***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Interesting, can you elaborate on what you mean by streaming? From where to where?

Many games stream textures and data on the fly while you are playing. Usually you won't notice it if it is done right but sometimes if you have a bottleneck or perhaps just a driver acting up the streaming process gets slowed down causing blurred textures or stutter if the game has to wait for the data before it can render the next frame.

Funny thing people say that a harddrive or SSD cannot cause a gain or loss in FPS but that is actually not true in every case. Have seen this firsthand a few times now.

Last edited:
Many games stream textures and data on the fly while you are playing. Usually you won't notice it if it is done right but sometimes if you have a bottleneck or perhaps just a driver acting up the streaming process gets slowed down causing blurred textures or stutter if the game has to wait for the data before it can render the next frame.

Funny thing people say that a harddrive or SSD cannot cause a gain or loss in FPS but that is actually not true in every case. Have seen this firsthand a few times now.

Thanks for that. Could be although it was on a Samsung evo 850 SSD before when I was getting 38 FPS. It was a really stable 38 though - only moved by 1 or 2 frames either way. The drive it's on now is an M.2 Samsung PM951 NVMe so twice as fast read speeds...

Thanks for that. Could be although it was on a Samsung evo 850 SSD before when I was getting 38 FPS. It was a really stable 38 though - only moved by 1 or 2 frames either way. The drive it's on now is an M.2 Samsung PM951 NVMe so twice as fast read speeds...

I would say that the 850 evo is more than fast enough. any modern ssd should be fast enough. Im currently using a 850 evo and dont have the issues you have been experiencing.

Depends how perceptive you are. I personally do not notice a difference between 100hz and 144 hz that much, but do between 60 and 100hz. Imo if you got the gpu grunt its well worth it due to the immersion factor.

Depends how perceptive you are. I personally do not notice a difference between 100hz and 144 hz that much, but do between 60 and 100hz. Imo if you got the gpu grunt its well worth it due to the immersion factor.

yeah i have 980ti sli so i should be fine at the higher res you think? im just concerned i'll not like dropping from 144 to 100.

yeah i have 980ti sli so i should be fine at the higher res you think? im just concerned i'll not like dropping from 144 to 100.

Yeah pair of 980Tis sli wil have you set.

Could you maby not try setting your moniter to 100hz and seeing how it feels? would have course not be perfect representation but may give you an idea of if it's noticeable or not.

The strangest thing has happened - I swapped out my i5 6600K for an i7 6700K, installed a Samsung SM951 M.2 NVMe ssd drive - moved Fallout 4 on to it and am now getting an average of circa 70FPS - up from 38FPS before!? Thoughts?

Do you still have the old hardware? Can you swap back in the old cpu / or move fallout back to the old hard drive to see which one it is?

Suddenly after some extended uses of my ultrawide AOC 34" I returned to my 16.9 32 inch 1440p and all of a sudden it dawned on me how square(or perceived) a 16.9 display is against 21.9 and now I totally get what some people are saying about never to return to 16.9. Looks very wrong now. Oh well have to replace all monitors to 21.9 then eek.

Suddenly after some extended uses of my ultrawide AOC 34" I returned to my 16.9 32 inch 1440p and all of a sudden it dawned on me how square(or perceived) a 16.9 display is against 21.9 and now I totally get what some people are saying about never to return to 16.9. Looks very wrong now. Oh well have to replace all monitors to 21.9 then eek.

Took me some time to readjust to 16:9 after using 21:9 for a long time.. Im use to it now but man i miss my 21:9 monitor.. I hope that it will replace 16:9 over time and drive the price way down cause right now they are so darn expensive if you want anything 75hz or up.

Do you still have the old hardware? Can you swap back in the old cpu / or move fallout back to the old hard drive to see which one it is?

I do and I could but I'm getting the 70FPS now and whilst I'm curious as to why I was only getting 38 FPS and that freesync didn't appear to be functioning before, I'm not so curious that I would go to the trouble of swapping out the CPUs again. I could move it back on the old drive but is was a Samsung Evo 850 SSD and all the other games running of that drive are fine so it's unlikely it was the issue.

It's not a problem, as I said I'm getting the great performance now - was just sharing the experience and curious to get others opinions...

Thanks for the advice and trying to help though.

Your old Harddrive was maybe on it's way out? I can't see the CPU upgrade doubling performance unless the previous one was faulty.

Nope, the drive it was on was a 2 month old Samsung Evo 850 SSD. And the CPU was also a 2 month old i5 6600K purchased in a custom built rig from OCuk so tested by them and also performing as expected in all other games as per my original post below to share with members considering going for a 3440x1440 monitor, allowing them to judge what kind of performance they can expect from the GPU on it and hence why we're discussing this issue in a monitor thread...

Originally Posted by heartburnron View Post

I have the Acer X34 75Hz 3440x1440 Freesync monitor and the MSI R9 Fury X. Thought I'd share some of the FPS scores I get for games with everything maxed:

Rise of the Tomb Raider (antistropic x4, HXAA antiailsing) - 50FPS
Fallout 4 - 38 FPS
Shadow of Mordor - 67 FPS
Grid Autosport - 61FPS
Just Cause 3 - 59 FPS
Bioshock Infinite - 83 FPS
HITMAN - 57 FPS

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom