***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
The Predator X34 G-Sync 100Hz will hands down be the best all around curved monitor when it's released... IF Acer can QC it properly and avoid a repeat of the XB270HU disaster. Even if you are discounting the X34 for any reason, I'd wait until it's released as you may see a small drop in price in these other curved screens at that point. There's also the Asus 3800R, but that may not be out until next year.

Soldato
From the screenshots it looks as though to go wide the games just pull the camera back and you're losing some vertical display. It's easiest to see on the ... is it battlefield? whatever the game with the pistol, you're losing vertical to accommodate extra horizontal.

I'm sure this works on a game by game basis, but I dare say the majority are designed with 16.9 resolutions in mind and to go 21.9 it just goes up in its 16.9 resolutions to match the horizontal then just cuts the vertical to fit with some camera pokery? (I'm just assuming here based on what I've seen).

So the question is, are you actually LOSING anything by not having that vert? For a game like League of Legends or other MOBAs I can see losing that vertical vision as being a detriment. But for first person games (especially first person) and other free-camera controlled games it could be a boon to have the extra horizontal. What are peoples' experience with it? I only ask because I'm considering dropping my 4k for a 1440 wide as my gaming screen.

Associate
I have the AOC U3477PQU and it has really got me back into pc gaming. Running on a 980 TI its an awesome experience.
Got lucky in the panel lottery as no detectable backlight bleed or dead pixels and only some very slight IPS glow in the corners - and I only really notice it when I look for it.

Gives a really cinematic feel to games especially RPG's :)

Soldato
My Dell U3415W came, and honestly, I have no words, this is amazing.

Any further opinions on the Dell? I've just hit the order button, still a little bit unsure about the curved part but I am sure I will get used to it.

Mainly used for browsing, consuming media, programming and seeing as I ordered a DSLR with it probably some small photo editing tasks. Maybe the odd bit of WoW when I feel like it.

Associate
The curve is so subtle, it's lovely. I could not imagine using this size screen without the curve. It's noticeable for me, still, but not in a bad way.

Mine came with a bit of bleed in the top right, and a little less in the top left, but that's to be expected with the curved models. It's not noticeable on anything other than a black screen which rarely ever happens. I'm more happy about no dead pixels, so it's fine for me. And if you're one of those that are too lazy to buy some desktop speakers, the inbuilt ones are actually pretty good.

All in all I am very happy with the purchase and I don't see myself changing from a single monitor of this size for a long, long time.

Soldato
Backlight bleed has never bothered me, I have never managed to notice it properly, I guess I am just not fussy haha. I do have some proper floor speakers so will be using them.

Looking forward to it coming, will lose a bit of vertical resolution from the Dell U3011 but ah well.

Associate
I went from 2x 2560x1080 (25") to 3840x2160 (27") to 3440x1440 (34"), and really, the 3440x1440 is my favourite. Something about Ultrawide hits the sweet spot for me.

The lack of vertical resolution never bothered me, but the sheer width adds a lot of immersion for games I believe it is just a lot better for having a tonne of windows up at once, whilst keeping all of them a good enough size to be visible without playing with fonts/DPI scaling.

It's a definite nod of approval from me. :)

Soldato
Have you received it yet? I'm interested how you are getting on with it!

It's here, but it's still in the box unfortunately - haven't had the time to open it, shove it on the monitor arm and set my desktop up.

Will post tomorrow evening or Saturday to let you know my first thoughts.

Soldato
It's here, but it's still in the box unfortunately - haven't had the time to open it, shove it on the monitor arm and set my desktop up.

Will post tomorrow evening or Saturday to let you know my first thoughts.

i want to get that dell and am coming from 3011 as well:)
will wait for opinions :)

Soldato
I'm looking forward to getting a superwide asap (when the bank balance is healthier).

However, when I get it, I will be using a 970. Is this enough for general gaming at a 3440x1440 res?

Yes, I have a single 970 and a i5-2500(non-k) and got the U3415w about a month ago.

Like you I had some concerns about GPU power, but to be honest they were unfounded. The majority of games I can run at 60 fps comfortably with most settings on high/ultra.

You may have to drop AA and on some games a few settings will need to be lower, but so far I haven't found anything unplayable, and the drop in settings is more than made up for by the increased resolution/immersion of the 21:9.

The only game that "struggled" is The Witcher 3. Had to drop the frame limit to 30fps, but it's perfectly smooth at that with v-sync on and most settings high/ultra.

Also worth bearing in mind that you'll probably consider upgrading your GPU in a year or 2, whereas a monitor tends to stay with you for a few builds, so if you get a 2560x1080, then in a couple of years when you upgrade that 970 you might be wishing you'd gone for the 3440x1440 instead (that's what made the decision for me)

Caporegime
I'm reallllllllllly considering getting 3xXR3501's at present. The curve being more pronounced is the thing that's tempting me, proper surround gaming...

My cards would also be able to handle the res fine, so that's another bonus :D

Associate
Also worth bearing in mind that you'll probably consider upgrading your GPU in a year or 2, whereas a monitor tends to stay with you for a few builds, so if you get a 2560x1080, then in a couple of years when you upgrade that 970 you might be wishing you'd gone for the 3440x1440 instead (that's what made the decision for me)

This is a good point a lot of people (me included) overlook quite often, needless to say, I am a very happy customer with my U3415W, even playing 2560x1080 wouldn't be too bad if I had to drop that low.

Associate
The Predator X34 G-Sync 100Hz will hands down be the best all around curved monitor when it's released... IF Acer can QC it properly and avoid a repeat of the XB270HU disaster. Even if you are discounting the X34 for any reason, I'd wait until it's released as you may see a small drop in price in these other curved screens at that point. There's also the Asus 3800R, but that may not be out until next year.

How you manage to arrive at that conclusion I've no idea.

The Predator X34 uses exactly the same 34" 3440x1440 LG IPS panel as ALL the other similar monitors ... you know the ones with the terrible BLB and uniformity issues, and general unreliability and QC issues? The only difference is that it's factory overclocked, has different housing, and adaptive synch. It won't change the issues the panel has.

If I was going for a 3440x1440 monitor at the moment, I'd have zero hesitation in going with the Samsung ... but I won't, as I really don't want to go lower than 120hz ever again.

Speaking of which, the BenQ 35" 2560x1440 VA 144hz is in stock at OCUK and other retailers ... anyone tried one?

Associate
Speaking of which, the BenQ 35" 2560x1440 VA 144hz is in stock at OCUK and other retailers ... anyone tried one?

Only problem with the BenQ is that it's 1080p and don't think VA are perfect per se or otherwise someone should answer the easy question of "why does not everyone go VA then"? Easy questions generally imply easy answers

Soldato
The Samsung is the best of the bunch from all the ones iv tried anyway as its the one I stuck with. The IPS ones all had bleed + other issues for me and I feel that the Predator will have the same bleed issues too as its the same panel.
Give me a 144hz OLED panel please :D

Back
Top Bottom