• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Associate
I am trying to find a 4090 or 4080 with none.

I have a Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 and now a PNY 4090. Unfortunately both have too much coil whine though I have heard worse from Asus Stix and Tuf RTX 3080 Ti and 3090 cards.

But disappointed as Gigabyte Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3090 Ti had such faint and hush or almost none in a Silent Base 802 and was hoping same would be the fcase for 4090 Gaming OC. Unfortunately it is too much. And while somewhat tame, not tame enough on either Gigabyte or PNY/:mad::mad:

Associate
I am trying to find an Aorus Master RTX 4090 for a price not so badly high like lower $2Ks and mid $2Ks at highest (most are higher $2Ks when factoring in shipping darn NVIDIA making so few).

It seems it probably has the best chance of no or minimal coil whine of 4000 cards that also have a fine or good VRM and robust design to prevent failure. DeBauer review of 4080 had like almost no coil whine so I assume same for 4090 Aorus Master.

There is also Palit Game Rock OC and Zotac and Inno3D, though Zotac seems to have very bad loud fans and weaker less robust system and Palit is a terrible failure prone design per Buildzoid and I have heard Inno3D uses same or similar PCB and VRM which means its design is probably also crap.

Associate
Well I found an Aorus Master RTX 4090 that I had to drive 340 miles to get for $2200.

And sadly it had worse coil whine than the PNY XLR8 and Gigabyte Gaming OC. It was a constant harsh buzz on the Aorus Master

So I sold it and am going to try another Gaming OC and may try swapping PSUs

Soldato
Well I found an Aorus Master RTX 4090 that I had to drive 340 miles to get for $2200.

And sadly it had worse coil whine than the PNY XLR8 and Gigabyte Gaming OC. It was a constant harsh buzz on the Aorus Master

So I sold it and am going to try another Gaming OC and may try swapping PSUs
Try the PSU.

I thought my 6800XT had coil whine because there was no coil whine from the 3080 I removed out of the same system.

The only thing that changed was the graphics card....but 8r was the PSU that was whining, not the graphics card.

The new graphics card just created a type of load that exposed the *PSU's* coil whine.

Last edited:
Associate
Try the PSU.

I thought my 6800XT had coil whine because there was no coil whine from the 3080 I removed out of the same system.

The only thing that changed was the graphics card....but 8r was the PSU that was whining, not the graphics card.

The new graphics card just created a type of load that exposed the *PSU's* coil whine.

I have a Corsair HX1200 which is a very good PSU.

But I am going to try a different one like the SeaSonic PX-1300 or Asus ROG Thor Platinum II 1000 watt. I believe the Asus ROG Thor Platinum II is a rebranded SeaSonic under the hood? What I like about it is it comes with the direct connect 12vpwhr cable where as all SeaSonic ones except the TX-1600 you have to order separately and it is not in stock anywhere. The Corsair has a direct connect cable, but no inline caps and the inline caps are responsible for superb ripple suppression. Yes the Corsair top end PSUs still have good to very good ripple suppression without the caps in cables, but I want superb to be sure. And SeaSonic Prime based units per Aris reviews have superb ripple suppression without any filtering caps.

One thing I wonder is if the motherboard plays a role. I have found from 3 different replies on Tech PowerUp and Overclock.net those with no coil whine on Asus motherboards. 1 Asus Z790 Apex, an Asus X570 Dark Hero, and an Asus Z790 Rampage Extreme. They all say they have no coil whine with a Suprim X on both Z790 boards even with their ear next to the card when it is under load on a test bench and the other has a Giga Gaming OC on the X570 Dark Hero.

Maybe Asus after all produces motherboards that mitigate coil whine for attached components. Though their motherboards maybe excellent at mitigating coil whine, their video cards are the worst offenders of it.

Coincidence or something to it regarding Asus high end motherboards being better at mitigating coil whine of GPUs??

Associate
Thought I’d add some of my experience in case it helps anyone, my asus strix 3070 died, and recently upgraded to the Thor ii 1000w and hero Z790, tried an Asus strix 3070 ti, strix 3080 both had really bad coil whine, gigabyte Aorus 3070 ti same thing.

Started to think it was the psu even swapped all the cables, then tried an Asus tuf non oc 4080 that was the worst, now using the 4080 fe psu and mobo the same and zero coil whine.

I’m so glad I didn’t go down the route of swapping out motherboards and power supplies, I was tempted by the 4090 but hard to find, I’m not swapping the 4080 for anything at this point. The thing is silent. I have to thank oc for letting me return some of them without any issues, if I could have I would have bought the fe from here.

Soldato
is there a different coil whine sound from a gpu and psu.

im getting more of an annoying buzzing type sound but it vanishes when i lower resolution or cap fps.

i just assumed it was the gpu

Soldato
Depending on your case layour, you could use a piece of cardboard or something to isolate the card and PSU. Just hold the cardpoard between the gpu and the PSU and see if you hear the sound on the gpu side of the cardboard or the PSU side.

Associate
I have a Corsair HX1200 which is a very good PSU.

But I am going to try a different one like the SeaSonic PX-1300 or Asus ROG Thor Platinum II 1000 watt. I believe the Asus ROG Thor Platinum II is a rebranded SeaSonic under the hood? What I like about it is it comes with the direct connect 12vpwhr cable where as all SeaSonic ones except the TX-1600 you have to order separately and it is not in stock anywhere. The Corsair has a direct connect cable, but no inline caps and the inline caps are responsible for superb ripple suppression. Yes the Corsair top end PSUs still have good to very good ripple suppression without the caps in cables, but I want superb to be sure. And SeaSonic Prime based units per Aris reviews have superb ripple suppression without any filtering caps.

One thing I wonder is if the motherboard plays a role. I have found from 3 different replies on Tech PowerUp and Overclock.net those with no coil whine on Asus motherboards. 1 Asus Z790 Apex, an Asus X570 Dark Hero, and an Asus Z790 Rampage Extreme. They all say they have no coil whine with a Suprim X on both Z790 boards even with their ear next to the card when it is under load on a test bench and the other has a Giga Gaming OC on the X570 Dark Hero.

Maybe Asus after all produces motherboards that mitigate coil whine for attached components. Though their motherboards maybe excellent at mitigating coil whine, their video cards are the worst offenders of it.

Coincidence or something to it regarding Asus high end motherboards being better at mitigating coil whine of GPUs??
I love your dedication to finding a coil-whine free card.
But driving 340mi +, and spending untold £$ in the process... more than I could ever justify. Id spend that money trying to get the PC out of the room I sit in.

I think what your experiance highlights yet again is the seeming high level of luck involved.

Another thing to keep in mind... I think some people just have a very different preception of "quiet" and also of what consititutes "coil whine"
I think some folks, really just cant hear it. Either through age, or other things that affect hearing.

My 3090's coil-whine still bothers me whenever I play a game with a quiet section in it.... but I just dont have the will / funds to keep trying different brands on a whim.

Associate
I love your dedication to finding a coil-whine free card.
But driving 340mi +, and spending untold £$ in the process... more than I could ever justify. Id spend that money trying to get the PC out of the room I sit in.

I think what your experiance highlights yet again is the seeming high level of luck involved.

Another thing to keep in mind... I think some people just have a very different preception of "quiet" and also of what consititutes "coil whine"
I think some folks, really just cant hear it. Either through age, or other things that affect hearing.

My 3090's coil-whine still bothers me whenever I play a game with a quiet section in it.... but I just dont have the will / funds to keep trying different brands on a whim.

Well I really thought that was the card to get as DeBauer had no reports of no coil whine on RTX 4080 Master and driving 340 miles saved me $400 to $500 bucks as the prices on ebay were far worse. Not going to do that again. Tired of it and will just pay up if need be., I am not rich as in can just afford to buy lots of newer cars and a huge house for full cash with no loan, but I have no mortgage and own my home free and clear since I moved into it in 2013 and also free of any kind of other debt, so I have money to spend on computer stuff to get what I want.

And the sad thing is, I even tried a power limit to 80% and it does nothing. Going to 60% helped a little then 55% seemed to almost get rid of it in games. Then even at 45% it was back annoying buzz sound rom the card.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd try getting the 4090fe, worked for me and also helps its seriously cheaper, with great build quality.

How is coil whine and what motherboard and PSU are you using?

Only problem with Founder's is it has the one blower style fan and those get extremely loud to keep the card cool. I tried with a GTX 1080 Founders in June 2016 and ended up selling it as bower style fan was very loud.

Last edited:
Associate
How is coil whine and what motherboard and PSU are you using?

Only problem with Founder's is it has the one blower style fan and those get extremely loud. I tried with a GTX 1080 Founders in June 2016 and ended up selling it as bower style fan was very loud.
just got a 4090 fe cant hear anything unless i take side of case and put ear near it then its a slight hum similar to what i had on 3080 tuf.

calling it a blower style seems odd cause yeah the old ones were with a ****** fan at one end but im not feeling that here

Last edited:
Associate
just got a 4090 fe cant hear anything unless i take side of case and put ear near it then its a slight hum similar to what i had on 3080 tuf.

calling it a blower style seems odd cause yeah the old ones were with a ****** fan at one end but im not feeling that here

Is the fan quiet on yours?

And blower style I think that is the design as it has one fan and a big vent attached intended to exhaust all hot air out of the case through card back vent.

The ones with 2 or 3 fans on top seem to blow cool it directly and some air gets recycled into the case and some goes out the back.

Soldato
Founders Edition nowadays is a very well engineered card. Mine runs with barely any coil whine, unless I take the glass panel off and get down on my knees! And the fans barely need to go past 50% while gaming while keeping just over 60C.

It's even better than that now with the cold weather :D

Associate
Is the fan quiet on yours?

And blower style I think that is the design as it has one fan and a big vent attached intended to exhaust all hot air out of the case through card back vent.

The ones with 2 or 3 fans on top seem to blow cool it directly and some air gets recycled into the case and some goes out the back.
i wouldnt say quiet, its quite noticable ones it hits 30% and the noise profile isnt that great and if i set to 100 it sounds like a hovercraft :p

Last edited:
Associate
After reading this thread I decided against Asus and MSI and went for a less expensive KFA2 4080 SG. Have been running Minecraft and Witcher 3, both in 4K@120Hz with RT and Ultra settings. So far no noticeable coil whine, not even with open enclosure and my head right next to the card.

Corsair RM750x
AMD 5600X
MSI X470 Gaming plus

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom