• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 is NOT a gaming card - Gamers Nexus DESTROYS the 3090

Soldato
Winus Linus is a slippery eel. I don't mind his stuff though It's reasonably acceptable.

Jay has my eyes watering though with his flappy bingo wings

God, I thought I was the only one who noticed those "wings"!

Take a moment guys, Jay used to be 500lbs (227kg) 36 Stone and done very well with his weight loss and keeping it off.

Post up some pics of yourselves so we can judge - or show us your youtube channels where you've gone in front of the public earning $500k a year..............

Caporegime
Glad I changed my mind about getting a 3090.
Now with the cash I saved I will but the new Intel CPU and motherboard :D

Yeah the fact that the price difference between the cards will build you a new PC and probably give you are better overall performance increase.

I might cancel my 3090 order and just go with a strix 3080 for the hmdi 2.1

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Take a moment guys, Jay used to be 500lbs (227kg) 36 Stone and done very well with his weight loss and keeping it off.

Post up some pics of yourselves so we can judge - or show us your youtube channels where you've gone in front of the public earning $500k a year..............

he also has sharp elbows as well! :D

Associate
Meanwhile this game dev student picked up 2 to use for UE4 because he knows how to utilize the card apparently. Asked my friend who has actually shipped games with UE4 and laughed, he agreed he wanted a 3090 for his dev rig and even asked (current he runs a 2080 ti) but said 2 is really pointless.

https://twitter.com/solidkostas/status/1309208487327608839
https://twitter.com/solidkostas/status/1309211933338406916

Hey

So, I am that "game dev student". Really. It's me.

I got two preorders through Scan, because I wanted to secure one and the other I will cancel.

In fact, I am close to my 40s, been a hospitality manager for almost 15 years and, due to COVID, I cannot find work in the UK for the life of me, especially since I am not from the UK, but I still am a UK citizen.

I am going into 3d Design / environmental artist path because I've been doing it as a hobby, I have studied more than a year heavily on this and I just want to get out of the stupid hours and life of hospitality and do what I love.

I you read the WHOLE thread, you will understand what was my logic. And since I can afford to buy a card that is clearly an affordable powerhouse that manages to be also the most performant card in gaming out there, I am more than happy to utilize it.

Now for the use: UE4 is production ready for Fully Dynamic Global Illumination, meaning Ray Tracing is utilized to the fullest. Blender is also utilized, with great amounts of VRAM used to have a smooth and fast workflow in the Viewport of both In Engine and Blender.

Lightmass baking (non dynamic lighting) also uses great ammounts of vram, along with fast CPU and RAM. The 3090 cuts the performance of lightbaking and texture sampling in more than 50% in comparison to a 2080ti, and more than 20% in comparison to a 3080. That means, I do not have to bake test my lights in a scene standing for about 20 minuutes, but less than maybe 10. Adding those tests up, it saves hours of working in engine. Thus the 3090 choice.

I feel I did not have to explain myself, however forums and the internet is a nasty place, especially when people do not know or understand reasons for people's choices.

So yes, there are 2 preorders, one will arrive first and the other I will either cancel, or sell to the price I bought it to anyone that is nice enough to ask or does not cancel people online.

My name is also Kostas. The nick in the forum should clarify the rest. :)

Enjoy your day

Soldato
Hey

I got two preorders through Scan, because I wanted to secure one and the other I will cancel.

In fact, I am close to my 40s, been a hospitality manager for almost 15 years and, due to COVID, I cannot find work in the UK for the life of me, especially since I am not from the UK, but I still am a UK citizen.

I am going into 3d Design / environmental artist path because I've been doing it as a hobby, I have studied more than a year heavily on this and I just want to get out of the stupid hours and life of hospitality and do what I love.

I you read the WHOLE thread, you will understand what was my logic. And since I can afford to buy a card that is clearly an affordable powerhouse that manages to be also the most performant card in gaming out there, I am more than happy to utilize it.

Now for the use: UE4 is production ready for Fully Dynamic Global Illumination, meaning Ray Tracing is utilized to the fullest. Blender is also utilized, with great amounts of VRAM used to have a smooth and fast workflow in the Viewport of both In Engine and Blender.

Lightmass baking (non dynamic lighting) also uses great ammounts of vram, along with fast CPU and RAM. The 3090 cuts the performance of lightbaking and texture sampling in more than 50% in comparison to a 2080ti, and more than 20% in comparison to a 3080. That means, I do not have to bake test my lights in a scene standing for about 20 minuutes, but less than maybe 10. Adding those tests up, it saves hours of working in engine. Thus the 3090 choice.

I feel I did not have to explain myself, however forums and the internet is a nasty place, especially when people do not know or understand reasons for people's choices.

So yes, there are 2 preorders, one will arrive first and the other I will either cancel, or sell to the price I bought it to anyone that is nice enough to ask or does not cancel people online.

Enjoy your day
You really didn't need to explain yourself but hats off to you mate. Enjoy.

Associate
You really didn't need to explain yourself but hats off to you mate. Enjoy.
It's all good man. People sometimes do not realise that there are reasons and thought behind something, not necessarely everyone is a scammer or a 16 year old kid with rich parents, or a shill, or whatever.

Sometimes, explaining goes a long way. Sometimes it does not. No problem.

I hope everyone enjoys their purchases, and I hope everyone does not come to the point I came, not having a job anymore and wanting out of a stupid industry and trying to make a dream come true.

We here to be better :)

Soldato
Hey

Enjoy your day
At this point anyone get a 3080/3090 card for their personal use (whatever it may be for) is well-justified, as oppose to all the scalpers buying all all the stocks with bots for the sole purpose of flipping them off for a profit.

Caporegime
A very good vid and saved me a quite a few squid. It does seem that the 3090 and possibly even the 3080 is CPU bottle necked in a few titles but even still, those gains over the 3080 seriously don't match the price. Fair play to those getting one though and I know they will enjoy it but for me, I will pass this time.

Soldato
Hey

Enjoy your day

Good luck in your new career in a hobby turned profession. Jobs hard in the UK for everyone looking at the moment due to COVID. Hope you get something soon. Keep trying and if that's really want you want to do, don't give up as you'll get there with tenacity and perseverance.

Good luck Raver. I'd post the other card up when it arrives, used as a paper weight or door stop, just to annoy people. :D

Associate
Good luck in your new career in a hobby turned profession. Jobs hard in the UK for everyone looking at the moment due to COVID. Hope you get something soon. Keep trying and if that's really want you want to do, don't give up as you'll get there with tenacity and perseverance.

Good luck Raver. I'd post the other card up when it arrives, used as a paper weight or door stop, just to annoy people. :D

Much appreciated my man, thanks for the support, means everything. Let's just hope we come out of this stupid time we live in better.

Caporegime

Well said. I hate when people judge others "looks" without having a clue!

Associate

Best of luck, apologizes I assumed from the way it was worded you were planning to SLI them together.

Edit: my skim reading curse makes me an arse again

Associate
Hardware Unboxed is my go-to now. Gamers Nexus now go into far too much unnecessary detail IMO, I find myself skipping through a lot of it to get to the information that may actually affect my purchasing decision.

Associate
Yeah the fact that the price difference between the cards will build you a new PC and probably give you are better overall performance increase.

I might cancel my 3090 order and just go with a strix 3080 for the hmdi 2.1

Dont change you mind too much, im following your lead! :p

Ree

Ree

Associate
Hardware Unboxed is my go-to now. Gamers Nexus now go into far too much unnecessary detail IMO, I find myself skipping through a lot of it to get to the information that may actually affect my purchasing decision.

av been doing the same with gn they seem to go full nerd which will probably please a lot of folk but goes way over my head and so i end up skipping. hardware unboxed keeps things more simple.

Back
Top Bottom