• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

So just a little update. I pushed the voltage up to 1.1 on msi afterburner and it roughly halfed the coil whine noise. Running 3d mark it was really noisey. Now I can just about here it.

Voltage was locked out on my MSI afterburner. I raised the power limit to 115% but it didn't make a difference apart from allowing a better overclock.

The Liquid cooled Suprim X and it whines too the same as the none liquid cooled one, so basically they all whine. I have only tested one the normal suprim x at my work mates and his whines like a bee hive too, so it's just a fact of life with these, TUF models also whined we had a work too for the people that purchased them when we tested them too, yet to test the zotacs that were purchased too but so far 3 out of 3 cards whine from two different brands.

Last edited:
Small update. The Suprim X got refunded and I managed to track down an Inno3D. Most anaemic VRM of them all I think - but almost no coil whine. What's left may well be in my PSU rather than the card itself. Coil whine is basically the same as what I had with the 3080 Suprim X.

So if you're on the hunt for a card with no coil whine, looks like it's the Zotac / Inno3D / Palit trio you'll want. They all seem to have the same VRM with cheaper components that don't scream like a banshee!

Regitered a account to join the party :)

Suprim X owner here and exact same coil whine in high load + ticking sound in low load

The fan noise is really silent though

Trying to get bios update and undervolt to see if anything changes

Last edited:
Regitered a account to join the party :)

Suprim X owner here and exact same coil whine in high load + ticking sound in low load

The fan noise is red icy loudly silent though

Trying to get bios update and undervolt to see if anything changes

Welcome aboard. United in a common cause! lol.

Let us know how you get on with the undervolt.

Last edited:
Small update. The Suprim X got refunded and I managed to track down an Inno3D. Most anaemic VRM of them all I think - but almost no coil whine. What's left may well be in my PSU rather than the card itself. Coil whine is basically the same as what I had with the 3080 Suprim X.

So if you're on the hunt for a card with no coil whine, looks like it's the Zotac / Inno3D / Palit trio you'll want. They all seem to have the same VRM with cheaper components that don't scream like a banshee!

How is the Fan Noise with the Inno3D?

Welcome aboard. United in a common cause! lol.

Let us know how you get on with the undervolt.
No luck, tried the latest Quiet and Gaming bios. Coil whine persists in both cases.
925mV is the lowest I could go somehow, 920mV start to show graphic glitch.

Also no change from overclock / reduce power limit.

I plan to use it over the weekend and if no change/news from MSI I will pack it and send it back to the retailer next week.. Sadly I really love the fan and temp.

How is the Fan Noise with the Inno3D?

Not as good as the Suprim X :( MSI's Suprim heatsinks are really good! With the Inno3D there's mostly just wind noise, but a fair amount of it. It's not annoying or particularly loud. Sometimes the fans can spin up to a higher level than I'd expect them too, but they eventually come down. It is helpfully smart when it comes to idle power though. If you run 2 monitors the fans will turn off. If you run 3 high-refresh monitors like I do the fans will run at a slow speed all the time. You can hear it, but it's not offensive. This is very preferable to how all the earlier cards have performed where they'd click on at 50c with a whoosh, then a bit later click off. Then click on again, rinse, repeat. Super annoying. While there is a fan curve, it seems a bit more 'stepped' to me, where it has specific ranges it seems to like. The good news is that it sticks to that range for a long time. Personally, I really like this kind of 'curve'. The reason is if you have a smooth curve the fan noise will always be varying. The changes you notice. However, with a fairly constant hum like from the Inno3D you tune it out pretty quickly.

If you're used to the louder coolers of the past the Inno3D will seem very quiet. If you're used to something like a Suprim X it'll appear a little noisier but not offensive.

However, fair notice - I'm running the card vertical with the side panel off. My setup is basically only really functional with water (reverse airflow, mega negative pressure), so I need to run with the sidepanel off until I can get a waterblock on the card. I'm also super sensitive to noise. Fans run at low rpm at all times, and only Bequiet Silent Wings. Personally I'd find the Inno3D acceptable noise-wise. But if you want truly quiet it's all about the water!

4090 FE, slight coil buzz. Not high pitched, just a low non changing buzz.

Running it frame uncapped over the weekend, an hour of port royal benching and a couple of hours of Quake RTX appears to have removed most of the coil buzz.

Now the coil buzz is nearly gone all together. From new the 4090fe was pretty acceptable compared to my 3090fe which was a howler.

Cyberpunk is very quiet. Worst game I’ve found so far for coil whine is MW2 campaign. The MW2 beta made the 3090fe scream.

I should have my new card beginning of next week I'll start with MS Calculator and slowly work up to demanding games lol.
where are you getting all these cards ;)... my new build has been built for silence spending silly money on fans alone. motherboard was buzzing at idle which is now sorted but only thing is this darn card. playing single player games without headphones is not enjoyable. can hear it over everything as my computer also sits on my desk next to me. I think im going to speak to OC tomorrow and see if they can test another suprim x and see if its got whine and if not see it if they will swap. Their customer service has been stella to me for other things...

where are you getting all these cards ;)... my new build has been built for silence spending silly money on fans alone. motherboard was buzzing at idle which is now sorted but only thing is this darn card. playing single player games without headphones is not enjoyable. can hear it over everything as my computer also sits on my desk next to me. I think im going to speak to OC tomorrow and see if they can test another suprim x and see if its got whine and if not see it if they will swap. Their customer service has been stella to me for other things...

Yeah just make sure where ever you buy it you return within your cool down period, while you have all the rights.

Might be interesting to see what my new one is like as well.

I'm the same with silence, I've got 9 BeQuiet Light Wing fans, a Dark Rock Pro on the CPU and its glorious.

Back
Top Bottom