***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Associate
Held the LG 34uc97 for 5 seconds before refusing the package from DPD :D

Ordered the newer LG 34UM88 instead - sod the curved screen (it's not worth paying an extra £240 for)

Are you able to confirm the refresh rate for this monitor on freesync? It's very clear what the range is for the uc88 and uc98 (55hz-75hz) but the um88 I am getting conflicting reports. Some say 40hz-60hz which doesn't make sense as I thought the um88 was pretty much supposed to be the same as the curved models (except that it's flat!).

Soldato

Why would I ?

Are you able to confirm the refresh rate for this monitor on freesync? It's very clear what the range is for the uc88 and uc98 (55hz-75hz) but the um88 I am getting conflicting reports. Some say 40hz-60hz which doesn't make sense as I thought the um88 was pretty much supposed to be the same as the curved models (except that it's flat!).

True I saw the discrepancy with regards to the freesync refresh rate on the um88 and I tried searching through the manual but couldn't find anything. Not too fussed about this as I'm not a gamer

Soldato
Main difference between the two is a slightly different stand design and the fact the UC98 has thunderbolt connectivity while the UC88 does not I believe. Aside from the that they should be identical. Much better naming convention then the LG34UC97 which had and S and C varient to denote thunderbolt / no thunderbolt, that said suffix was often left off some sites which made things confusing.

Soldato
There are two versions of the UM88

34UM88 - With thunderbolt
34UM88C - Without thunderbolt

The £40 price difference didn't warrant me to go for the thunderbolt as it's highly unlikely that I'll be connecting a mac to it

Soldato
Associate
I agree, it's incredibly confusing, especially when refresh rates are displayed differently across the LG product pages. I'm 99.9% certain all 3 of those models have the same refresh rate.

Unfortunately, because of the published differences, I have no actual idea what that refresh rate might be :)

Permabanned
Well I'm sending my Samsung back for a refund, I've had enough of the poor video playback and changing the brightness and contrast for every video file.

So I've ordered the Phillips BDM3490UC which hopefully will arrive tomorrow. hopefully going back to IPS from the Samsung VA panel will solve my issues.

Associate
How big a drop would i notice in resolution if i go from a 16:9 1440p to the 29" LG 2560x1080P?

Any thoughts on the LG (very dissapointed with the ACER (aside from the fact i cant get freesync working it looks terrible)

Associate
Incidentally, I did ask Overclockers if they intended to stock the 34UC88 (cheaper model than UC98 due to not having thunderbolt ports) and they said no, not at the moment.

I'd probably bite if the Overclockers price was just a little lower on the UC98. They must have sourced stock from EU as there is simply no UK stock to be had.

Associate
How big a drop would i notice in resolution if i go from a 16:9 1440p to the 29" LG 2560x1080P?

Any thoughts on the LG (very dissapointed with the ACER (aside from the fact i cant get freesync working it looks terrible)

Bad move imho. You really notice the PPI difference going from 1440p to 1080p.

Caporegime
OP
Bad move imho. You really notice the PPI difference going from 1440p to 1080p.

Depends on how far he sits from the screen.

He will notice far more of a difference in vertical screen real estate than the PPI.

To give you an idea of screen real estate space at 21.9 2560x1080, here is a screenshot:

CU3dMFGh.png.jpg

Soldato
I'd probably bite if the Overclockers price was just a little lower on the UC98. They must have sourced stock from EU as there is simply no UK stock to be had.

Well there's always a market for this ... especially if you get frustrated and tired of the hunt... if I'm to be honest I almost went for the UC98 today - fortunately I came to my senses :D

Back
Top Bottom