• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2900XT or 640GTS?

Soldato
Right going to ask in here.

I have the chance to do a straight swap, my 8800GTS ACS3 KO for a HIS HD2900XT.

I dunno about this, what do you all think?

I dont want any fanboy replied, jsut what you think :p

Soldato
Tute said:
As I said mate, if you're on Vista i'd go for it. If you're on XP i'd hold fire. :)

I'm on Vista and XP, just benchmarks I see the HD2900XT seems ot be on par with the GTS in XP, I dont have this chance forever, what if it keeps improving and take sover the GTS, surely the performance of the GTS in XP wont improve lol?

Soldato
That's the thing. nVidia might pull their socks up in terms of drivers, then you'd be wishing you'd stuck.

Go with your gut feeling mate, there's very little else to distinguish the cards.

Soldato
If you aren't bothered about power consumption or heat then 2900 in my opinion. I've never had a GTS of my own to compare it to so can't really comment on the difference in performance. However, the 2900s seem to clock very well.. Mine certainly does (can break 13k with it in 06) and with newer drivers can only get better!

Soldato
willhub said:
I'm on Vista and XP, just benchmarks I see the HD2900XT seems ot be on par with the GTS in XP, I dont have this chance forever, what if it keeps improving and take sover the GTS, surely the performance of the GTS in XP wont improve lol?

swap for the 2900, then you can give us your hands on opinions of the 2900 :D

Soldato
Street said:
If you aren't bothered about power consumption or heat then 2900 in my opinion. I've never had a GTS of my own to compare it to so can't really comment on the difference in performance. However, the 2900s seem to clock very well.. Mine certainly does (can break 13k with it in 06) and with newer drivers can only get better!

I been talking to that champ guy who has :mad: in his sig next ot the HD2900XT, and in CSS with all maxed but 8x msaa he gets 173fps in the stress test, I get 178fps with the same settings, and NFSC I get similar to him, but I have an old CPU, I mean NFSC he got around 50fps which is what I get, and De_Dust in CSS apparently its unplayable at all max with hdr and 8x msaa/16xaf were as I get 91fps, really confused, I want the HD2900XT for its future use, but if I am getting low perofrmance in TDU, NFSC/mw and CoJ DX9.

Would help if there was someone with both an 8800GTS and HD2900XT to compare on the forum, would make the decision easier.

Soldato
CSS is pretty much all I play at the moment and I have upgraded from a 1900XT. I play at 1680x1050 and before in the stress test I got around 150 with a heavily overclocked 1900. Now with the 2900 I can up all the quality settings further and I still beat that by a good 30FPS.

I personally don't play with HDR in CSS so can't really comment if it kills performance or not...

What res do you play at?

Last edited:
Soldato
willhub said:
Says in my sig, its a 640mb.

Its the ACS3 KO one with a better cooler on, seems to be 10 degrees cooler than the normal cooler and clocked to 640/2ghz or 650/2.2ghz.

good card that. expect a 2900 to run hotter and make more noise than that too. and suck up a lot more wattage too.

you should do the switch then tell us how it is.

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
good card that. expect a 2900 to run hotter and make more noise than that too. and suck up a lot more wattage too.

you should do the switch then tell us how it is.

Aye, but if its worse in everything i'm going to be crying lol

How much would the HD2900XT be worth like if I though it was crap and sold it to get another GTS?

Last edited:
Soldato
Tute said:
Probably around £200 if you sold it promptly. :)

Sounds good, just then the step-up plans are down the drain. Uh I am so stuck lol, not gonna sleep tonight coz of this. I really want a piece of HD2900XT lol. I mean no 8800GTS can replace this EVGA one, its the best GTS :D

Any ideas when the next drivers for the 2900 are been released?

Soldato
willhub said:
Sounds good, just then the step-up plans are down the drain. Uh I am so stuck lol, not gonna sleep tonight coz of this. I really want a piece of HD2900XT lol. I mean no 8800GTS can replace this EVGA one, its the best GTS :D

Any ideas when the next drivers for the 2900 are been released?

This month sometime, i'd ask Tom|Nbk for more details.

Soldato
queamin said:
I wouldn't not buy a card for future proofing, buy one for now

Yea I am trying to find out which card has better performance now and in the future.

Tute said:
This month sometime, i'd ask Tom|Nbk for more details.

Ah ok, will do, either way I dont think I have anything to loose tho, I can sell the HD2900XT if I want and buy an 8800GTS 640 again, it just its harder to upgrade then.

Soldato
Is this off Champ right?

Debating whether to pick one up myself... how much do you think i'd have to put to the sale of my X1950 for one?

Soldato
Tute said:
Is this off Champ right?

Debating whether to pick one up myself... how much do you think i'd have to put to the sale of my X1950 for one?

Yes, its off champ, I asked him to keep hold of it untill I have made a decision which should not be too long, but if I decide to go for the HD2900XT, will be a straight swap, my 8800 to his house, his hd2900xt to my house.

sell your 1950 for £160? Why, you planning on buying an HD2900XT from OcUK?

Back
Top Bottom