• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Something going on with Uncharted 4? I remember having a 1080Ti that almost never had any coil whine... except on the main menu in Witcher 3, where it absolutely squealed.

Don't have Uncharted 4 myself (bought a 4090 this month, so not buying any games), so can't test it with my otherwise whine-free Inno3D.

Something going on with Uncharted 4? I remember having a 1080Ti that almost never had any coil whine... except on the main menu in Witcher 3, where it absolutely squealed.

Don't have Uncharted 4 myself (bought a 4090 this month, so not buying any games), so can't test it with my otherwise whine-free Inno3D.

I don't know tbh. With Dlss it reduced dramatically but then what's the point having to use that at this price point when native got me my maximum refresh rate (120fps). Apparently Inno3D are one of the best ones for not having coil whine due to different capacitors (same with Pallit and Zotec I believe).

I don't know tbh. With Dlss it reduced dramatically but then what's the point having to use that at this price point when native got me my maximum refresh rate (120fps). Apparently Inno3D are one of the best ones for not having coil whine due to different capacitors (same with Pallit and Zotec I believe).

You mean inductors. The capacitors have nothing to do with the coil whine.

You mean inductors. The capacitors have nothing to do with the coil whine.

To make it easy you can just say coil whine is caused by vibrations of the VRM power delivery components. You can help with the noise by testing different thermal pads and coil whine can be reduced when the thermal pads make good contact with the VRM and also just turning up your fan speed or using headphones can help to drown out the noise. Coil whine can also be reduced by capping your framerate to your monitor refresh rate

Last edited:
At this point i refuse to believe people who say they dont have coil whine. My 3090 was an Inno3D 4Xichill. It was loud and hot (fans) so i wanted a silent card this time around, read some reviews, Asus TUF 4090 performed well. Got that one and noticed the coil whine. I swapped in my 3090 and had no coil whine, i tried 4 different Corsair PSU's 3X1000Watt and one 750watt and have the same coil whine on my 4090. Its not the worst but its noticable, but also the card... well.. it is incredible cool and silent, while my 3090 Inno ran at 80 degrees celcius constantly with fans sounding they're about to take off, so i dont know if the coil whine dissapeared over time. I almost returned my 4090 but then i inserted a Gigabyte 3070 i had lying around. (Okay yes, i was a miner, sue me) and then noticed a coil whine, less severe, but constant and even in destkop, something i never noticed before and now im wondering if i never noticed the coil whine. So im not returning my 4090 Asus TUF because honestly its not that bad and i feel i would get worse cards.

Im just hoping it breaks in at some point, also its very weird, yesterday i was not able to hear coilk whine at all, now i just bought Modern Warfare 2 and its very audible. I hate that its not an exact science.

Last edited:
cant hea ra thing, il give you £50 for it

All I heard was "this is unchaaahaaa faaaaaaw coped to 120 faaames per second"

But not bad whining though, could hear a little bit with volume maxed out on my side and his phones pressed right up to the card - nothing the game sound wouldn't drown out unless the GPU is sitting right next to your ears

Last edited:
All I heard was "this is unchaaahaaa faaaaaaw coped to 120 faaames per second"

But not bad whining though, could hear a little bit with volume maxed out on my side and his phones pressed right up to the card - nothing the game sound wouldn't drown out unless the GPU is sitting right next to your ears
Exactly my thoughts too, seems a pessimistic post with unrealistic checks for coil whine since there is zero background noise.

Well its worth noting there's often times in games where there is no music. I can hear it from 2.5 meters away.

Maybe I am been too fussy IDK. I just know my 3080 Suprim was so much better in this regard.

Honestly it may be the video but I genuinely can't really hear much at all. If anything I'm more surprised you can hear that 2.5 meters away.

My Suprim X does have coil whine (as did my 3080, 3090, 7950XT) but I really only hear/noticed this when benching on 3D Mark. Gaming wise I never did based on the audio from games essentially taking over. Even in games where there's no music I can't say I have noticed anything really from my PC with the Suprim X installed.

Maybe I'm used to/have become conditioned to high performing components having an element of coil whine. :cry:

Last edited:
It's hard to describe but if something in the room starts buzzing like that you can hear it quite a distance away. So when Uncharted starts instead of the menu music all you can hear is this buzz. Or in the quiet chapters where there's no background music and it's just ambient.

If I use DLSS even on quality it dissappears, but why spend so much money for that kind of compromise. I also spent loads creating a high performance, silent build. Aside from DLSS if I lower the power target to 50% that's when it dissapears.

It's hard to describe but if something in the room starts buzzing like that you can hear it quite a distance away. So when Uncharted starts instead of the menu music all you can hear is this buzz. Or in the quiet chapters where there's no background music and it's just ambient.

If I use DLSS even on quality it dissappears, but why spend so much money for that kind of compromise. I also spent loads creating a high performance, silent build. Aside from DLSS if I lower the power target to 50% that's when it dissapears.
The problem you're going to continue to have is some element of coil whine is likely to be present.

I guess we'll all have our differing tolerances to this and I'm sure some would find your card fine and others wouldn't. End of the day if you aren't satisfied then send it back, I can imagine it gets to a point where the retailer may refuse a further exchange however. Although granted I'm not sure on the grounds for refusal.

Last edited:
Yeah that's it. The responses to my video are a great example how we all hear differently. I've had from "that's absolutely terrible" to "Its fine I can't hear anything".

It's a super hassle don't get me wrong, but for me been able to enjoy quiet scenes makes it all worth while in the end.

How well do sound dampening cases work against coil whine? My Asus has some coil whine but I don't want to trade it in for a potentially worse model.
Wtih a p600s I don't hear the coil whine unless I open the glass panel and put my ear near the card. case under desk though.

how loud is your whine? on my suprim x with the fans spinning at their lowest RPM it's hard to hear anything

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom