***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Associate
If I genuinely thought an older version of the AMD driver would fix it, I'd unpack it and try it, but there are plenty of people out there using this monitor on those drivers without my issues.

The monitor is definitely going back and even if they want to return it to me I'll be saying no thanks under my 14 day right to return. I'm too soured on it to keep it and I still think these are displayport issues as the more I dig, the more I keep finding out about displayport signal drop outs.

Soldato
Hey chaps, would love your thoughts on this. TBH I'm not doing much more about it except returning - but I still need a monitor so need to know if it's worth bothering with going down the 21:9 freesync 3440 res route? I know that these large panels have been having issues with disconnections when gaming using freesync (the Acer springs to mind). I had hoped to avoid that by getting a newer LG but I've seen that exact issue.

I'm wondering if even though displayport 1.2 is rated to handle this res and hz, it really just struggles to cope if there are any weak links in the chain at all. In essence, it's a bit of a lottery whether it works as designed.

So to start with, my specs:

3770k @ 4.3ghz
16gb RAM
Powercolor r9 390 GPU (previously powering 2 x 24" 1080p monitors via DVI, one of which is a 120hz panel).

So I got an LG 34UC88. Both the Witcher 3 and Rise of the tomb raider are the only games I have tried, but the sound and picture keep cutting out for a few seconds at a time during gameplay when freesync is enabled.

I've tried 3 different branded displayport cables and the issue is exactly the same.

I tried it briefly with freesync off @ 60hz and interestingly did not see the issues. I'm almost certain I would have seen them in even a short space of time as with freesync on, they happen every 10 seconds or so (or more).

I am on crimson drivers 16.4.1

Have re-installed Crimson drivers after using DDU. Have re-installed monitor drivers several times. I have reset the monitor several times. Nothing I have tried has been met with any success when using this monitor with freesync on.

Here is some links to the issue:

https://youtu.be/xuA28lD0oWU

https://youtu.be/hsZ-FPcS6hg

I also get this flashing up after each disconnect (you won't see it in the videos as I had disabled the pop up message by that point):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42027960/Ebay/ebay2/20160414_211525.jpg

Do you think I've just been unlucky with my panel and I should get another and try again? Do you think the monitor is most likely to be at fault and not the GPU or 3 different displayport cables I tried?

Thanks, really value your opinions as these sorts of purchases are very expensive and mistakes/faults take up so much time to get sorted!

Burger ... Sorry to hear of this. Seen the video and that really sucks.

You've tried the obvious I take it ? Clean install, drivers etc ?

Must say I didn't buy this monitor for the freesync or gaming but wanted to try freesync '1 day' ! :)

What's the cheapest freesync GPU you can buy ... I fancy testing it myself :o

Associate
Burger ... Sorry to hear of this. Seen the video and that really sucks.

You've tried the obvious I take it ? Clean install, drivers etc ?

Must say I didn't buy this monitor for the freesync or gaming but wanted to try freesync '1 day' ! :)

What's the cheapest freesync GPU you can buy ... I fancy testing it myself :o

Yes, tried all the obvious apart from an older driver version.

I have a 34UM88 (same monitor, flat screen version) arrived today so I'm going to test that later and see if the same issue is apparent.

Caporegime
For films running on my 21.9, I've got powerDVD 16, someone has then created a tool I run which will enable zoom on the blu rays.

Best way, I use properly supported software, and it runs my blu rays without any trouble the way they were intended.

Could not be fussed trying to circumvent stuff with slysoft etc.

Associate
Ok, so got the 34UM88 today and the issue is EXACTLY the same. So I do everything I did before, which is madness really and of course doesn't work. I try some previous driver version this time, no dice.

So I discover that the monitor blackouts occur under two conditions:

1. Freesync is on during full res 3d gaming
2. Freesync is off during full res 3d gaming but the monitor is set to DisplayPort 1.2

There is one condition where the blackouts didn't occur:

1. Freesync is off and monitor is set to DisplayPort 1.1

So I start googling and I find someone with a similar issue, different monitor and different card though but he set the Preferred Color Depth in AMD CCC to 6 and it apparently really helped.

So I did just that. It was set to 8, I changed it to 6. I switched freesync back on and put The Witcher 3 on and played for 15 mins or so with no blackouts. That's compared to blackouts every 10 seconds or more previously.

Does anyone have the slightest idea of what is going on here?

Also, sorry Subliminal, the UC88 is so much sexier I think, even my wife commented that she far preferred the curve, don't be mad :/

And point of note on the 34UM88, 60hz is the highest it will go in freesync and the range is 40-60hz.

Anyone any thoughts?

Soldato
Also, sorry Subliminal, the UC88 is so much sexier I think, even my wife commented that she far preferred the curve, don't be mad :/

I agree, not mad - could afford it but skimped on it - no regrets really.

