***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Permabanned
Well I've just set up the Philips BDM3490UC and all I can say is......Perfect!....so far I bet i'll find something to gripe about tomorrow but so far games look just as good as on the Samsung, colours and blacks are just as good, Ok Blacks aren't as black but I found that the Samsung struggled to display really dark images properly which irked me to no end.

Video playback with SD content is now back to acceptable levels again, The Samsung was just terrible at it.

Just a quick jumbled review so far ;)

Oh and no backlight bleed what so ever which is a bonus :)

Soldato
For me the 34um88c arrived today and I can report back to say that the box is much bigger than the LG 34U97C

That's as far as I'm going to get I'm afraid. May have a chance to unbox it with the gtx 780 over the weekend

Soldato
PCM2, i've read most of your review of the AOC ultrawide. Didn't get as good as score as i had hoped. How is the pixel response compared to the Dell u3415w cause that screen was horrid in that department(otherwise gorgeous monitor). Thanks for the work you have put into the review btw.

Caporegime
OP
Just noticed AMD now allow you to fine tune overclocks for monitors, wondering if anyone knows what settings to use to try and achieve 75HZ on my LG 29um65?

I believe some have been able to get 75HZ without frame skipping on nvidia systems

J7z07aP.png

Any ideas on where to start?

Soldato
Just noticed AMD now allow you to fine tune overclocks for monitors, wondering if anyone knows what settings to use to try and achieve 75HZ on my LG 29um65?

I believe some have been able to get 75HZ without frame skipping on nvidia systems

J7z07aP.png

Any ideas on where to start?

I still believe i have the CRU file saved from when i ran my 29um57 at 75 and 72hz.. could that be of any help to you? if nothing else then for settings used?

Caporegime
OP
Yeah wouldn't do any harm trying it I imagine, thanks.

I have tried CRU before and messing with a couple of settings but always got frame skipping with anything above 60HZ :(

Soldato
Yeah wouldn't do any harm trying it I imagine, thanks.

I have tried CRU before and messing with a couple of settings but always got frame skipping with anything above 60HZ :(

Here you go m8, hope they can help you out. Links are to my google drive.

LG 29um57 Cru Settings files

EDIT: Important note incase you are not aware. If the settings are to much and you cannot get picture on your screen, even after rebooting, you will have to connect your screen to another output on your GFX and then reset the GFX driver and in worst case reinstall it. Experienced that a few times while tinkering. Wasn't always enough to reset it in CRU.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got myself a LG 29UM68, no backlight bleed as far as I can tell, a bit of IPS glow but I am used to that, the only thing that I am having trouble with is that I like to run VSR and for some reason Radeon Setting claims that VSR is not supported.

Freesync is great first time I have tried it, just a shame that for some reason VSR claims not to be supported anyone know why?

Soldato
I have the Acer X34 75Hz 3440x1440 Freesync monitor and the MSI R9 Fury X. Thought I'd share some of the FPS scores I get for games with everything maxed:

Rise of the Tomb Raider (antistropic x4, HXAA antiailsing) - 50FPS
Fallout 4 - 38 FPS
Shadow of Mordor - 67 FPS
Grid 2 - 61FPS
Just Cause 3 - 59 FPS
Bioshock Infinite - 83 FPS
HITMAN - 57 FPS

Soldato
I have the Acer X34 75Hz 3440x1440 Freesync monitor and the MSI R9 Fury X. Thought I'd share some of the FPS scores I get for games with everything maxed:

Rise of the Tomb Raider (antistropic x4, HXAA antiailsing) - 50FPS
Fallout 4 - 38 FPS
Shadow of Mordor - 67 FPS
Grid 2 - 61FPS
Just Cause 3 - 59 FPS
Bioshock Infinite - 83 FPS
HITMAN - 57 FPS

Thanks for sharing. Im not surprised about the Fallout 4 considering it have had added gameworks effects since launch. How is your experience with the x34? Thinking primarily of IPS glow and lightbleed.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Certainly making me think twice about a 3440x1440 display especially ones with a 75+HZ refresh rate now! A 30-32" 144HZ 2560x1440 21.9 display will be the sweet spot

IMO, it just isn't worthwhile paying more for higher refresh rate screens if you aren't able to push the FPS to get the "full" benefit from said higher refresh rate unless.... you are happy to put up with the SLI/crossfire issues (which is only going to get worse imo)

Obviously the next lot of GPU's will improve performance over current top end GPUs but with the way most PC games these days are going, they are only getting more and more demanding.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for sharing. Im not surprised about the Fallout 4 considering it have had added gameworks effects since launch. How is your experience with the x34? Thinking primarily of IPS glow and lightbleed.

I only have good things to say about it. Every game looks absolutely stunning - so much so that it's makes you want to go back and play through all your old games again on it. Games like Borderlands 2, Darksiders 2, Rage, Wolfenstien the New Order, Metro Redux, Shadow of Mordor look absolutely gorgeous! And as for Rise of the Tomb Raider - I often just stop playing when coming out of cave and approaching a cliff and just stare at the screen - breath taking visuals.

You would never notice any of the aforementioned issues whilst gaming or general use - the only time I've noticed it is when I've ended up with a black screen when pushing an overclock too far. It's completely insignificant to the experience you get owning this monitor.

Soldato
Certainly making me think twice about a 3440x1440 display especially ones with a 75+HZ refresh rate now! A 30-32" 144HZ 2560x1440 21.9 display will be the sweet spot

IMO, it just isn't worthwhile paying more for higher refresh rate screens if you aren't able to push the FPS to get the "full" benefit from said higher refresh rate unless.... you are happy to put up with the SLI/crossfire issues (which is only going to get worse imo)

Obviously the next lot of GPU's will improve performance over current top end GPUs but with the way most PC games these days are going, they are only getting more and more demanding.

Exactly, I was reading through the thread for the Acer X34 and the number of people who dismissed the monitor as soon as they heard it wasn't 144Hz was unreal. As you say, unless you go for crossfire/SLI which is a bit of a fraud IMO - then it isn't possible to get anywhere near those frame rates with current GPUs. Madness!

Associate

I don't agree. A monitor purchase like this should last you for several years and through multiple GPU cycles. I wouldn't buy a monitor based purely on what my GPU can do today, and what frames I get today.

Ultimately, the ultra-wide gsync experience is awesome, even at lower frame rates. If you find games are that demanding to be a problem, just run the monitor in 2560 x 1440 for those games. Job done.

Back
Top Bottom