• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Associate
I have just tested myself and this is true, I have the correct average hearing level for my age, what Hz level is coil whine operating at then?
must be over 15k cause thats around where i lose it as a 40+ person and i never hear the whine i see people posting vids about

Soldato
Mines where it should be for mid-40s and that's 13.6k (Sennheiser earphones running the hearing test at 1080p). I would therefore say that it would be helpful if people stated their age range when they report coil whine on their 4080 & 4090. It would be interesting know also know how many people over 40 are suffering versus those in their 20s.

Soldato
MSI 4080 Suprim X here - running in gaming mode.

Case located on the floor next to my desk - I haven't noticed coil whine over the noise of my case fans.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm amazed that such an annoying issue that detracts from customer experience gets overlooked in QC for such expensive cards? Surely there are methods to avoid these.

Associate
I'm amazed that such an annoying issue that detracts from customer experience gets overlooked in QC for such expensive cards? Surely there are methods to avoid these.
I'm more surprised that the tech media hasn't picked up on this issue more. Most of the YT channels essentially say, "it's a problem, here are some potential workarounds". They dont try and hold the manufacturer to account for what in my opinion is a defect. I would love someone like Gamers Nexus to pursue this to try and get some real answers as to why there appears to be a coil whine lottery and why manufacturers seem to think it's OK for consumers to put up with it (something that is even more unacceptable with todays £1k + GPU's.

Why spend hundreds on quiet fans\watercooling etc if all of you efforts will be undone by the GPU screeching at you.

Associate
I'm more surprised that the tech media hasn't picked up on this issue more. Most of the YT channels essentially say, "it's a problem, here are some potential workarounds". They dont try and hold the manufacturer to account for what in my opinion is a defect. I would love someone like Gamers Nexus to pursue this to try and get some real answers as to why there appears to be a coil whine lottery and why manufacturers seem to think it's OK for consumers to put up with it (something that is even more unacceptable with todays £1k + GPU's.

Why spend hundreds on quiet fans\watercooling etc if all of you efforts will be undone by the GPU screeching at you.

100% agreed, especially when those high end fans are wasted and drowned by the screaming of the coils.

Associate

This has been my stance for a while too.
I honestly cant understand why the GPU manufacutres spend so much on R&D to quiet down GPU cooling solutions.... doing things like making sure 2x fans dont spin at the same exact RPM or spinning the middle fan on a 3 fan card the other way... all for quieter operation... then just completely pretend Coil whine isnt a problem.

Its like if a car manufacture spent millions on making the engine noise in the cabin quiet, made sure no wind noise from the airflow over the wing mirrors.... and then just fitted the squeakest springs....

It gets especially baffaling with products like the ASUS x Noctua GPU. A product whos concept appeals to me perfectly. Fast ultra quiet performance... yet many reviews mention those cards whine too...

And while it somtimes gets mentioned in a tech review if its particularly bad, I have yet to see any detailed analysis as to WHY coil whine is so varried.
Why is it such a lottery?
And why do we let the manufacures off the hook? Why do so many people just accept "with this level of power you just get coil whine"
Im sure nobody would accept this lottery when it came to fan noise? Would we just accept "its a lottery if your fan is going to rattle or not"

And yea, especially bizare to me when these GPUs are costing more than ever before. It really spoils the whole idea of review reading and finding which GPU might be an upgrade. Why bother get an ASUS Strix with a super quiet cooler that whines like a banshee... when you might get lucky with a Zotac card for ££ less?

Soldato
Asus have the best PCB's and components generally speaking and therefore you could only speculate that its not the components but simply the level of current running through these mid and upper tier cards.

Maybe buying the cheapest, nastiest, low-power limit card is the way to go.

I doubt the laptop versions of the 4080 could get away with whine, maybe going 4080 laptop is the best way to go.

Associate
Asus have the best PCB's and components generally speaking and therefore you could only speculate that its not the components but simply the level of current running through these mid and upper tier cards.

I doubt the laptop versions of the 4080 could get away with whine, maybe going 4080 laptop is the best way to go.
dothey? or have you been drinking the asus koolaid and huffing the copium you get for the extra price?

Soldato
I have never purchased any Asus GPU (I buy Galax, Reference and EVGA only or, at least used to) but yes, admittedly both the TUF and Strix are best in class for the PCB's and actual parts placed onto the PCB. There might be situations where other vendors have decided to try and one-up Asus on the TUF and Strix but in their particular tiers, across the past 8 years they are the boards to beat in their price class. Cost is a separate factor but the TUF is usually, almost always, the one you should pick in a blind test.

Last edited:
Soldato

I thought the Asus boards had more current running through fewer components. If so, those components whoukd need to be able to hande more current individually. Higher current capability arguably makes a a component "better" but when the overall design iimpliments fewer components (because fewer high-current components can handle the load) it may result in more noise.

