• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 / 3090 / 3070 Gigabyte Eagle Gaming OC & Vision Power Connector Concerns

Associate
depend which PIN

if you want just power up gpu - minimum is 3pins per 8pin connector (one +12 and two GND which are also sesne)

for normal use 3x 12V + 3x GND is enough bcoz this microfit terminals can handle easy 5A each (3x 5A is 15A)
12V x 15A - 180W, from 8pin card can take 150W, but usually its 120-130W

Thanks I am not sure which direction that ends up once at the card. Here is a picture, you can see its one of the +2 on the right housing
ggNRnhH.jpg
Could this impact my performance?

Associate
from those 2 additonal pins in 8 pin connector - bottom one, HAVE TO be connected (sense8pin) wihtout it probably card will not even turn on

but is it worth to risk while 2x 8pin custom cables will cost 12euro?

i made some for x-trio

img_20201112_11552558j6i.jpg

Associate
from those 2 additonal pins in 8 pin connector - bottom one, HAVE TO be connected (sense8pin) wihtout it probably card will not even turn on

but is it worth to risk while 2x 8pin custom cables will cost 12euro?

i made some for x-trio

Thank you so much for your help. I am not sure if 8 pin cables will be any better, that bottom left pin is bent in the housing due to the poor design from Gigabyte. If you think an 8 pin would work better I will get a cable!!
If it is working at 100% I would like to leave it until after christmas, I am so scared of touching it, screwing it up and having to RMA over xmas period. I plan on resolving after xmas once this 3000 series madness settles down.
What are your thoughts on that? Thanks again for taking the time to respond @duniek

Associate
Hi! Im new in the forum...

I had a faulty 3080 gaming oc SN2037 with pins, and I still managed to get it to work, but as soon as I found another 3080 available I took it.
I got a new sn2043 serial gigabyte 3080 vision oc today. I was seeing if you could see if it had the new pins but unlike gaming oc you can't see well without disassembling. The pins all look straight and the external connector looks better made. Can I go quiet?

Sorry for my bad english. The first and the second gpu were bought from amazon.

Associate
Thank you so much for your help. I am not sure if 8 pin cables will be any better, that bottom left pin is bent in the housing due to the poor design from Gigabyte. If you think an 8 pin would work better I will get a cable!!
If it is working at 100% I would like to leave it until after christmas, I am so scared of touching it, screwing it up and having to RMA over xmas period. I plan on resolving after xmas once this 3000 series madness settles down.
What are your thoughts on that? Thanks again for taking the time to respond @duniek

But why dont you try to get that bend pin in place ? I mean with a little patience you should be able to straighten the pin and make the card work.

Hi! Im new in the forum...

I had a faulty 3080 gaming oc SN2037 with pins, and I still managed to get it to work, but as soon as I found another 3080 available I took it.
I got a new sn2043 serial gigabyte 3080 vision oc today. I was seeing if you could see if it had the new pins but unlike gaming oc you can't see well without disassembling. The pins all look straight and the external connector looks better made. Can I go quiet?

Sorry for my bad english. The first and the second gpu were bought from amazon.

In page 42 you got some pictures on how to identify what connector block you have. Anyway if you was able to plug-in very smoth the connectors you dont need to worry about, enjoy that card

Last edited:
Associate
I have not yet mounted the board ... I am waiting to finish working ... I must say that I have not yet tried to insert the cables, I have some antec sleeve cables. I think that given the serial sn2043 I shouldn't risk having a defective card. I have seen the photos and unfortunately the gigabyte 3080 vision oc does not allow you to see very well near the pins. I attach a couple of photos

Update:

I tried to insert my sleeves, it went in almost perfectly,Entered well but force a little. I noticed that some pins are slightly downwards but removing the sleeve they always remain downwards but a few millimeters seems ok, I don't know how to try them better ...

Last edited:
Soldato
I would not want to risk it for a pricey GPU. I got my wk42 (3080 Eagle) card which looked to have very straight pins and visible heat shrink. Used my old 8pin braided extensions so I did not have to mess with the 6+2s and they inserted very easily - so far so good. :)

Still a shame GB did not just use standard 8pin connections on the PCB itself.

Associate
I have not yet mounted the board ... I am waiting to finish working ... I must say that I have not yet tried to insert the cables, I have some antec sleeve cables. I think that given the serial sn2043 I shouldn't risk having a defective card. I have seen the photos and unfortunately the gigabyte 3080 vision oc does not allow you to see very well near the pins. I attach a couple of photos

Update:

I tried to insert my sleeves, it went in almost perfectly,Entered well but force a little. I noticed that some pins are slightly downwards but removing the sleeve they always remain downwards but a few millimeters seems ok, I don't know how to try them better ...

That is the same card I installed the other day. I could not get the power cables from the PSUs I had to work. I had 2 different 850W Gold PSUs and neither set of cables would go in without more force than I wanted to use. I ordered a set of extension cables from Amazon that came the next day. They installed perfectly - no issues at all, just a little wiggle and they seated great. I have had the machine running for 2 days now - installing drivers and such, running some benchmarks. From what I can see the card is working great.

Associate
But why dont you try to get that bend pin in place ? I mean with a little patience you should be able to straighten the pin and make the card work.
Point taken, I will have a go
I would not use it like that if i was you ..that plug needs to be fully plugged and clipped in ..yes may still work but your risking it
Fair call. Will fix er up

Do you think using something like this may make it easier so I am not fooling around with that damn +2 ?
https://www.ple.com.au/Products/620991/GamerChief-8-Pin-PCIe-45cm-Sleeved-Extension-Cable-Red

Last edited:
Associate
Made an account just to post a data point. Got a 3080 Vision OC, WK 44 (SN2044), had some bent pins so would not install correctly (Corsair PSU) (sorry no pics). Was unsure whether this was the old connector (e.g. no heatshrink), but the pins, although bent, held in place. Bent them back and it installed, but after consideration got it RMA'd anyway.

Huge shout out to @GIGA-Man and Gigabyte UK support on this. Reported on the Friday, collected on the Monday, returned on the Thursday. Just about the best RMA experience I've had in a couple of decades of buying PC components. Of course vendor support in different countries varies, but at least in the UK, they just earned a lot of trust from a buyer.

Associate
Just received one with the old connector. My SN is 2043 and still have the old one. Got the card today, as I was installing, 2 pins got pushed inside.
I'm in Brazil, hope retailer/gigabyte Brasil fixes this.

Associate
Well, today I received my Giga Gaming OC, and can say those connectors have a special place in hell!! Pro-tip, not that I should have to spell this out, but DO NOT FORCE THE POWER CONNECTOR IN!!! You'll mangle the pin then it's RMA time. Instead, with gentle pressure, slowly put a small amount of rotation on, then withdraw and look for any pins that are not central. using a pair of fine tweezers carefully put some distance between the pin and the connector housing and then try insertion again. Took me about 5-10 minutes to get the connectors to just "click" in, but well worth the patience.

S****y design for a "premium" card!!!!

Last edited:
Associate
Well this is 43 and got the new block as you can see, also I did a little reinforced with more zipties, to keep cables tougher

Gigabyte need to learn from nvidia if they want to introduce extensions inside of a GPU just like 2060/2070 FE
Actually I dont know wich one is better :)

front.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Tbh this is why I only ever go with Asus Strix
I hope you get it sorted though if this is your brand

Asus have made many mistakes over the years too. They are both Taiwanese companies and generally do a,good job. Gigabyte tried to be too clever here and it backfired. Fortunately they didn't make the same mistake with the Aorus models

Back
Top Bottom