***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Caporegime
I've found gsync is well worth the cash mate, seriously I cant recommend it enough. You loved the Dell U3415 bar the light bleed the X34 is so much better in terms of higher refresh rate, better response times, negligible blb and gsync. Yes the X34 isnt cheap but it really has been one of the best pc related purchases I have made in a long time.

Look at it this way worst case scenario its going to cost you about £20 to give it a home demo. Unless you get unlucky and get a bad panel I cant see you sending it back. ;)

Plus I've just checked and its on special offer at the moment, I call that fate.... :D

Shurrrruuup!:p

Caporegime
OP
Decided to update my brief review of the LG 29UM65 and added a few slightly better photos

JyfK3dGh.jpg

Below is a brief review of the LG 29UM65 ultrawide monitor, which comes in at about £280.

Unfortunately my first two units had extremely bad backlight bleed, mainly the bottom left corner and the second one also had a dead pixel in the central area. It seems like this is quite a common problem with these LG 21.9 ultra wide monitors as a number of users on various forums have reported the same issue as well as a few of the 34" model owners... This third one is a lot better but still not "perfect", however, under normal conditions, the bleed & IPS glow is not noticeable.

My first monitor @ 20% brightness:

OxuSEOSl.jpg

Second monitor @ 20% brightness:

FwBuGhel.jpg

The photos make the bleed and IPS glow look worse than what it really was like. It was mainly the bottom left that was very noticeable even during daylight usage.

I contacted LG directly for the second one to see if they could repair it rather than me doing another RMA and getting an even worse one, however, their response was an absolute joke, essentially they told me to "only use the monitor during the day and with a low brightness", needless to say, I cut the guy off there and proceeded to sort a RMA out with the retailer.

I was determined to get a good one as there was nothing else on the market that interested me at all and I didn't fancy any of the other 29" monitors due to them having their own downfalls.

Packaging:

The box is relatively small considering the size of the monitor. The monitor and items are well protected.

KdlEShXh.jpg

Along with the monitor, we receive one HDMI cable, audio cables and the power brick (which is pretty small, it is a bit longer than a credit/debit card with the width being smaller than a credit/debit card) + power cord.

Features:

- Screen size: 29"

- Panel Type: IPS

- Aspect Ratio: 21:9

- Resolution: 2560x1080

- Brightness: 300 cd/m2

- Contrast Ratio: 50000000:1

- Viewing Angle: 178/178

- Colour Depth: 16.7M (8-Bit)

- Pixel Pitch: 0.315 x 0.310 mm

- Colour Gamut: sRGB

- Surface Treatment: Hard Coating (3H), Anti-Glare

- Connectivity: 1x DVI-D, 2x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort

- Dimensions (with stand) - 702.5 x 181 x 418.2
- Dimensions (without stand) - 702.5 x 63.8 x 328.2

- Warranty: 2 years

Aesthetics and Stand:

The monitor looks absolutely gorgeous overall, due to the bezel free edges at the top and sides (as in no plastic chassis sticking out), the front looks very sleek. My only complaints with the aesthetics are; the LG symbol AND "LG" writing at the front, only need to have the one there, not both... and the glossy plastic finish, I still don't know why manufacturers insist on using glossy plastic these days, it just looks cheap and is a finger print magnet, give me a matte finish any day of the week!

Jg5wikGh.jpg

PXdw03zh.jpg

Underneath the power LED, we have a directional joystick for controlling the OSD, which in my eyes is better than having 5+ buttons to use like you get with DELL monitors. The OSD menu is nicely laid out, it is easy to use and best of all, there is an option to turn off the power LED. Although some sections could be better organised.

psuKQ2Oh.jpg

The rear ports on the back face outward, which I much prefer to downward facing ports, I find it much easier to connect and disconnect cables. We also have VESA mounting holes (75x75)

VIOdIWmh.jpg

The stand is very basic, you only have angle adjustment and two height choices, with the max height still being a bit too low, a box will fix this though :p Dell still have the best stands out there.

Image quality:

Unfortunately, my camera will not do this screen any justice so you will just have to take my word!

JyfK3dGh.jpg

Out of the box, the screen looks well calibrated already although it is far too bright but then they did have the brightness set to 100%...... the cinema preset mode looks more accurate though, I will go into this more later on. I think the right side of my monitor is a bit darker than the left side.

A photo/snapshot from a video of a black screen @20% brightness, once again, the camera makes the bleed/glow/blacks look worse than what it really is, the top and bottom left is IPS glow as if I move the camera and my head more towards that area, it disappears, if this was bleed, it would remain visible no matter how I view the corner.

QBHQawTh.png.jpg

The screen looks absolutely amazing, it is extremely bright, so much that I have the brightness set to 10% and my PC/monitor sits right beside a big velux window too.

After much testing and tweaking, I have found a brightness of 10% and contrast of 66 with everything else on default except colour temperature set to custom to look the most accurate to my eyes. I have set my brightness to 10% in order to achieve an ideal contrast ratio. Whilst the official specs state a "50000000:1" contrast ratio, with proper calibration for "normal" usage, this is impossible for an IPS display, you can expect the contrast ratio to be between 1000 & 1400 on this particular model, remember all panels will vary slightly though.

Cinema mode is probably the best preset, however, I find it to be too aggressive on the gamma and contrast, the two other presets are awful; game mode is far too blue & photo mode over saturates the colours especially red.

The anti-glare coating seems really good, not too aggressive and not too light, the clarity/sharpness is very good (virtually no grainy look to it), definitely better than my Dell U2311H anti-glare coating.

gxvlDcAh.jpg

Once I got the monitor set to my ideal settings as above, I went to Lagom LCD test web site to properly test it:

Black test; all 20 grey squares are distinguishable

White saturation test; all 12 patterns are distinguishable

Gamma Calibration; to my eyes, it looks like the darker & lighter bands blend in at 2.2 (the ideal gamma setting for all displays)

Banding; If I look very closely, I can just about detect some banding

Once again though, in order to get the best and most accurate gamma, colour temperature, RGB values etc. you NEED a hardware calibrator.

As usual with good IPS panels, the viewing angles are great. The top left of this monitor is quite bad for IPS glow on a black/dark screen though once you view it from the right side.

Also, the "warm up" time from when you first turn the monitor on is very short i.e. it is very bright within milliseconds, with my Dell U2311H, it would take a few minutes till the brightness was at its peak.

The area where this monitor really shines and the sole reason I bought it is because of films, the majority of films take the full screen up so no black bars that you get with 16.9/16.10 screens. Of course there are a number of films that aren't shot in the 21.9 aspect ratio i.e. Ant Man, however, with the right media player, you can zoom in, this works pretty well for most films and the quality, sharpness still looks great especially if you sit further back. Most TV shows will have black bars at the side. With the content that has black bars at the side, the video image will be the same size as a 23" 16.9 monitor.

N9pHZgSh.jpg

nILDgWnh.jpg

pERq0eAh.jpg

1C8EgkEh.jpg

1AeR7vqh.jpg

The majority of games also work well with the 21.9 aspect ratio. Some will have no problems at all where as others might have a few issues i.e. cut scenes & menus, the screen will go back to 16.9 so black bars at the side and the UI/HUD will still be in 16.9 format i.e. Assassins Creed Syndicate and GTA 5

FCMvSLOh.jpg

OrrOPynh.jpg

Thankfully there are a few games that have no HUD or have been developed with 21.9 in mind, some might require a bit of messing around in cfg files though i.e. Fallout 4:

G0OTd3Ch.jpg

xiMonB2h.jpg

bKQ3dG0h.jpg

46f1Isah.jpg

J9kLnYPh.jpg

EIbLIKyh.jpg

F1fSLk1h.jpg

N4s3Ls6h.jpg

IigdLa5h.jpg

tzkEEVWh.jpg

As you can probably tell from that last photo of BF 4, you also get more FOV at the sides, which is superb for vehicle game play, especially when flying jets. Not much of a MMORPG or racing gamer but I am sure that those sort of games would look even better on this monitor.

You can enable the 21.9 aspect ratio via file tweaks with most games that don't support the aspect ratio out of the box.

There is a fantastic program that will properly support ultrawide and give the proper FOV now called flawless widescreen

For more info. on which games do and don't support the 21.9 aspect ratio, check this thread out as well as this youtube channel.

I don't have the proper equipment to test the input lag, however, going by the AOC, ASUS and other newer LG 29" monitor reviews, the input lag should be about 5-13ms.