Funny you mentioned the Mrs.... Mine too is loving the new monitor - guess it's one of those rare tech purchases that got her approval !

She's on the PC way more than usual too :mad:

Soldato
Curve is the way forward, no doubt. You don't even notice it after a while. In fact, one thing that has struck me since moving to 21:9 is how quickly I adjusted to it, and within no time at all it was totally normal! I would find it impossible to switch back to 16:9 now, something would definitely be missing. There is something about it which just feels so natural and 'right' to me.

And

And

Associate
I've been using an LG 34UM95 happily for the last 20 months. Originally on an Inno 780Ti (which died) and now, for the last 6 months or so, on a KFA2 Infin8 GTX 970. During the last month or so I get random blank screens, which last for a second or two. It's basically switching itself off and on by the looks of it as the power button blinks when the screen returns to normal. Usually once every session I'm on the computer (which can be most days for 3 or 4 hours) when gaming (Arma3 or Elite Dangerous, since they're the only games I play regularly). Totally unsure what the cause is so I'd be grateful for any help.

Monitor, LG 34UM95, is connected by DP
NV drivers are 364.72
KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition
PSU is Superflower platinum 1K fwiw
CPU i5 3570K @4.3

Associate
I've been using an LG 34UM95 happily for the last 20 months. Originally on an Inno 780Ti (which died) and now, for the last 6 months or so, on a KFA2 Infin8 GTX 970. During the last month or so I get random blank screens, which last for a second or two. It's basically switching itself off and on by the looks of it as the power button blinks when the screen returns to normal. Usually once every session I'm on the computer (which can be most days for 3 or 4 hours) when gaming (Arma3 or Elite Dangerous, since they're the only games I play regularly). Totally unsure what the cause is so I'd be grateful for any help.

Monitor, LG 34UM95, is connected by DP
NV drivers are 364.72
KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition
PSU is Superflower platinum 1K fwiw
CPU i5 3570K @4.3

Is it really turning itself off though or just losing the displayport connection?

Is it similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuA28lD0oWU

Why not give the fix that seemed to work for me a try. Probably won't work but I'm sure anything is worth a go. Simply change the preferred color depth in your graphics driver control panel to 6. Not sure where that is in Nvidia land but give it a go, only takes a few seconds.

And

And

Associate
The option you're referring to, I have bpc (bits per channel?) 8 and that's it, no other options.

The power light blinks when display returns, but I have the power light (and just the light) set to go off after 5 seconds or whatever it is. My assumption is the power going off.

Monitor is not curved nor freesync.

Issue is same as in vid. In terms of it going off - it could happen once after an hour's gaming and not again for the rest of the evening or it could not happen at all.

May try some older nv drivers as it's a recent (ie last month or so) issue.

Is it really turning itself off though or just losing the displayport connection?

Is it similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuA28lD0oWU

Why not give the fix that seemed to work for me a try. Probably won't work but I'm sure anything is worth a go. Simply change the preferred color depth in your graphics driver control panel to 6. Not sure where that is in Nvidia land but give it a go, only takes a few seconds.

Soldato
I have the Acer X34 75Hz 3440x1440 Freesync monitor and the MSI R9 Fury X. Thought I'd share some of the FPS scores I get for games with everything maxed:

Rise of the Tomb Raider (antistropic x4, HXAA antiailsing) - 50FPS
Fallout 4 - 38 FPS
Shadow of Mordor - 67 FPS
Grid 2 - 61FPS
Just Cause 3 - 59 FPS
Bioshock Infinite - 83 FPS
HITMAN - 57 FPS

The strangest thing has happened - I swapped out my i5 6600K for an i7 6700K, installed a Samsung SM951 M.2 NVMe ssd drive - moved Fallout 4 on to it and am now getting an average of circa 70FPS - up from 38FPS before!? There can't that be that big of gain in performance from that change surely? Oddly, before the number refresh rate in the corner of the monitor, which is effectively an FPS counter with freesync, didn't function - I used fraps to measure the FPS of 38. Now though the refresh rate is working in tandom with FRAPS and showing a range of 65 - 75+ FPS! Settings set at ultra both before and after the new install.

Thoughts?

Soldato
The strangest thing has happened - I swapped out my i5 6600K for an i7 6700K, installed a Samsung SM951 M.2 NVMe ssd drive - moved Fallout 4 on to it and am now getting an average of circa 70FPS - up from 38FPS before!? There can't that be that big of gain in performance from that change surely? Oddly, before the number refresh rate in the corner of the monitor, which is effectively an FPS counter with freesync, didn't function - I used fraps to measure the FPS of 38. Now though the refresh rate is working in tandom with FRAPS and showing a range of 65 - 75+ FPS! Settings set at ultra both before and after the new install.

Thoughts?

Could be a streaming issue you had before. Ive seen that before first hand.

Back
Top Bottom