***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
3440x1440 will look the same quality / dpi wise as 2560x1440, but its a wider screen, so up close a 4k screen will look marginally better - a 21:9 UHD screen would be like 5.5k

Associate
To get the same DPI as 1440p @ 27" / 1440p Ultrawide @ 34" at UHD, you'd need a 40" monitor, so no, 1440p UW won't look 'as good as 4k' on the average UHD monitor (27-32").

But if you have to use DPI scaling on a UHD monitor it ruins the crispness entirely, so there's that. A 27" 4k monitor just didn't do it for me, and the 1440p UW feels like I have a lot more to use, mainly because I didn't have to scale anything so I can user smaller fonts, etc.

Soldato
So far, in less than an hours use - OH MY GOD! This monitor is outstanding, it looks tiny vertically in comparison to the behemoth that is the 3011. The curve is noticable in the best way possible.

This single monitor is replacing the u3011 and the Samsung 1440p monitor, it's absolutely gorgeous - now the question is can I afford two more for pure bliss?

Have sent you msg on trust

Associate
I've heard of UW being great for video production because you get to use a huge timeline - I imagine this would be somewhat similar for music production?

I'd say the main advantage of UW is the fact you don't have to deal with bezels... Something I didn't really mind until I got an Ultrawide.

Soldato
Have sent you msg on trust

Replied, sorry for the late response it's been an absolutely manic week.

I've been using this for about a week now, and it's absolutely glorious for 99% of the things I do. I may have to upgrade my desk to be able to use my 1440p Samsung too as I don't like having letterboxes on YouTube/Amazon Video etc which is the only downside so far.

Associate
Have you tried the floating YouTube extension in the OP?

I've yet to try it cause I have a different solution to YouTube, but it might be worth a shout.

Soldato
I've heard of UW being great for video production because you get to use a huge timeline - I imagine this would be somewhat similar for music production?

I'd say the main advantage of UW is the fact you don't have to deal with bezels... Something I didn't really mind until I got an Ultrawide.

Well, that's only really an advantage of the 3440x1440 panels, i wouldnt say the 2560x1080p panels offer enough desktop space for that. Also 4k displays offer more width than any of the UWs so it's not really a UW thing; it's an attribute of high resolution displays :)

Associate
It depends if you are viewing it from a size perspective, as in physical dimensions, or pixels. If you are looking at it in terms of pixels, sure, 4k UHD offers more width... But for the majority of 4k panels, the common, 28-32" ones, they're still not as wide as UW.

A lot of people use DPI scaling on 4k displays, and 27-28 models are the most common and where scaling is needed... It soon negates the benefit of having more pixels if you have to scale the pixels up.

Some may not like UW and some may not like 4k; it's up to you and I have nothing to say about your choice, I just much prefer the benefits of UW :)

Associate
So far, in less than an hours use - OH MY GOD! This monitor is outstanding, it looks tiny vertically in comparison to the behemoth that is the 3011. The curve is noticable in the best way possible.

This single monitor is replacing the u3011 and the Samsung 1440p monitor, it's absolutely gorgeous - now the question is can I afford two more for pure bliss?

Had my u3415 for just a couple of weeks and love it had a u2410 before so much real estate it took some getting used too.

Soldato
It depends if you are viewing it from a size perspective, as in physical dimensions, or pixels. If you are looking at it in terms of pixels, sure, 4k UHD offers more width... But for the majority of 4k panels, the common, 28-32" ones, they're still not as wide as UW.

A lot of people use DPI scaling on 4k displays, and 27-28 models are the most common and where scaling is needed... It soon negates the benefit of having more pixels if you have to scale the pixels up.

Some may not like UW and some may not like 4k; it's up to you and I have nothing to say about your choice, I just much prefer the benefits of UW :)

Well, you mentioned video editing and such so its desktop space that's important in that respect.

I dont disagree about the smaller 4k screens, but it's difficult to recommend any UW for productivity when the 40" 4k phillips is so cheap to be honest, and i regularly use a 29" and 34" 3440x1440 UW.

Last edited:
Associate
Seems like Samsung didn't announce anything new. Curved, 21:9, SVA or otherwise. That's quite disappointing. Especially so given the leak about high refresh rate VA panels they were supposedly putting into production soon.

Soldato
Seems like Samsung didn't announce anything new. Curved, 21:9, SVA or otherwise. That's quite disappointing. Especially so given the leak about high refresh rate VA panels they were supposedly putting into production soon.

It is disappointing, although they did't actually 'announce' anything new last time until after the show. I was the first one to report on the S34E790C and that was on Saturday evening! So there is still time yet, could just be that nobody has picked up on stuff. :p

Associate
It is disappointing, although they did't actually 'announce' anything new last time until after the show. I was the first one to report on the S34E790C and that was on Saturday evening! So there is still time yet, could just be that nobody has picked up on stuff. :p

I'd be surprised. Their keynote speech / presentation was quite big this year - in fact all the big guys seem to be doing something bigger at IFA this year, more like CES / E3 style. I guess there's always a chance they announce something in the 3 months before CES.

Soldato

You're not negating the benefit of having more pixels by scaling. You're using them in a different way - to provide a better-looking display.

Back
Top Bottom