• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 secret memory PerfCap

Caporegime
My solution was the
EK WATER BLOCKS EK-RAM MONARCH X4 CLEAN - NICKEL

which i managed to pick up in a sale for £20.

That and the best w/mK pads between the chips and the backplate keeps everything cool.

Associate
My solution was the
EK WATER BLOCKS EK-RAM MONARCH X4 CLEAN - NICKEL

which i managed to pick up in a sale for £20.

That and the best w/mK pads between the chips and the backplate keeps everything cool.

Isn't that thing a bit long for 3900FE? there are these X shaped ribs that is in the middle of the back plate, the rib is slightly raised, so unless your blocks are shorter it won't be able to make direct contact with the backplate unless you put some seriously thick layers of thermal pads in between.

Caporegime
Isn't that thing a bit long for 3900FE? there are these X shaped ribs that is in the middle of the back plate, the rib is slightly raised, so unless your blocks are shorter it won't be able to make direct contact with the backplate unless you put some seriously thick layers of thermal pads in between.

Sorry mine is on my asus strix 3090.

Associate
Thanks I appreciate the information. I well can’t be bothered to take loop to pieces again. Ek should be sending out replacement thermal pads if that’s the case. Might contact them to see what they say.

Yeah it is a pita having to drain the loop to get at the backplate but i would highly recommend you give it another go as if you used the 1.5mm pads i bet they are not even touching the back plate ... Debauer had exactly the same issue in this video at 3:50
If you send EK a ticket they will send you a new set of pads and screws for free :)

Associate
Still gets to 100c? Lol told you it wouldnt be better than improving case airflow. Did you stick it on backplate or?

I've posted image of this already, here is it again, I am running an open case TT Core P5, so airflow isn't really a problem.

It is worth noting I am getting 125MH mining with this setup, which is really good given without it it would throttle at 80Mh

CC7-F015-D-D00-E-47-F2-BD66-C95-ACA5-F90-CB.jpg

Associate
Yeah it is a pita having to drain the loop to get at the backplate but i would highly recommend you give it another go as if you used the 1.5mm pads i bet they are not even touching the back plate ... Debauer had exactly the same issue in this video at 3:50
If you send EK a ticket they will send you a new set of pads and screws for free :)
Thanks Jay yeah I’m still getting thermal throttle yes no matter what now so I guess I will have to drain down and change out the pads. Thanks for sharing the vid.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I've posted image of this already, here is it again, I am running an open case TT Core P5, so airflow isn't really a problem.

It is worth noting I am getting 125MH mining with this setup, which is really good given without it it would throttle at 80Mh

125 is good. Mine is in a case, good airflow and never throttles (I do have to have case fans on high to achieve this), it tweaked to be hashing more than stock but consumes a smidge under 270w (107MH). I would love to get above 120 but the memory would be dangerously hot I reckon and Im not exposing it out of the case with my youngsters about the house.

Associate
Hi Guys,

I've got a MSI 3090 Ventus 3X. I wanted to check if my 3090 suffers from the RAM overheating/throttling issue.

I've loaded HWInfo and can see the RAM gets to 82C when playing Baldurs Gate 3 (this game seems to tax my card the most out of the games I'm playing atm). However 82C seems to be the max temp the RAM reaches whatever I'm playing. I can't see the GPU core speed drop so think I'm ok but not sure if I'm measuring right.

Assume I also need to check GPU fan speeds aren't getting to 100% Is there anything else I can use to verify?

I think Cyberpunk would be a better game to use for testing actually.

Soldato
Get Afterburner and turn on the overlay then add fields to see in your display while gaming. You can then see live what is going on. BG isnt going to stress the card.

If you give it a benchmark or mine etc you will see what temps the memory hits after about 10 mins sustained. If it stays under 100c it would be quite normal. Stock and custom settings will differ in results.

Soldato
He already has HWInfo installed, it has a column called 'max' that will tell you what its reached. It was in response to rest of his message:

wanted to check if my 3090 suffers from the RAM overheating/throttling issue.

I've loaded HWInfo and can see the RAM gets to 82C when playing Baldurs Gate 3 ... I can't see the GPU core speed drop so think I'm ok but not sure if I'm measuring right.

Assume I also need to check GPU fan speeds aren't getting to 100% Is there anything else I can use to verify?

Associate

I was going to do this for my 3090fe also, ordered a fan and a heatsink.. but after I put in the GPU in my case I realised that my NOCTUA NH-D15 is so big that there is hardly any space between the back of the card and the heatsink.
Ordered a new case and an AIO this morning, once I transfer the PC into that I will be able to do what you have done.
Did you use a any thermal pads/paste in between the heatsink and the card? I also ordered a piece of thermal pad, thinking if I should add that into the mix also.

Soldato
I thought you were helping bignev72.

I was but then both of you latched onto the AB part (you by proxy), and he assumed this would show him RAM temps when I added it just because he wanted to see fan speeds and core freq. I assumed bignev would use them both to compliment one another - lol why am I bothering oh well just typed this may aswell complete post. :)

Associate
I was going to do this for my 3090fe also, ordered a fan and a heatsink.. but after I put in the GPU in my case I realised that my NOCTUA NH-D15 is so big that there is hardly any space between the back of the card and the heatsink.
Ordered a new case and an AIO this morning, once I transfer the PC into that I will be able to do what you have done.
Did you use a any thermal pads/paste in between the heatsink and the card? I also ordered a piece of thermal pad, thinking if I should add that into the mix also.
I used a large 1mm thermal pad, it is held on by gravity :)

the black plate is rough I didn’t think paste would work, if you try it feel free to let me know.

Back
Top Bottom