime
OP
I have read that the Samsung will be 100HZ, initially there was talk of it being 144HZ with display port 1.3 and iirc, it will have freesync too. I hope it is really good as I would love the higher contrast ratio and deeper blacks but no doubt it will be mighty expensive if the current Samsung 34" 1440 is anything to go by :(

In my testing the Samsung S34E790C actually had superior motion clarity overall than the Dell U3415W. So I certainly look forward to the upcoming C34F791WD. There are indeed some weaknesses with some pixel responsiveness (as is always the case for VA) but it is unlike any other VA model on the market for overall pixel responsiveness. The C3583FQ is simply nowhere near achieving such a good balance - despite the refresh rate increase, the pixel responsiveness is noticeably worse than on the Samsung. And I wouldn't say that they all have problems with 'noticeable banding'. In most cases it's simply that people are observing banded source images so the monitor simply displays that correctly. Yes there is what I would call fairly minor banding in places, but that's not exclusive to VA panels nor is it something most users should have an issue with.

Ah yeah, forgot about that Samsung screen and yup, the dell is shocking for response times, surprising, considering all the other 34" 1440 IPS were pretty good.

Fair enough about the banding and motion clarity/smearing, I just recall of a lot of people mentioning banding + black crush in a few games like elite in comparison to their IPS monitors.

Soldato
I want a new monitor ASAP but I can't drop 900 on the x34... I feel GYSYNC is overpriced. :(

I've found gsync is well worth the cash mate, seriously I cant recommend it enough. You loved the Dell U3415 bar the light bleed the X34 is so much better in terms of higher refresh rate, better response times, negligible blb and gsync. Yes the X34 isnt cheap but it really has been one of the best pc related purchases I have made in a long time.

Look at it this way worst case scenario its going to cost you about £20 to give it a home demo. Unless you get unlucky and get a bad panel I cant see you sending it back. ;)

Plus I've just checked and its on special offer at the moment, I call that fate.... :D

Soldato
I have read that the Samsung will be 100HZ, initially there was talk of it being 144HZ with display port 1.3 and iirc, it will have freesync too. I hope it is really good as I would love the higher contrast ratio and deeper blacks but no doubt it will be mighty expensive if the current Samsung 34" 1440 is anything to go by :(

Ah yeah, forgot about that Samsung screen and yup, the dell is shocking for response times, surprising, considering all the other 34" 1440 IPS were pretty good.

Fair enough about the banding and motion clarity/smearing, I just recall of a lot of people mentioning banding + black crush in a few games like elite in comparison to their IPS monitors.

Samsung are certainly developing/producing a number of 100Hz VA panels that are 3440 x 1440 and have various degrees of curvature. But whether or not one is used in this model is not yet confirmed. And IPS models often mask banding for the dark shades which people often complain about quite nicely with their IPS glow. Due to the stronger contrast and lack of said glow it simply sticks out a lot more on VA panels.

Soldato
That's that ruled out.:(

The curve is very much a feature of that and indeed all of the Samsung models revealed so far this year. But they seem to be producing a range of 100Hz 3440 x 1440 panels so I'd like to think they will be releasing some less curved alternatives further down the line. What I have learnt from my experience with curved screens, though, is that no matter how steep the curve is it's always a lot less noticeable than you'd think. And certainly less noticeable than when viewed from a distance or funny angle on a video. The curvature of some of these screens would be enough to annoy people who do 'serious work' I'm sure, but not enough to mess up the general desktop or gaming experience and actually bringing some benefit to gaming in my view.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah no doubt for gaming and media, curve wouldn't be so bad but I imagine for browsing, photoshop etc. it would be extremely annoying.

Samsung are certainly developing/producing a number of 100Hz VA panels that are 3440 x 1440 and have various degrees of curvature. But whether or not one is used in this model is not yet confirmed. And IPS models often mask banding for the dark shades which people often complain about quite nicely with their IPS glow. Due to the stronger contrast and lack of said glow it simply sticks out a lot more on VA panels.

Maybe IPS glow isn't such a bad thing in the end then :p

Caporegime
OP
Same or preferably with a good VA panel and freesync... :p Unfortunately no one seems to be interested in making 29" 1080P any more :(

Soldato
What's the freesync range on that ?

It is **** :p

55-75

No point going for it when the acer is cheaper and does 30-75HZ

Pretty sure its 45-160hz

Source: https://pcmonitors.info/aoc/aoc-c3583fq-with-35-144hz-curved-va-plus-freesync/

I'm currently reviewing the AOC C3583FQ as it happens. I haven't really done any detailed testing yet but it seems to me to be somewhat less responsive than the Acer Z35. I'm not sure if it's the fact I've been using the S2716DG for a while now (which is obviously very responsive), although comparing my visual results on TestUFO also reinforces the idea of it having worse pixel responsiveness than the Acer. It certainly doesn't look like a 160Hz monitor, even if it does feel like one to a large extent.

Arrw darn that stinks.. had hoped for a proper contenter to the acer monitor.

Back
Top Bottom