400,000 graduate jobs

Caporegime
I guess it's slightly different in the US? But yeay I think it really depends on the uni, modern uni's (inc. mine) I think tend to make finance/economics a doss subject but the old uni tend to make them very saught after.

EDIT: Gawd my keyboard skills are rubbish...

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I started University doing a computer science degree. Took me a while to realise how pointless and irrelevant most of the material was. I thought it could be the University itself so I change to find the same thing. So I dropped out and managed to find a job with training. That was a year ago, I'm now on £33k. Best decision ever.

Permabanned
Hi there,

Architecture's going to be glamourous? You do realise you're going to be drawing house extensions for the rest of your life, right? ;)

Hi, heh :p

Well I'd hope to get a bit further than that, perhaps design some public buildings, etc. At least it means you get to travel though and not be stuck in an office every day of the week.

Soldato
If you want a guaranteed job, Power System Engineering is the way.

There is a huge shortage in the industry, and there are so few people doing the course that they're pushing its modules out to other courses.

Caporegime
Naaaa :p

Civil engineering isn't as glamorous and it's much more maths based, I hate maths.

*Architect*: *daydreams and doodles on paper*

goes to civil engineer with ludicrous plan...

*Architect*: "I want to build this!"
*Civil engineer*: "WTF! you want me to design and build that?":eek:

Civil engineer designs and builds building

*Opening ceremony*: "And we congratulate 'Talentless Architects' of london for this beautiful building!"
*Civil engineer sitting in the back row*: *cries*

:p

Last edited:
Soldato
I started University doing a computer science degree. Took me a while to realise how pointless and irrelevant most of the material was. I thought it could be the University itself so I change to find the same thing. So I dropped out and managed to find a job with training. That was a year ago, I'm now on £33k. Best decision ever.
Skills mate, nice.

I study Business & Advertising at 'Laughable Lincoln' which I enjoy, but there's not as much work as I would like, granted I chose it based on the architecture, image and potential rather than prospects; because I can see how most people are seen to be dossers here, but it all depends on the person. I'm considering an MA in Management, purely for the interest and the long term gain at say Sheffield, Loughbourough or Warwick if I'm successful enough to apply.

I definitely agree there are way too many people with degrees these days, and they're too easy to do. I think the minimum UCAS points for entry should maybe be 280/300 = B,B,C grades.

Soldato
You don't think that studying accounting shows an interest whilst also giving you an immediate advantage over other candidates who have no background of accounting?

Just because you can get ACA trained having not studied accounting doesn't means it's "a bit pointless." It stands you out from the crowd and develops your knowledge earlier so you have an easier time working your way through the (extremely difficult) ACA exams.

I'm studying for the ACA and I fail to see the benefit in doing an accounting degree. It seems to get you about 6 exemptions from the ICAEW in general, and the graduate programmes at the big 4 are all structured to assume no knowledge, so all it mean is your life may be a bit easier in the first year imo as you don't have to study and work. In all honesty i don't think the exams are that difficult either imo.

I think if you want to go into professional services, you'd be better doing another degree and getting a better breadth of knowledge.

Associate
There seem to be an awful lot of experts in this thread.

Any opinion on this will be subjective and based on whether you did or did not go to university, what university you attended and what degree subject you read.

Success in life is down to the ability and application of the person. A degree is not a prerequisite for success. However, for certain professions then it may well be impossible to enter your chosen field without a particular degree (e.g. medicine) , and your ease of transition into this field will be governed by the results you achieve in your course. (Did you have ability, did you apply yourself)?

The best of luck to those looking for jobs, don't be too proud or stupid to accept something you may think is beneath you. It may be the foot in the door needed to catapult your career to new levels. Any job is better than none.

Soldato
Good thread, was a nice read..

That doesn't do any good for me considering I'm doing Computer Science :O :p

Reading the thread though, guessing I chose a decent subject, hate all those "wannabe" degrees.

Soldato

What line of work are you in and who is your employer if you don't mind me asking?

Soldato
Hi, heh :p

Well I'd hope to get a bit further than that, perhaps design some public buildings, etc. At least it means you get to travel though and not be stuck in an office every day of the week.

You'll be designing drain drainwater pipe arrangements if you are lucky to get a job atm, and get paid pittance when starting :D. Long hours in the office, with the odd trip to meetings on site. It's not as glamourous as it seems when you start off.

Permabanned
*Architect*: *daydreams and doodles on paper*

goes to civil engineer with ludicrous plan...

*Architect*: "I want to build this!"
*Civil engineer*: "WTF! you want me to design and build that?":eek:

Civil engineer designs and builds building

*Opening ceremony*: "And we congratulate 'Talentless Architects' of london for this beautiful building!"
*Civil engineer sitting in the back row*: *cries*

:p

:D Architecture is much more appealing to me as it's creative, you can travel, and it can be well paid.

Back
Top Bottom