In Linus's youtube review he says that he finds this monitor noticeably snappier than the 34UM95.

There are multiple settings for the response time in the OSD menu; off (highest response time), low, middle and high (lowest response time). After much testing, I have found the "high" setting to be the best, it has the least motion blur with some inverse ghosting and feels a little bit more responsive than the "medium" preset to me, I used this site to test all the options.

I can't say that I feel at any disadvantage in FPS shooters with this monitor, I still do well. Of course if you are a serious FPS gamer and don't mind not having the best image quality, colours, viewing angles etc. then you should be looking at TN 144Hz monitors.

For general usage i.e. browsing, windows etc. I don't have any complaints about the 1080P vertical height res. I see some comments from people on a number of forums who regard it to be an "utterly stupid vertical height res.", true, you have to put in a lot more effort to scroll the middle mouse wheel a bit more often to see the next line...

You can easily watch a video plus read a web page on this ultrawide monitor. Three windows is a bit a too cramped for my liking.

CU3dMFGh.png.jpg

Now this is the only other area that is rather disappointing, the majority of youtube videos out there will have black borders all the way around the actual video i.e.

QpTmBLth.jpg

There are a few videos, which support the 21.9 aspect ratio though.

9OLzcKgh.jpg

Thankfully there is a superb chrome extension to fix this issue.

Conclusion:

All in all, I couldn't be happier. The monitor does everything I wanted. For any type of media and even general usage for browsing, 21.9 aspect ratio is superior to 16.9/16.10 in my opinion.

Films and games have that cinematic look now, which simply put, feels a lot more immersive than 16.9/16.10 aspect ratio monitors.

There are other 29" ultrawide monitors out there using the same panel but none of them ticked all the boxes like this LG model, we have the following:

AOC - stand looks really bad plus is sat too far forward (problem for me since my desk depth is already very small), build issues
Dell - would have been my choice due to their superb service and swap on door service (wouldn't have minded paying the extra £100 just for that), unfortunately the input lag is very high
ASUS - seems like the best screen all round for performance and image quality etc. but there are quite a few negative posts on their customer service/RMA, issues with build quality, no VESA mounting holes and a £100 more

So really the only area where LG could improve this monitor is; the stand, better QC and a matte plastic finish

Pros:

• Good price considering what you get
  • Great image quality all round thanks to a decent contrast ratio, amazing anti glare finish & good out of the box calibration settings
  • The 21.9 aspect ratio is just sublime, gaming is much more immersive and being able to watch films without black bars is stunning
  • VESA 75x75mm mount
  • No chassis bezel + thin bezel/black borders

Cons:

• Lottery as to if you will get a good one or not with regards to back light bleed i.e. QC testing is crap by LG
  • Glossy plastic finish
  • Very basic stand, only two height adjustments available, which are hindered by two screws i.e. not free moving like DELL's stands

Soldato
Dell 34"

- better customer service
- looks great + has a superb stand, build etc.

However,

- still just as likely to have bleed issues as the others
- higher response times and quite a bit more input lag than the other 34" screens

I would advise trying the AOC 34" or LG instead, even though CS isn't as good or if you spend a bit more and look around you could consider the samsung 34" too, it is a VA panel so:

- not quite as sharp looking as the IPS
- better blacks/contrast ratio so things will pop more especially in dark content
- very little risk of having bleed/glow issues
- very responsive for a VA (iirc less input lag than the IPS screens) but response time when it comes to dark to bright and vice versa transitions aren't as good

Depends entirely on the end user when it comes to 144hz, gsync etc. if you are:

- very sensitive to motion clarity i.e. when you pan the camera in games quickly you don't like the smeary/blurry look
- very sensitive to screen tearing and want pure smoothness in games and you aren't satisfied with in game vsync or windowed borderless mode to do this
- can maintain at least 100FPS most of the time to make proper use of 144HZ

Then you might prefer the gsync, 144hz screen.

If you:

- want just an incredibly immersive experience
- better viewing angles
- better image quality in pretty much every way
- considerably more real estate (see my res. image comparison)

Then get the 21.9 34" screen

First .. great sum up there nexus.. I would however like to add one thing people seems to forget to mention when they recommend variable refresh rate and that is that even if you are gaming using gsync/freesync if you drop to low on the fps it will blur a good deal and only get worse the lower you go. Now how bad it feels is different from person to person but to me its one of the major issues with variable refresh gaming as its adverticed as being great for lower fps gaming when in reality its really not if you are the kind that hates blur/smearing. Im not hammering nvidia/AMD for this as its not something they can do anything about due to the nature of monitors these days.

