• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3DMark Sky Diver Benchmark Thread

Suspended
It's a nice looking bench. Firestrike is rather bland in comparison i think.

I though i killed my GPU yesterday on this, it was running soooo well at 1200Mhz, i though i would give it a shot at 1250, again it was going well, until it got half way through the combined test, artefacts, flicker and Black Screen....
Ok so, hard reset, back into windows, within seconds flicking and Black Screen on the Desktop... oh no, hard reset... same thing over and over again :(:(:(:(

Boot into safe mode, unistall all overclocking apps, no, didn't fix it :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Back into safe mode again to unistall the drivers.
Running fine without drivers, ok. reinstall drivers. All is back to normal. Phew :o

I think what happened is the drivers monitoring the GPU didn't like what was going on and set the volts to 0mv during the bench.

This is the first time the Drivers have intervened like this on this GPU, but not the first time ever as it did it to me on the 7870XT when i ran that really hard during benching, it did the same thing in setting the volts to 0.

The trouble is because this one has a factory overclock it has +50mv on it out of the box, with 0mv like that it black screens on the desktop.

I don't know how i feel about the drivers behaving like big brother monitoring my GPU and interfering like that, they may well have saved its life, or just meddling.

Either way, i #### bricks.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I though i killed my GPU yesterday on this, it was running soooo well at 1200Mhz, i though i would give it a shot at 1250, again it was going well, until it got half way through the combined test, artefacts, flicker and Black Screen....
Ok so, hard reset, back into windows, within seconds flicking and Black Screen on the Desktop... oh no, hard reset... same thing over and over again :(:(:(:(

Boot into safe mode, unistall all overclocking apps, no, didn't fix it :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Back into safe mode again to unistall the drivers.
Running fine without drivers, ok. reinstall drivers. All is back to normal. Phew :o

I think what happened is the drivers monitoring the GPU didn't like what was going on and set the volts to 0mv during the bench.

This is the first time the Drivers have intervened like this on this GPU, but not the first time ever as it did it to me on the 7870XT when i ran that really hard during benching, it did the same think in setting the volts to 0.

the trouble is because this one has a factory overclock it has +50mv on it out of the box, with 0mv like that it black screens on the desktop.

I don't know how i feel about the drivers behaving like big brother monitoring my GPU and interfering like that, they may well have saved its life or just meddling.

Either way, i #### bricks.

Drivers for both NVidia and AMD are going to be a bit quirky for the next few weeks until they bring them up to date for this bench.

Caporegime
Heres the results from running ram at a lower speed. Same cpu clock and gpu at 1189/3305.

1600mhz ram speed

Graphics Score

Physics Score

Combined Score

2400mhz ram speed

Graphics Score

Physics Score

Combined Score

Quite a drop that i wasnt expecting tbh. In games ram clocking makes virtually zero difference as ive ran this kit at 2600mhz.

Caporegime
Quite a drop that i wasnt expecting tbh. In games ram clocking makes virtually zero difference

Sometimes it makes a difference. More so in multi gpu i expect though.

2700k 4.4ghz
1600mhz 9-9-9-27-2T - stock seconds
290 crossfire @975/1250 stock

HtbNalx.jpg

2700k 4.4ghz
2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1T - tight seconds
290 crossfire @975/1250 stock

nQld4Lr.jpg

2700k 5.27ghz
2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1T - tight seconds - BCLK 102.5
290 Crossfire 975/1250 stock

mErbGBY.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Sometimes it makes a difference. More so in multi gpu i expect though.

Not normally, in fact for games if you go too high on the RAM it actually reduces fps slightly. I think this could be where the CPU has to drive the RAM very fast (even though it's not needed) instead of driving the game.

I have tried several games with different RAM speeds and there is not much in it from 1600mhz up to 2400mhz, 2133mhz seemed to give the best performance but it was barely measurable.

If you look at setters results it is very similar, if you think of the Graphics score as similar to games you can see no difference running the memory @1600mhz or 2400mhz.

On the other hand if the CPU has to do some number crunching as in the Physics and combined tests then the extra RAM speed helps.

Caporegime
Not normally, in fact for games if you go too high on the RAM it actually reduces fps slightly. I think this could be where the CPU has to drive the RAM very fast (even though it's not needed) instead of driving the game.

I have tried several games with different RAM speeds and there is not much in it from 1600mhz up to 2400mhz, 2133mhz seemed to give the best performance but it was barely measurable.

If you look at setters results it is very similar, if you think of the Graphics score as similar to games you can see no difference running the memory @1600mhz or 2400mhz.

On the other hand if the CPU has to do some number crunching as in the Physics and combined tests then the extra RAM speed helps.

I should test some more games. I might do that if i can be bothered.

Caporegime
For ram, c9 @2133mhz seems to be the sweetspot on ivybridge/sandybridge. On haswell, c10 2400mhz. Cant comment on sbe as ive never used those. Though i believe the new Z97 boards are much better for ram clocking than Z87. I wont be bothering with one though as 4790k runs in Z87.

@Matt, ahh 1080, assumed you were running 2560x1440.

Suspended
Heres the results from running ram at a lower speed. Same cpu clock and gpu at 1189/3305.

1600mhz ram speed

Graphics Score

Physics Score

Combined Score

2400mhz ram speed

Graphics Score

Physics Score

Combined Score

Quite a drop that i wasnt expecting tbh. In games ram clocking makes virtually zero difference as ive ran this kit at 2600mhz.

1600mhz ram speed
Physics Score

2400mhz ram speed
Physics Score
12825 (+8%)

Thats about what i thought, thanks setter :)

Back
Top Bottom