• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
Similar to the above configurations.
I am happy to put a 3060ti in my current rig a 2500K of to 4.6ghz, for the time being. Still have mechanical backup drives and power supply is at the top of the case...
Bad idea?

Associate
The Xbox series X using direct storage has a PCIe gen 3.0 nvme with a 2.5gb/s read so I'd imagine this will be the the range that developers focus on with faster drives adding very little extra.

Well done joxeon for clarifying that up for me. I have just been reading the thread "windows 10 will support game-boosting direct storage tech after all" in the windows & other software sub forum and i can see what you are saying. It looks like something like a WD SN750 with 3GB/s read times is good enough.
So if i understand this correctly a B550 and PCIe3 will still be fine. Its the PS5 that supposedly has 5.5 GB/s read speed but if the Xbox is only 2.5GB/s then it will become the limiting factor in game development.

Sorry if my post sounds confused. I think i need to read/lurk the forum some more before i decide what cpu mobo ram nvme to buy.
Am looking at 5900x, x570s tomahawk, 32GB 3600mhz best cas dual rank ram i can afford and use the 1TB crucial MX500 to upgrade to windows 10 and buy a nvme in the black friday sales.

3060ti just arrived so i'll swap over cards and report back later how it went.

Associate
Direct storage is a fad
We don't know what effect it will have on future games, if any. Could be another gimmick like resizable BAR, which helps only in couple titles.

Associate
So if i understand this correctly a B550 and PCIe3 will still be fine. Its the PS5 that supposedly has 5.5 GB/s read speed but if the Xbox is only 2.5GB/s then it will become the limiting factor in game development.

B550 Motherboards have PCIE 4.0 for both the graphics card and the primary m.2 slot straight from the CPU. Its only additional m.2 drives that will go through the chipset and down to pcie 3.

Associate
Out of interest, how hot & noisy do people find their FE cards compared to good AIB cards? Going from an MSI 3070 Suprem X which is massively over built & quiet to a 3080Ti FE & wondering if people notice it or the difference in practice isn't noticible in their case?

The difference is most definitely noticeable from my MSI 3070 gaming X to my 3070 FE so from your 3070 suprim X to the 3080Ti FE it will be even bigger.

All depends on your level of background noise but in a quiet office the 3080Ti FE will be loud unless you set a custom fan curve and do a bit of undervolting/clocking. Even then it will be louder than the Suprim.

Associate
got mine all up and running, strange thing - first had blue screen on boot and wouldn't go past recovery

turned out it didn't like the 8 Pin power cable it was connected to - when I swapped it to the 2nd one it was all fine

Soldato
got mine all up and running, strange thing - first had blue screen on boot and wouldn't go past recovery

turned out it didn't like the 8 Pin power cable it was connected to - when I swapped it to the 2nd one it was all fine

Was it connected to one of those daisy chain cables? Apparently that's an issue:

QeQXOtduLtxMZkWMMQBuwzTPynao-B1d29mkoEflPSc.png

Associate
Yeah only using one cable connected to the supplied dongle.
As stated in my op for some reason it didn't like the other 8pin cable so had to swap to the 2nd one.

Associate
it didn't like the other 8pin cable so had to swap to the 2nd one.
Just checked your signature of your PSU, and wow its ancient. Its from 2007, and I checked the tier list, and its not on any of them! How its still running a modern day graphics card and PC I don't know.

Associate
lol yes I try and keep things if they still work. It was powering a Vega 56 prior to this which used 2 8 Pin connectors and had no problems with it.

Back
Top Bottom