• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 - was it meant for gamers ?

Soldato
With its 24 GB of RAM id be thinking it’s bound to be amazing but was it as it doesn’t appear to be much better especially considering the 4090 was so much better.

Was it a poor card ?

No my understanding was if you ask nvidia the 3090 or 4090 aren’t meant for gamers as such and are the titan replacement cards. They were aimed at content creators and AI type workloads, hence the amount of vram. But of course they could game too and fit into the flagship gaming card category too.

I think they realised people at the high end bracket were willing to pay pretty much anything for the halo card, and went to town on the 4090 in particular to distinguish it away from 4080 in gaming terms too, then price as well lol

No my understanding was if you ask nvidia the 3090 or 4090 aren’t meant for gamers as such and are the titan replacement cards.

I don’t think this is true, their whole narrative around these cards is they are GeForce cards first and foremost. They are marketed totally different to the Titans. It’s true they did talk about content creators and the like, but just look at Nvidia’s own home pages for the two cards…

Last edited:
With its 24 GB of RAM id be thinking it’s bound to be amazing but was it as it doesn’t appear to be much better especially considering the 4090 was so much better.

Was it a poor card ?

Much better than what? Poor compared to what? It was the fastest card of its generation outside of the Ti. Of course the 4090 is better…

The 4090 is a lot better relative to the 4080 then the 3090 was to the 3080. Well the benchies say this from what I can see. Gaming benchies that is
Don't the rumours say that the 5090 is going to be even stronger than the 5080, relative to the 4090/4080? I guess it makes sense in a way, they'd want to reserve the best GPUs for AI/compute, so if you're a gamer and want one, you got to pay $$$$.

Last edited:
The 3080 was amazing value at £650 at the time and for gaming the 3090 did not make sense financially no.

But the 3080 was Nvidia`s last pricing mistake, they quickly realized they could charge way more for the 4080 and they doubled it.

Had the 3080 been on the cut down 2nd tier die which the 3070 used and had an msrp of $1200 then the 3090 would have looked just as good as the 4090?

On the flip side would the 4090 had looked good if the 4080 had been on the top die and within 15% of a 4090 for $700?

You couldn't get a FE 3080 at RRP but the 3090 was usually always in stock during the pandemic, it wasn't a better option per say but it was the only card that matched / beat the 3080 performance that you could get.

looking at this as I have just bought this card here. the 3090 looks terrible for the money.

I got a 3090 and it was bad value agajnst the 3080 but you have to remember that it was released it the height of covid and crypto and you could not get 3080s anywhere

Last edited:
The 4090 is a lot better relative to the 4080 then the 3090 was to the 3080. Well the benchies say this from what I can see. Gaming benchies that is
Yeah those morons who were paying scalpers well over the odds for GPU's during lockdown down pretty screwed everyone over as Nvidia saw how much a mid range GPU could fetch. And it gets worse, the 3080 was a cut down 3090 die at 608mm square whereas it's replacement got put on the Scargill diet and shrunk to 380mm square and is now miles behind the 4090.

3090 owner here, terrible value at £1400, barely faster than a 3080 and the 24GB VRAM could easily have been 12GB and I doubt it would have caused anyone much of an issue. Second hand prices dropped like a stone with the 4090 release.

Couldn't get a 3080 during COVID so didn't have much choice.

The 4090 was a much better halo card and the 5090 looks to continue that trend.

Value aside, 4 years on mine is still performing brilliantly and I've had no temptation to upgrade yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom