• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Suprim X ... but I spoke to soon. Tested a few games and it was fine, loaded up Uncharted and it was horrendous for some reason. I'm done with it now, returning it for a refund. I'd rather have a lesser card that doesn't make this kind of noise. I'll see what AMD offer on the 3rd and go from there.

Suprim X ... but I spoke to soon. Tested a few games and it was fine, loaded up Uncharted and it was horrendous for some reason. I'm done with it now, returning it for a refund. I'd rather have a lesser card that doesn't make this kind of noise. I'll see what AMD offer on the 3rd and go from there.
Ahh man. I've just requested a return. Fed up. Paid £2140 for a card that I can't play single player games using my speakers.. got little children in the house so limited to volume alobg with not wearing a headset listebing to the newborn. I've reveived an email back stating they might not accept the return which I personally think is ridiculous.

Ahh man. I've just requested a return. Fed up. Paid £2140 for a card that I can't play single player games using my speakers.. got little children in the house so limited to volume alobg with not wearing a headset listebing to the newborn. I've reveived an email back stating they might not accept the return which I personally think is ridiculous.

Man that would suck when did you order it? You have two weeks to return anything don't you. I did mine today for my replacement, as the original was received exactly two weeks ago. Wasn't sure if the replacement extended the original two weeks or not but wasn't willing to take a chance. To be fair a competitior have been really good with me.

I'd rather have 30 less frames on Uncharted and be able to enjoy the silent moments.

Man that would suck when did you order it? You have two weeks to return anything don't you. I did mine today for my replacement, as the original was received exactly two weeks ago. Wasn't sure if the replacement extended the original two weeks or not but wasn't willing to take a chance. To be fair a competitior have been really good with me.

I'd rather have 30 less frames on Uncharted and be able to enjoy the silent moments.
Well I opened the ticket on my 14th day so should be honoured. I bought it from overclockers and their customer service has be 100% for me personally. Waiting to hear... Will see if they are happy to swap for a inno3d as heard they are silent and don't have noise issues..

I wouldn't worry. It's either faulty and you can get a refund or its not and you can get a refund within your 14 days. I'm not sure if "restocking fees" apply to the latter option. Interesting I'll look at the Inno3D version.

As someone on the fence with this generation of card, this talk of coil whine is seriously off-putting. Reading this thread - as someone who tries to build a silent PC - I feel for those suffering with their new purchases, especially given the price point. I hope you can all find gaming nirvana without irritating noises, whether that means refunding, replacing, or giving up.

I'm not technical enough to know where to pin the blame, and probably haven't read enough, but is this a case of randomly buying until you get lucky - or hoping that the AIB's listen to the feedback and create better models?

As someone on the fence with this generation of card, this talk of coil whine is seriously off-putting. Reading this thread - as someone who tries to build a silent PC - I feel for those suffering with their new purchases, especially given the price point. I hope you can all find gaming nirvana without irritating noises, whether that means refunding, replacing, or giving up.

I'm not technical enough to know where to pin the blame, and probably haven't read enough, but is this a case of randomly buying until you get lucky - or hoping that the AIB's listen to the feedback and create better models?
After extensive reading and learning my side. My understanding is that it's thw vrms that create this buzz. It seems all the higher tier cards are using similar style vrms which seem to be the noisey ones. I've ended up rma my suprim x which was a really really good card. Looked amazing oc amazing and ran really cool and quiet MINUS the insane buzz from the card. I've just picked up a inno3d oc which is the most budget one out there from aibs I believe but has been stated to be one that doesn't suffer from coil whine and runs cool and quiet. My monitor now puts out more noise than my new pc build..

After extensive reading and learning my side. My understanding is that it's thw vrms that create this buzz. It seems all the higher tier cards are using similar style vrms which seem to be the noisey ones. I've ended up rma my suprim x which was a really really good card. Looked amazing oc amazing and ran really cool and quiet MINUS the insane buzz from the card. I've just picked up a inno3d oc which is the most budget one out there from aibs I believe but has been stated to be one that doesn't suffer from coil whine and runs cool and quiet. My monitor now puts out more noise than my new pc build..
It's the chokes aka inductors that cause the coil whine. It's called coil whine because the inductors contain a coil inside that can vibrate and cause a coil whine sound.

Something to read :-

Last edited:
It's the chokes aka inductors that cause the coil whine. It's called coil whine because the inductors contain a coil inside that can vibrate and cause a coil whine sound.

Something to read :-

Sorry yes you are correct. its VRM's on motherboards.. got the 2 mixed up.

Ill give that a read, thanks

Sorry yes you are correct. its VRM's on motherboards.. got the 2 mixed up.

Ill give that a read, thanks

VRMS are chips and solid state they don't make noise (electrical and radio noise maybe if badly designed or not shielded). VRMS voltage regulator modules, I think you are confusing VRMS the chips with Inductors the things that look like little bricks, the VRMS are normally right next the the inductors.

VRMS are on the gpu and motherboards. Also you have Inductors in PSUs too and chokes and they can cause coil whine to come out of the PSU too. Monitors can whine too again because they contain Chokes/Inductors, so any electrical device that uses them can whine.

Last edited:
VRMS are chips and solid state they don't make noise. VRMS voltage regulator modules, I think you are confusing VRMS the chips with Inductors the things that look like little bricks, the VRMS are normally right next the the inductors.

VRMS are on the gpu and motherboards. Also you have Inductors in PSUs too and chokes and they can cause coil whine to come out of the PSU too. Monitors can whine too again because they contain Chokes/Inductors, so any electrical device that uses them can whine.
Ahhh yeah I see. The Inductors are the coils... definetly getting the 2 confused. Clearly didnt learn enough from my late night reading eh.. thanks for clarification

monitor is just fan noise tbh...no pesky high pitched buzz

Whine has existed since eternity, cannot recall a single dGPU I have owned that didn't have whine depending on what power state it was in when gaming.

I thought my 6800XT had coil whine and even isolated it down to that by simply swaping in a 3080 and hearing no coil whine...put 6800XT back in and got coil whine. So I knew the 6800XT had coil whine.

I was, however, incorrect.

The coil whine was coming from my PSU and the 6800XT was just loading the PSU in a way that brought out the PSU's coil whine. I held a piece of cardboard to to isolate the PSU and GPU and could then clearly identify the sound was coming from the PSU. A new PSU has since fixed the issue.

I wonder if some of the people who switch to a 4090 and get coild whine are using the same flawed thinking I was.

Back
Top Bottom