• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Soldato
OP
So just a little update. I pushed the voltage up to 1.1 on msi afterburner and it roughly halfed the coil whine noise. Running 3d mark it was really noisey. Now I can just about here it.

Voltage was locked out on my MSI afterburner. I raised the power limit to 115% but it didn't make a difference apart from allowing a better overclock.

Soldato
OP
Regitered a account to join the party :)

Suprim X owner here and exact same coil whine in high load + ticking sound in low load

The fan noise is red icy loudly silent though

Trying to get bios update and undervolt to see if anything changes

Welcome aboard. United in a common cause! lol.

Let us know how you get on with the undervolt.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Small update. The Suprim X got refunded and I managed to track down an Inno3D. Most anaemic VRM of them all I think - but almost no coil whine. What's left may well be in my PSU rather than the card itself. Coil whine is basically the same as what I had with the 3080 Suprim X.

So if you're on the hunt for a card with no coil whine, looks like it's the Zotac / Inno3D / Palit trio you'll want. They all seem to have the same VRM with cheaper components that don't scream like a banshee!

How is the Fan Noise with the Inno3D?

Soldato
OP
where are you getting all these cards ;)... my new build has been built for silence spending silly money on fans alone. motherboard was buzzing at idle which is now sorted but only thing is this darn card. playing single player games without headphones is not enjoyable. can hear it over everything as my computer also sits on my desk next to me. I think im going to speak to OC tomorrow and see if they can test another suprim x and see if its got whine and if not see it if they will swap. Their customer service has been stella to me for other things...

Yeah just make sure where ever you buy it you return within your cool down period, while you have all the rights.

Might be interesting to see what my new one is like as well.

I'm the same with silence, I've got 9 BeQuiet Light Wing fans, a Dark Rock Pro on the CPU and its glorious.

Soldato
OP
So my replacement has been sent out (not received yet).

They tested my old card and the technician put "Faulty - Installed into an MSI X570 Motherboard, 5800X CPU and 2 x 8GB DDR4 RAM. Ran Cyberpunk in 4K RTX enabled, almost instantly heard the coil whine."

Soldato
OP
coil whine doesnt mean something is faulty though

It does to me if I can hear it over gameplay. Everyone's different but I wouldn't personally let a GPU manufacturer with a vested interest tell me what's faulty or not. Had a perfectly good 3080 from them, paying thousands for a worse experience isn't on IMO.

I had two PS5s that buzzed and then got one that was perfect. Its worth the extra hassle to get it sorted.

Soldato
OP
Suprim X ... but I spoke to soon. Tested a few games and it was fine, loaded up Uncharted and it was horrendous for some reason. I'm done with it now, returning it for a refund. I'd rather have a lesser card that doesn't make this kind of noise. I'll see what AMD offer on the 3rd and go from there.

Soldato
OP
Ahh man. I've just requested a return. Fed up. Paid £2140 for a card that I can't play single player games using my speakers.. got little children in the house so limited to volume alobg with not wearing a headset listebing to the newborn. I've reveived an email back stating they might not accept the return which I personally think is ridiculous.

Man that would suck when did you order it? You have two weeks to return anything don't you. I did mine today for my replacement, as the original was received exactly two weeks ago. Wasn't sure if the replacement extended the original two weeks or not but wasn't willing to take a chance. To be fair a competitior have been really good with me.

I'd rather have 30 less frames on Uncharted and be able to enjoy the silent moments.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't worry. It's either faulty and you can get a refund or its not and you can get a refund within your 14 days. I'm not sure if "restocking fees" apply to the latter option. Interesting I'll look at the Inno3D version.

Soldato
OP
Something going on with Uncharted 4? I remember having a 1080Ti that almost never had any coil whine... except on the main menu in Witcher 3, where it absolutely squealed.

Don't have Uncharted 4 myself (bought a 4090 this month, so not buying any games), so can't test it with my otherwise whine-free Inno3D.

I don't know tbh. With Dlss it reduced dramatically but then what's the point having to use that at this price point when native got me my maximum refresh rate (120fps). Apparently Inno3D are one of the best ones for not having coil whine due to different capacitors (same with Pallit and Zotec I believe).

Back
Top Bottom