The lower-current components need to pull less current and compensate by spreading the load over more phases. (And it may explain why the cheaper setups seem to whine less)

Last edited:
Associate
I have never purchased any Asus GPU (I buy Galax, Reference and EVGA only or, at least used to) but yes, admittedly both the TUF and Strix are best in class for the PCB's and actual parts placed onto the PCB. There might be situations where other vendors have decided to try and one-up Asus on the TUF and Strix but in their particular tiers, across the past 8 years they are the boards to beat in their price class. Cost is a separate factor but the TUF is usually, almost always, the one you should pick in a blind test.
That depends entirely what you want out of a GPU.

If you just want a card to run at default settings and pretty much install and forget.... why does picking an ASUS help?

Pretty much any 4080 or 4090 for example will perform within 5% of each other. The days of the top-tier OC models adding anything apporaching worth the added cost are long gone.

Even when it comes to overclocking... it seems most cards have little in the tank.

And again, comes down to what people care about in a GPU.

Some folks will really value balls-to-the-wall overclocking... so maybe ASUS is best for that?

But what about those of us like me that just want utter silence? Well, the ASUS strix in current lineup appears to have the quitest cooler.... but also lottery chance of coil-whine.
Apparently, the Zotac cards have less reports of whine....

It really has got to a point where id take a louder cooler over coil-whine. Whats the point of a cooler being quiet if the void is filled with an annoying buzzing.

Ill take air whooosch over buzzing...

And with a card that has little/no whine, at least you could throw a water block on it and reduce noise that way.

With coil-whine, basically nothing you can do. Try your luck with an RMA or return the card...

Associate
I am coming late to this thread and have not read all of it but I did hear elsewhere that Asus+msi were using a certain, high quality, brand of capacitors that have had issues with whine whilst the less well regarded brands such as Zotac+Pny were using less quality capacitors and had less issues with whine. It really is a lottery.

And with a card that has little/no whine, at least you could throw a water block on it and reduce noise that way.

With coil-whine, basically nothing you can do. Try your luck with an RMA or return the card...

I have an Asus TUF RX 6800 in my current PC. I got when it was available in the mining madness so it was available and I knew I could get a waterblock for this card, I am brand agnostic and will often buy the cheapest. When it had the stock TUF cooler on it I had no coil whine when I was testing with WH II. I then put a waterblock on it and now in certain situations I get awful whine. The campaign map on WH III is really bad but once I go into the battles it goes away and no whine at all. I will soon be swapping my 7900xtx to the water cooled pc and putting the stock cooler back onto the 6800 so I will see if the coil whine goes away.

Slapping a waterblock on is not guaranteed way to get rid of coil whine and can make it appear when it did not occur originally. Really is a roll of the dice.

Associate
I am coming late to this thread and have not read all of it but I did hear elsewhere that Asus+msi were using a certain, high quality, brand of capacitors that have had issues with whine whilst the less well regarded brands such as Zotac+Pny were using less quality capacitors and had less issues with whine. It really is a lottery.

I have an Asus TUF RX 6800 in my current PC. I got when it was available in the mining madness so it was available and I knew I could get a waterblock for this card, I am brand agnostic and will often buy the cheapest. When it had the stock TUF cooler on it I had no coil whine when I was testing with WH II. I then put a waterblock on it and now in certain situations I get awful whine. The campaign map on WH III is really bad but once I go into the battles it goes away and no whine at all. I will soon be swapping my 7900xtx to the water cooled pc and putting the stock cooler back onto the 6800 so I will see if the coil whine goes away.

Slapping a waterblock on is not guaranteed way to get rid of coil whine and can make it appear when it did not occur originally. Really is a roll of the dice.
ah man... does the coil-whine tail have no end ? :p

Honestly... if I manage to get a GPU that is whine-free, ill hang onto it.

So tired of it from my current PC, but also dont have the funds/will power/patenice to keep buying/sending back different GPUs.

In an ideal world... id do what Linus has done.... move the PC into a central location in the house and run optical DP / USB cables back to my desk.
Then I dont care one bit about noise... or heat, or anything. Its all away from where I sit.
Sadly while renting thats not going to be possible...

Associate
No coil whine whatsoever on my 4090 FE card, I guess I was lucky. I've also tried an MSI Suprim X air-cooled 4090 and that one did have some coil whine, so I sent it back. Shame, because otherwise it was a nice card, with a metal shroud and extremely quiet fans. Still, am happy with the FE design.

What motherboard and power supply do you have on that system with the RTX 4090 FE and the 7950X CPU and 32GB RAM?

And are fans quiet and how far away from the case do you sit? And is the card connected directly to top PCIe slot or does it use a vertical mount adapter?

And when you say no whine that means no electrical buzz/hum like noise either correct and card sounds same under intense load as it does when idle except for fan noise. And what resolution and FPS and what games do you play?

Back
Top Bottom