• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 is NOT a gaming card - Gamers Nexus DESTROYS the 3090

Associate
OP
everyone knows Jay is a car fan car upgrades are expensive.

If you guys think 1500 on a GPU is expensive don't ever get into upgrading cars, you'll be spending a whole lot more for mediocre gains

I feel like the difference is that a V8 isn't a V10 with 2 cylinders disabled.

*I don't really know what this means.

Last edited:
Associate
Gamers Nexus is both funny and on the mark, but I thought Jay's and Linus were ok for what they are - if you are buying a card at that price I'd hope you'd do the research and make your own decision.
Ironically once the madness dies down we might actually be interested in 3090's in my workplace as a "cheap" alternative - we currently buy full fat Titan rtx's at around £2000 - we just built 10 workstations with 2 cards each in sli - comes in about £10,000 a machine. These might offer a cheaper alternative in some use cases - especially as I have a big box of Microsoft hololens 2's needing workstations to pair up with.
I work in a University research centre btw - AI, Vr etc - I'm spending tomorrow finishing setting up an IBM IC922 with 4 Tesla V100's (you can go to 6 with water cooling) https://www.ibm.com/uk-en/marketplace/power-system-ic922
Kind of makes £1500 a card seem cheap :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I was really disappointed by LTT's video. Personally I've followed them for years and years... maybe I'm biased but I've not really felt a lot of biased reviews from them, but the 3090 "review"?? It almost made me want to buy one... and that's saying a LOT

*I mean the review video, not the jizzmaster 8k gaming one. However, now I think about it, that video too. nVidia feeding him lines.

Steve being fed the dollar notes at several parts of his video was a clear dig at those that have been gushing about the 3090.

Soldato
This was a brilliant video, and I'm glad I didn't get the chance to buy a 3090 today.

I was all set on it - I have a 4K screen that is begging for a fast card. I have the cash. Yet following this review and other benchmarks, it just doesn't stack up. It's a non-card, in many respects. 10% is... ok. But for £1000+ more? No. NO. It's a ridiculous price bump.

I'll wait. The current 3080 is a fantastic card, but doesn't have enough memory to future proof it, IMO.

Soldato
Kingpin has already beaten his score, he got the 3090 to 2580mhz for a total score of 16673

What a beast. So clearly the 3090 is much better binned than the 3080 - its a repeat of Turing where the 2080 couldn't overclock as well as the 2080ti.

People are struggling to hit 2.3ghz on the 3080 and on the 3090 Kingpin is already on the heels of 2.6ghz - wouldn't be surprised to see 2.7/2.8ghz on the 3090 once the LN2 cards are released like Galax HOF, Kingpin etc

Associate
I am sorry to say but what a load of tosh! This is the best GPU out there in the world so it ain't that bad! Who cares if it is only 10% faster than a 3080. Fact is it IS faster. If people have the money and they want the best then they will buy them as they have been. Heck half the people moaning probably go out and buy the latest phone every year for like £1300 and don't bat an eyelid. This gpu will be the daddy for the next two years and even then it will still be good for a long time after.

I don't even acknowledge the whole 8k thing yet. Apart from a select few, who would be gaming at that res anyway when 4k is still not the normal for the masses.

Associate
OP
God I hate those moronic faces he pulls and constantly slips his words up like he didn't just do it on purpose. Moron guy

So irritating. And it's only exacerbated by his drooling over the latest and greatest component, particularly an Nvidia release.

Nvidia don't need to pay him, he's literally stroking the 3090 during the review video. The man's nursing a semi.

Associate
I am sorry to say but what a load of tosh! This is the best GPU out there in the world so it ain't that bad! Who cares if it is only 10% faster than a 3080. Fact is it IS faster. If people have the money and they want the best then they will buy them as they have been. Heck half the people moaning probably go out and buy the latest phone every year for like £1300 and don't bat an eyelid. This gpu will be the daddy for the next two years and even then it will still be good for a long time after.

I don't even acknowledge the whole 8k thing yet. Apart from a select few, who would be gaming at that res anyway when 4k is still not the normal for the masses.
Just because something is the “best” that doesn’t make it’s immune to criticism for what it is.

The 3090 is literally the worst price to performance “gaming” card Nvidia has ever released, is it still the fastest? Sure, but it takes diminishing returns to a whole new level of stupid.

Soldato
Well, it's also highly CPU bound.

Not disagreeing at all. I guess all the other games that aren't RT or DLSS are as well

For gaming, if people have the money to burn, go for it, but it doesn't seem like a smart choice.

I would however, be interested in nvlink performance. Even though Nvidia has said limited supply (doh)

Soldato
The 3090 is literally the worst price to performance “gaming” card Nvidia has ever released, is it still the fastest? Sure, but it takes diminishing returns to a whole new level of stupid.

Have you even checked the reviews?

The 3090's price to performance is better than the 2080ti and Titan RTX.

I think what you're doing is compariing it to the 3080 - the 3080 is the best price to performance GPU Nvidia has released in many years but the 3090 is still better than Turing in price to performance.

here let me help you

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you even checked the reviews?

The 3090's price to performance is better than the 2080ti and Titan RTX.

I think what you're doing is compariing it to the 3080 - the 3080 is the best price to performance GPU Nvidia has released in many years but the 3090 is still better than Turing in price to performance.

here let me help you

The issue isn't relative to the 2080Ti. Check out the 3080 cost per frame. That's where it has been historically. The 20 series was an anomaly even for Nvidia. Just because the 2080Ti was terrible value that didn't make the 3090 good value. If you scale the price per frame proportionately it should be better value than the 2060. Let's be generous and say it's low volume and pitch it at $10/frame. It's still looking overpriced.

Soldato
Winus Linus is a slippery eel. I don't mind his stuff though It's reasonably acceptable.

Jay has my eyes watering though with his flappy bingo wings

God, I thought I was the only one who noticed those "wings"!
The thing thats got me wondering is how are they going slot in the 3080 super/ti with 20gb Vram when compared to the 3090? Theres only about 10-15% performance difference between the two. Now, Thats surely going to cause the vanilla 3080 sales to tank a bit as most people here 'frinstance want more Vram, but the performance increase cant get too close to the 3090 or sales of that would tank a bit (ignoring halo product, workstation usage, etc) for gamers.
I've said this before, I reckon these supers/ti cards will drop down for sale when RDNA2 arrives (and it wouldn't surprise me if they've already got a bucketload in the back ground just waiting to hit the market if RDNA2 turns out to be as good as people are hoping it will be. To me this would explain the pitiful 3080 quantity available on release day.

Caporegime
So it turns out as suspected that there is no gaming performance gain from a 3080 over a 2080ti unless you are using DLSS. In fact in Vulkan a 2080ti is faster.

Any performance gain from a 3080 is purely cause Nvidia has pumped it full of power. No wonder they are makign such a big thing of DLSS as that is the main are you see any gains.

To be honest, two years on from the 2080ti and the best Nvidia can do is basically give us the same performing card but with a 10% gain in DLSS is disappointing. The only good thing is the price.

But they may as well have skipped a generation and just sold the 2080ti at half price.

Back
Top Bottom