***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Caporegime
I'm finding my 34“ ultra wide AOC a bit small now. Need a 42" ultrawide.

Youre kidding right?

You can't possible see anymore of the sides of the screen when gaming..?

I'm wider than you all with 2 x monitors 16:9 so there:p

But only game on one.

I got the 32" Benq 16:9 and sent it back it was to big...In fact I felt daft sat in front of it..

Like a kid sitting to close to the TV.:p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
29" UWA is a bit too small IMO once you've owned a 34" and use a 29" for a bit (owned both). 34" 1440 UWA is the ultimate sweet spot IMO for size and picture quality.

Caporegime
OP
29" UWA is a bit too small IMO once you've owned a 34" and use a 29" for a bit (owned both). 34" 1440 UWA is the ultimate sweet spot IMO for size and picture quality.

Only thing that bothers me with the 29" is the height, about another 1-2" taller and it would be perfect for me.

Caporegime
OP
Hopefully OLED comes soon as after comparing a 6P (OLED 5.7" screen) to my 29um65 IPS monitor, OLED just destroys the monitor in every way possible and then proceeds to nuke it from orbit a hundred times for colours, contrast ratio and viewing angles :D

Until sensibly priced OLED monitors arrive which probably won't be till 2018, my next monitor is definitely going to be VA based, I badly need a higher contrast ratio display than the pitiful CR of IPS and TN screens :(

Last edited:
Soldato
How far off are we talking for 144hz 30" 1440P monitors? Arent VA panels quite bad for input lag?

I'm really wanting to upgrade my monitor to a superwide but there doesnt seem to be anything thats 144hz, 1440p FreeSync and low input lag

Soldato
I rescind some of what I said about the AOC C3583FQ in comparison with the Acer Z35 having done more thorough testing. It does have slightly more widespread trailing and some slower pixel responses than the Acer, but is free from noticeable overshoot even at 160Hz using its optimal setting. The fact that I was used to the Dell S2716DG meant the AOC was a bit of a system shock, but this was made worse by the fact that I have to use a significantly slower AMD GPU which I own to test FreeSync. I was of course using a GTX 980Ti so the frame rates from my initial testing didn't really make for a good comparison there. It's actually difficult to achieve 160fps in many of the titles I'm testing with a Radeon 290 without killing the visuals. ;)

The AOC does benefit from the 160Hz refresh rate, but there are definite weaknesses from pixel responsiveness. This was the case with the Acer, although in different places and some of it replaced by overshoot instead. So I wouldn't rule out the AOC based on what I'd said initially as it was a bit misleading. Should be publishing the full review by the end of next week, which will paint a clearer picture.

Soldato
I rescind some of what I said about the AOC C3583FQ in comparison with the Acer Z35 having done more thorough testing. It does have slightly more widespread trailing and some slower pixel responses than the Acer, but is free from noticeable overshoot even at 160Hz using its optimal setting. The fact that I was used to the Dell S2716DG meant the AOC was a bit of a system shock, but this was made worse by the fact that I have to use a significantly slower AMD GPU which I own to test FreeSync. I was of course using a GTX 980Ti so the frame rates from my initial testing didn't really make for a good comparison there. It's actually difficult to achieve 160fps in many of the titles I'm testing with a Radeon 290 without killing the visuals. ;)

The AOC does benefit from the 160Hz refresh rate, but there are definite weaknesses from pixel responsiveness. This was the case with the Acer, although in different places and some of it replaced by overshoot instead. So I wouldn't rule out the AOC based on what I'd said initially as it was a bit misleading. Should be publishing the full review by the end of next week, which will paint a clearer picture.

Good to know and thanks for your thorough thoughts on it maybe it might float my boat anyway.. should i switch sides

Soldato
Youre kidding right?

You can't possible see anymore of the sides of the screen when gaming..?

I'm wider than you all with 2 x monitors 16:9 so there:p

But only game on one.

I got the 32" Benq 16:9 and sent it back it was to big...In fact I felt daft sat in front of it..

Like a kid sitting to close to the TV.:p

I don't kid. I find my 32" 1440p Acer 16.9 monitor great size. That height with 21.9 width. Then I'm done. Have multiple set ups and my racing one with a 42“ screen. The 34“* ultrawide is on my main rig.

Soldato
I'm lucky I'm happy to have games fixed @60fps. As, I've said in many posts I've purposely avoided seeing and using g/free sync and have not even used a monitor above 60htz (except for crt back in the day) and I think my old Sony went to 85htz but I don't recall being aware then of the benefits of refresh rates.
Eventually I'll have no option to go beyond 60htz and use gsync but I'm a bit anal and have multiple set ups and it'd would cost a small fortune to set up them all with top end graphics and monitors. I still believe my 34“ ultrawide isn't big enough size for me but I'm not complaining just wanting more.

Soldato
Movies will look stunning, I can't wait!!!!

Gotta have Gsync though tbh, couldn't game without it now :cool::cool::cool:

i dont have any issue dropping gsync if the screen itself is perfect and by perfect i mean 0 glow, backlight bleed and perfect colors and minimal smearing/motion blur. I know its easy for anyone to say they can live without gsync or variable refresh rate tech but this entire day i've played without it. I'm used to using vsync with an fps limiter to remove 95% of the added input lag so i dont mind going back to that. Now that said the only issue will be that one odd game or 2 aka ubisoft titles that will have weird frame drops you can do jack about, there gsync will be missed.

Caporegime
i dont have any issue dropping gsync if the screen itself is perfect and by perfect i mean 0 glow, backlight bleed and perfect colors and minimal smearing/motion blur. I know its easy for anyone to say they can live without gsync or variable refresh rate tech but this entire day i've played without it. I'm used to using vsync with an fps limiter to remove 95% of the added input lag so i dont mind going back to that. Now that said the only issue will be that one odd game or 2 aka ubisoft titles that will have weird frame drops you can do jack about, there gsync will be missed.

Well tbh they'll probably have a good res bump too, putting more pressure on graphical horsepower.

I'll be happy to wait 2.5/3yrs before they come, more than happy with the X34 :)

Back
Top Bottom