29 million Bulgarians and Romanians will gain the right to live and work unrestricted in our country

The problem we have is that workers migrating to the UK, unskilled particularly, are exploited and happily accept the lowest wage possible. This means that they don't pay any tax at the amount they'll likely earn, which does nothing to help the economy. British workers meanwhile cannot afford to do the same jobs for those puny wages unless they're also happy to live 5 to a room like the migrants do. It's all wrong. UK should have contested this EU ruling and should have at least been allowed to restrict the borders at its discretion. Sorry to sound like a stereotype. I may be wrong, I may be uninformed. It's how I feel though.

Perhaps that problem has more to do with the wages offered here, and our distorted housing market, more than singularly because 'other people are willing to come here and put up with it'?

:confused:

It's just sad to see so many people blame 'other people' for our ills. It is very historic in this country, and it has so far in that history solved NOTHING!

The problem we have is that workers migrating to the UK, unskilled particularly, are exploited and happily accept the lowest wage possible. This means that they don't pay any tax at the amount they'll likely earn, which does nothing to help the economy. British workers meanwhile cannot afford to do the same jobs for those puny wages unless they're also happy to live 5 to a room like the migrants do. It's all wrong. UK should have contested this EU ruling and should have at least been allowed to restrict the borders at its discretion. Sorry to sound like a stereotype. I may be wrong, I may be uninformed. It's how I feel though.

So, basically UK natives shouldn't live five to a room?

So does this mean if I have a UK passport I can live in Romania now? It has some beautiful scenery I've always wanted to live there.

Well you mentioned LA, that's even worse.

St Tropez is quite nice, but it's nothing special.

It was me that mentioned Los Angeles and given most of the world's biggest stars live there it can't be too shabby.

My point though, which you've missed via the tripadvisor style reviews of my examples was that open borders wouldn't work because there would always be something that would make certain parts of the planet more attractive to live on than others. If not economics then weather or where's got the most natural resources left etc.We have a population of 7 billion on the Earth already so ensuring people tend to spread out is vital. Border control is the primary control on this.

Without almost complete equalisation of all world economies, people in the main will flock to the richer countries with no controls. Will literally everyone mose? No, but enough would to cause massive problems.

Last edited:
Perhaps that problem has more to do with the wages offered here, and our distorted housing market, more than singularly because 'other people are willing to come here and put up with it'?

:confused:

It's probably BECAUSE people are willing to come over and suck it up that the wages offered here stay low. As far as the cost of buying property, that's supply and demand which increases or decreases the price. If you have more and more and more people coming into the country, into London particularly, there is more demand for houses and owners can charge a premium selling price.

So, basically UK natives shouldn't live five to a room?

It's ok if you don't mind the UK starting to look like people are living in a third world country. What's next, sweat shops?

It was me that mentioned Los Angeles and given most of the world's biggest stars live there it can't be too shabby.

My point though, which you've missed via the tripadvisor style reviews of my examples was that open borders wouldn't work because there would always be something that would make certain parts of the planet more attractive to live on than others. If not economics then weather or where's got the most natural resources left etc.We have a population of 7 billion on the Earth already so ensuring people tend to spread out is vital. Border control is the primary control on this.

Without almost complete equalisation of all world economies, people in the main will flock to the richer countries with no controls. Will literally everyone mose? No, but enough would to cause massive problems.

I understand what you're saying but it's only a problem where there is great disparity between countries.

Don't forget that we already have open borders (freedom of movement) in the EU, so why hasn't everyone in the UK moved to Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, Croatia etc..

Climate and lifestyle wise it could easily be argued that those areas of Europe are the most attractive.

As I said, I think it's unacceptable, but it seems that from reading that post it's acceptable for immigrants to live five to a room, but not natives.

Well I don't think it's acceptable for immigrants to live 5 to a room. But they don't seem to mind because as far as they're concerned, anything is better than staying in eastern europe. It's their choice. Meanwhile, that has a knock on effect to the non immigrants here.

And what? How do you stop people migrating due to varying economic circumstances and potential earnings intra-EU and further afield?

We have free movement of people, within the UK and within the EU.

This is a historic and natural phenomenon encapsulated in law.

You can't stop it, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. But there will be some who lose out, and not all of them are unskilled, stupid or lazy.

[TW]Fox;25581377 said:
Language barrier will be the main reason.

not necessarily - plenty of people are reluctant to even move from their jobless former pit village/industrial town to the nearest big city a few miles away in search of work...

not necessarily - plenty of people are reluctant to even move from their jobless former pit village/industrial town to the nearest big city a few miles away in search of work...

So what? I said it would be the main reasonr, which it is. People move around the UK reasonably freely - but not into Europe, because of the language barrier.

[TW]Fox;25581568 said:
So what? I said it would be the main reasonr, which it is. People move around the UK reasonably freely - but not into Europe, because of the language barrier.

Again No. I know loads of Mexicans working in the US but only a few could speak\write\read English
but the main guy who got them their work done all the talking ;)

I done some work for the family in New Brunswick (Canada) but I can't speak a word of French so my uncle told me what to do.

Again No. I know loads of Mexicans working in the US but only a few could speak\write\read English
but the main guy who got them their work done all the talking ;)

I done some work for the family in New Brunswick (Canada) but I can't speak a word of French so my uncle told me what to do.

I have no idea how any of those anecdotes relate to my point.

[TW]Fox;25581744 said:
I have no idea how any of those anecdotes relate to my point.

[TW]Fox;25581377 said:
Language barrier will be the main reason.

It's easy. As long as one or two in a group of people coming to work here can talk English they will do fine.

But I will add a bit for you. At a factory in Worcester they had about 20+ foreign workers
and all they could say was the name of the agency that sent them ;)

But they did get caught out when the fire alarm went off and people shouted FIRE but they just stayed there :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom