• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Can honestly say my MSI Gaming Trio 4090 has no coil whine that I can hear, even when it's working hard. Only thing I hear from it are its fans when it heats up and even those aren't loud. Significantly quieter than the 3080TI FE it replaced.

So my replacement has been sent out (not received yet).

They tested my old card and the technician put "Faulty - Installed into an MSI X570 Motherboard, 5800X CPU and 2 x 8GB DDR4 RAM. Ran Cyberpunk in 4K RTX enabled, almost instantly heard the coil whine."

coil whine doesnt mean something is faulty though

It does to me if I can hear it over gameplay. Everyone's different but I wouldn't personally let a GPU manufacturer with a vested interest tell me what's faulty or not. Had a perfectly good 3080 from them, paying thousands for a worse experience isn't on IMO.

I had two PS5s that buzzed and then got one that was perfect. Its worth the extra hassle to get it sorted.

I am very close to buying a Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 off someone only selling it $200 above MSRP where I live and only $98 above it as no sales tax to be paid and money straight to them.

Does anyone know how the Gigabyte Gaming OC is in terms of coil whine.

I know most cards have some, but it needs to be hush and faint level of whine.

I have a Gaming OIC 3090 Ti and whine is very hush and faint and barely noticeable and consistent and I fine that very reasonable.

I would think 4090 would be same since power limits are similar unless they redesigned the PCB and VRM and inductors and such.

I had got the Gigabyte RTX 3090 Ti based on this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ulfxc2/my_experience_with_3090_ti_and_coil_whine/

Knowing I could return it if it was bad. Though this is a private seller so no return loll.

Based on research though it appears Asus is really really bad for coil whine with 3000 series in general and has carried over to 4000 series. MSI seems to have gotten worse with 4000 series and even 3090 Ti.

Gigabyte seems to have less complaints. The others not enough data.

MSI 4090 Suprim X here, not sure if it sounds more like a Drone or a GPU.

It's just ridiculous, will be going back and will keep with my silent Gigabyte 3080TI.

Last edited:
MSI 4090 Suprim X here, not sure if it sounds more like a Drone or a GPU.

It's just ridiculous, will be going back and will keep with my silent Gigabyte 3080TI.
cant even hear anything, mouse clicks sound loud but thats it, i imagine no side panel and case next to your face doesnt help things

They are all like it according to MSI :confused:.

Send it back and get a replacement, the only way manufacturers will get off their bums and actually resolve this is if we push back and say, no, it is not acceptable for lazy engineering on a £2000 product.

Correctly designed power delivery or differing components can mitigate or eliminate the issue altogether, however they use the easy options and expect us to take it as a "characteristic" of the product.

Back
Top Bottom