Caporegime
OP
Yup completely agree, I sort of touched upon it with the "can maintain at least 100FPS most of the time to make proper use of 144HZ" but should have explained it better looking back now :p IMO, it is rather pointless buying these high refresh rate screens if you can't maintain the FPS required to get the "full" benefit from them.

However, I would rather have g/free sync than no g/free sync when at those FPS, as at least the stuttering and tearing is gone.

That is one reason why I didn't get the 3440x1440 screen in the end and probably won't until we have single GPU's capable of running games on mostly max settings with at least a constant 60 FPS. For myself, anything less than 50 just feels and looks horrible even if there is no "stutter"

This is why I also badly want a 144HZ 2560x1080 29" free/g sync screen, it would make for a great gaming screen "overall", you would get the 21.9 goodness, decent enough PPI, easy enough res. to run high FPS with mostly max settings with current top end single GPU cards.

It is a shame that review sites, especially tftcentral and pcmonitors didn't do more reviews of the 29" screens when they were released as there is little to no interest in them these days, maybe it is just the consumer base in general as well, no demand for them so reviewers don't see the point of reviewing them.

Soldato
Yup completely agree, I sort of touched upon it with the "can maintain at least 100FPS most of the time to make proper use of 144HZ" but should have explained it better looking back now :p IMO, it is rather pointless buying these high refresh rate screens if you can't maintain the FPS required to get the "full" benefit from them.

However, I would rather have g/free sync than no g/free sync when at those FPS, as at least the stuttering and tearing is gone.

That is one reason why I didn't get the 3440x1440 screen in the end and probably won't until we have single GPU's capable of running games on mostly max settings with at least a constant 60 FPS. For myself, anything less than 50 just feels and looks horrible even if there is no "stutter"

This is why I also badly want a 144HZ 2560x1080 29" free/g sync screen, it would make for a great gaming screen "overall", you would get the 21.9 goodness, decent enough PPI, easy enough res. to run high FPS with mostly max settings with current top end single GPU cards.

It is a shame that review sites, especially tftcentral and pcmonitors didn't do more reviews of the 29" screens when they were released as there is little to no interest in them these days, maybe it is just the consumer base in general as well, no demand for them so reviewers don't see the point of reviewing them.

Well having tried multiple gsync screens on multiple nvidia cards i can i absolutely hate playing any games at less than 55fps.. and ive seen it several times that once you get below 50 there is something that feels like stutter to me but its not classic stutter but more scan and hold image which create a sort of slideshow effect. Now it seems very few are sensitive to this as everyone rolls their head at me i mention it but its a real issue for me.

Soldato
Well having tried multiple gsync screens on multiple nvidia cards i can i absolutely hate playing any games at less than 55fps.. and ive seen it several times that once you get below 50 there is something that feels like stutter to me but its not classic stutter but more scan and hold image which create a sort of slideshow effect. Now it seems very few are sensitive to this as everyone rolls their head at me i mention it but its a real issue for me.

I know exactly what you mean. I think some people get a bit carried away with G-SYNC and FreeSync expecting that it will turn low frame rates into higher frame rates. But even without stuttering from the traditional frame rate and refresh rate mismatches, there is a definite lack of fluidity at lower frame rates. The effect is more obvious to most people at even lower frame rates.

If people aren't sensitive to this and they are trying to get their heads around it, imagine an extreme example of say 20fps - things would quite literally be a slideshow even if not 'stuttering' in the sense of frame and refresh rate mismatch. The sensitivity of some, myself included, means that this feeling creeps in at much higher but still relatively low frame rates such as 55fps.

