• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Where are those people who said nVidia would kill off the FE cards and/or increase their prices massively a few months back? :p

TBH I'm quite surprised nVidia have continued with the FE cards like they have though it puts the AIBs in a bit of a corner - IMO they should continue with the FE offerings like this but they really need to offer the AIBs better customisation at the very least so as to produce more distinct cards - most of the non-FE cards offer a poor prospect in comparison aside from potentially better cooling options.
AIBs are not shifting much stock due to the higher prices so are probably cutting back on chips which means nvidia has likely upped FE production to try and offload them.

Soldato
AiBs don’t want any more chips with new cars just round the corner.

They really don’t want to get caught with loads of old stock they can’t sell, particularly when the used market is being flooded right now.

Soldato
You can see it on the product page for the FE model. Against 3090Ti for example right now has a small green question mark. Hover over that and says Instant £280 promotion will be applied and checkout + 4 games. When you follow link through does indeed show price as £1,599 and game bundle which has Ghostwire: Tokyo , DOOM Eternal, DOOM Eternal Year One Pass (Includes DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part One & Part Two and BATTLEMODE)

Other models do not have anything yet as of writing for FE models. But does say elsewhere if you get these: GeForce RTX 3090 Ti, 3090, 3080 Ti, 3080 desktop, laptop, or GPU. will get the games bundle above.

Soldato
something to think about for those with cards that use GDDR6X VRAM:

Consider limiting your card's voltage to around 0.825v, works for me. RTX cards will draw significantly less power.

WHIII seems to make use of CPU cache a lot. As an experiment, I dropped my CPU cache ratio to 800mhz (down from 4300mhz), the minimum framerate dipped in the campaign benchmark from ~60 FPS to just 27!

Seems likely that this game would benefit from CPU cache ratio overclocking, which my B660 board can't do...

Last edited:
Soldato
something to think about for those with cards that use GDDR6X VRAM:

Consider limiting your card's voltage to around 0.825v, works for me. RTX cards will draw significantly less power.

WHIII seems to make use of CPU cache a lot. As an experiment, I dropped my CPU cache ratio to 800mhz (down from 4300mhz), the minimum framerate dipped in the campaign benchmark from ~60 FPS to just 27!

Seems likely that this game would benefit from CPU cache ratio overclocking, which my B660 board can't do...
I just tried this game out on my RTX 3080FE and noticed this I have both a global frame rate limit and an undervolt and it was still reaching close to 80 degrees.

Soldato
I just tried this game out on my RTX 3080FE and noticed this I have both a global frame rate limit and an undervolt and it was still reaching close to 80 degrees.
Yea, sounds fairly typical. I reckon 90 Celsius or less is fine for GDDR6X. Some people think even exceeding 95 Celsius is fine, but why take the risk. According to Micron, above 95 Celsius is sub-optimal.

If Nvidia cared, they would offer a setting that sets a voltage automatically that keeps the VRAM temps at 90, or less.

Soldato
Yea, sounds fairly typical. I reckon 90 Celsius or less is fine for GDDR6X. Some people think even exceeding 95 Celsius is fine, but why take the risk. According to Micron, above 95 Celsius is sub-optimal.

If Nvidia cared, they would offer a setting that sets a voltage automatically that keeps the VRAM temps at 90, or less.
I ran mine constantly for a year at 106c and it's been fine.

Soldato
It's a risk. It might be the case, that some GDDR6X chips are more resilient than others?

The graphics card is likely to be the most expensive part in a lot of people's PCs, with the highest power usage and temperatures. What do you gain by running the VRAM over 100 Celsius?

Another factor is warranties, I got mine 2nd hand, with only a guaranteed warranty of 6 months (limited warranty upto 2 years).

Soldato

I think it was partly to do with bad airflow in my PC also. I cleared the top vents on it and it reduce the temps by a good few degrees and I haven't seen it go above 77 degrees so far, I feel stupid I didn't do that sooner.

Soldato
I think it was partly to do with bad airflow in my PC also. I cleared the top vents on it and it reduce the temps by a good few degrees and I haven't seen it go above 77 degrees so far, I feel stupid I didn't do that sooner.
I had to increase the fan speeds a little to bring my card within acceptable levels when the weather was 30 degrees (or more) outside.

Back
Top Bottom