• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
Are Hdmi cable heads supposed to heat up during use? I've never bothered to check, tbh.
As you have discovered, the cable header heats up from hot exhaust and being in contact with hot metal frame of GPU/case.

There shouldn't be any heat just from monitor signal

Permabanned
As you have discovered, the cable header heats up from hot exhaust and being in contact with hot metal frame of GPU/case.

There shouldn't be any heat just from monitor signal

Okay, I have not looked out for this yet.

If it doesn't affect performance, I would just ignore it, because the heat can't melt the plastic housing of the cable so then, it is not going to melt the metal connector.

Soldato
If you can hold it in your hand then it’s not going to be that hot.

To put it into context, you can get burns from touching things that around 50c in around 2 mins. Holding something like that will be very hot. The hotter it is, the shorter the time and kids will burn far quicker.

Soldato
Not heard of any FE cards been killed by the new world game. :)

FE's have the best build quality by far IMO. The only weakness are the VRAM thermal pads, which is easily resolved by replacing the stock thermal pads.

I've played around with a MSI 3090 gaming X, Supreme and Asus Strix - these just feel plasticy and have vibration issues with the plastic shroud when the fans spin up. Also the MSI has an annoying 'hum', not caused by fan speed but by the direction, interaction of airflow between the two fans.

Not to mention FE cards have the best binned GPU's used :)

Man of Honour
Yeah I have Hot Spot but no VRAM temps on my 3070FE in any application I've used yet.

On another note while not always the case - some of what I thought was the GPU fans spinning up during gaming with my 3070FE wasn't in fact the GPU... I had an old laptop down behind where the PC was which was in a low power state used awhile back for as a remote endpoint for a project and mostly forgotten about... seems a recent Windows 10 update (coincidentally about the same time as I swapped out the 1070 for the 3070) was causing it periodically to spin up aggressively for a few moments :( it happened the other day after I'd turned my PC off which was a WTF moment LOL. Stupid Microsoft dunno why they can't seem to get anything right - was working fine on an older version of 10 and 7 before that.

Permabanned
Yeah I have Hot Spot but no VRAM temps on my 3070FE in any application I've used yet.

On another note while not always the case - some of what I thought was the GPU fans spinning up during gaming with my 3070FE wasn't in fact the GPU... I had an old laptop down behind where the PC was which was in a low power state used awhile back for as a remote endpoint for a project and mostly forgotten about... seems a recent Windows 10 update (coincidentally about the same time as I swapped out the 1070 for the 3070) was causing it periodically to spin up aggressively for a few moments :( it happened the other day after I'd turned my PC off which was a WTF moment LOL. Stupid Microsoft dunno why they can't seem to get anything right - was working fine on an older version of 10 and 7 before that.

Would you say the GPU Hotspot + 20c to 30c is the VRAM temp?

Back
Top Bottom