And Nexus, part of the reason I personally didn't review more 29" models is simply because they weren't made available to me. Most are from LG and they are simply not possible to work with as an independent UK reviewer, with no interest whatsoever in providing review samples it seems. Having said that, I provided a very detailed review of the AOC Q2963PM and that really reflects the performance of many other screens using that or similar panels. I have also promoted the resolution and aspect ratio tirelessly as well as recommended various 29" 2560 x 1080 screens to users in the past, but it seems many people see them as just too squat. They're not happy with the physical dimensions and general interest in that particular screen size really is quite limited. This contrasts strongly with the 34" models, which whilst considerably more expensive are seen as more worthwhile by more users. They're certainly where the interest of my fairly broad user base sits at the moment.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Ah shame that, most companies these days only seem to be interested in giving monitors to youtubers with lots of subscribers who essentially just read the spec list for 5 minutes with fancy video presentation skills... :/

29" certainly does get a panning for the height and vertical res., shame really as I find 2560x1080 21.9 great for productivity and whilst 1440 would be better, imo it isn't as bad as people make it out to be. If I had to choose between the 2, the physical height certainly bugs me more than the 1080 res. Personally I rather have a 29" 1080 over a 27" 1440 screen.

I would love the extra height of a 34" screen but I just have a feeling that it would be too wide for me.

Soldato
Ah shame that, most companies these days only seem to be interested in giving monitors to youtubers with lots of subscribers who essentially just read the spec list for 5 minutes with fancy video presentation skills... :/

29" certainly does get a panning for the height and vertical res., shame really as I find 2560x1080 21.9 great for productivity and whilst 1440 would be better, imo it isn't as bad as people make it out to be. If I had to choose between the 2, the physical height certainly bugs me more than the 1080 res. Personally I rather have a 29" 1080 over a 27" 1440 screen.

I would love the extra height of a 34" screen but I just have a feeling that it would be too wide for me.

LG are just shooting themselves in the foot with their lack of communication with me to be honest. If you search for any of their recent models numbers on Google - if I've discussed them on my website - my news pieces have excellent visibility. I have no trouble reaching the sort of users they need to reach or giving them the information they crave. It isn't LG themselves though, it's their PR company who seem to completely ignore any contact I make with them. 'Daniel - LG' getting in touch with them (if he remembered) didn't yield any results either - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29191262#post29191262. So I've reached a complete dead-end there. And frankly I've got lots of great contacts who are really friendly and easy to work with for the other manufacturers, so I'm not going to bend over backwards to accommodate LG if they are going to be difficult.

Ranting aside, there are some 30" UltraWide panels on the way from AUO (2560 x 1080 and 3440 x 1440 parts, 144Hz VA) which might interest those who wanted just a little bit of extra screen space or a higher resolution.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
LG are just shooting themselves in the foot with their lack of communication with me to be honest. If you search for any of their recent models numbers on Google - if I've discussed them on my website - my news pieces have excellent visibility. I have no trouble reaching the sort of users they need to reach or giving them the information they crave. It isn't LG themselves though, it's their PR company who seem to completely ignore any contact I make with them. 'Daniel - LG' getting in touch with them (if he remembered) didn't yield any results either - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29191262#post29191262. So I've reached a complete dead-end there. And frankly I've got lots of great contacts who are really friendly and easy to work with for the other manufacturers, so I'm not going to bend over backwards to accommodate LG if they are going to be difficult.

Ranting aside, there are some 30" UltraWide panels on the way from AUO (2560 x 1080 and 3440 x 1440 parts, 144Hz VA) which might interest those who wanted just a little bit of extra screen space or a higher resolution.

Yeah fair enough and I don't disagree, they are only doing themselves more harm by not getting monitors sent out to you. I wonder if I where to contact them, would they give me something to review :D

WHAT?! Nice :cool: Here's hoping for great motion clarity and freesync + sensible price

Soldato
Yeah fair enough and I don't disagree, they are only doing themselves more harm by not getting monitors sent out to you. I wonder if I where to contact them, would they give me something to review :D

WHAT?! Nice :cool: Here's hoping for great motion clarity and freesync + sensible price

More than likely if you were to contact them you'd be directed towards their seemingly useless PR company and reach the same brick wall I'm at. But if you do try and do get any further, please let me know. :D

Soldato

3440x1440 144hz? cause that would be epic and give me something worthwhile to save up for.

Soldato
My next monitor is gonna be a 39/40" UW in a couple of years tbh, with a res bump of course ;) :cool:

Now *that* will be epic :D

You have to look at it from my perspective :) im stuck with peasant 16:9 here... i might as well just buy an xbox at this stage.. okay i perhaps took it to fare but feel my pain please. feel it..

Back
Top Bottom