• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Its pretty simple. I added consoles to the comparison as you cant mine with a console. Yet is suffers the same issues with scalping/gamers selling them if CEX offer double. You then went on to dismiss the points made which as @Puppetmaster rightly pointed out GPU mining has been around for ages, CPU even longer. Have you struggled to get a CPU lately? You can also mine using disk space.

Yes mining impacts the supply but its not the sole reason why there is a problem. Just to remind you in case you forget what you posted:

This is far more accurate a statement.

I've said it's not the only problem, I've stated there are other issues such as production and shipping, but mining is one of the major contributors to the problem.

In the past, every AIB card manufacturer generally had a card in their line up that matched the price of the MSRP of the reference cards from AMD/Nvidia. They would then have cards ranging from $20 - $100 more than the reference MSRP cards and then some high end flagship/watercooled at $200 or so more. But the vast majority fell within a small margin more than reference card MSRP.

This is first time I have even seen prices for AIB's cost 50% - 100% more

Re: consoles.

They aren't suffering anywhere near the problems GPU's are having. As I said, when they are available, the price is stable and fixed from retailers. With GPU's it's grossly inflated.

Soldato
Consoles are in stock almost daily at MSRP so plenty about whereas the only GPU stock at MSRP is the FE cards and those come in about once a month with only the overpriced 3080ti 3090 lasting more than a few seconds.

Also the demand on consoles is exacerbated by people who would have usually brought a cheaper 3060/3070 class GPU being priced out of the PC market and instead turning to consoles for their gaming fix.

Associate
I'm afraid you've lost me there... Not sure what you mean about me being dismissive. I only mentioned consoles because you did.

Bare in mind, not all of us agree with mining, I won't mine on my GPU as I don't want to on principal, so I shouldn't have to mine to recoup the initial inflated price either.
Not everybody agrees with shareholders. But I am a shareholder. Not a millionaire, just someone looking to retire early. Same with mining. My 3090 is earning me £140 a month after electricity costs are discounted. This can be invested in crypto, which it is, or into other things so I can retire earlier.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
They are definitely not as available as you are making out. Fact.

Prices are more controlled, yes. But the point being these items are cheaper than an entry level dGPU aimed at the mass market. They cannot mine yet suffer from similar lack in supply with scalpers offering their 'available' stock just inflated. Check on the bay right now... digital editions start from £500-590. Its meant to cost £359.99. That's a 28%+ markup. God damn miners!

Soldato
There are drops but they sell out within, well I don't know exactly but within the hour certainly. I've yet to see a PS5 for sale on any site, ever they're always "out of stock". Funnily enough there are thousands on eBay at vastly inflated prices and no warranty

Soldato
But msrp and available from three places..

As has been explained a million times already, Nvidia or AMD's MSRP doesn't apply to an AIB card made by Gigabyte/Asus/MSI/EVGA/whoever else. They can set their own MSRP, which they have and it is considerably higher than the Nvidia/AMD number.

You can't compare it to consoles.

Back
Top Bottom