• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Soldato
OP
Well its worth noting there's often times in games where there is no music. I can hear it from 2.5 meters away.

Maybe I am been too fussy IDK. I just know my 3080 Suprim was so much better in this regard.

Soldato
OP
It's hard to describe but if something in the room starts buzzing like that you can hear it quite a distance away. So when Uncharted starts instead of the menu music all you can hear is this buzz. Or in the quiet chapters where there's no background music and it's just ambient.

If I use DLSS even on quality it dissappears, but why spend so much money for that kind of compromise. I also spent loads creating a high performance, silent build. Aside from DLSS if I lower the power target to 50% that's when it dissapears.

Soldato
OP
Yeah that's it. The responses to my video are a great example how we all hear differently. I've had from "that's absolutely terrible" to "Its fine I can't hear anything".

It's a super hassle don't get me wrong, but for me been able to enjoy quiet scenes makes it all worth while in the end.

Soldato
OP
I'll have to quote myself on this..

Yes, the coil whine is barely there, but my ocd is kicking in, i paid 2.5k for a gpu... It should not be there at all! I have 5 days left to return it and my only option is the Gigabyte gaming OC. Should I try it? Or stick with the Asus TUF? What would you guys do?

I would and did return mine. It's too much money to have a lesser experience. Sounds like we either need to go Zotec, Inno3D or Pallit.

I'm waiting for Thursday now though just to see what AMD have.

Soldato
OP
maybe because they cant, all i can hear is a slight buzz thats only really noticable when he jams the phone up its arse

Well if that was the case it wouldn't be an issue but coil whine travels the room quite far. I am 2 and a half meters away and could hear it clearly. Don't forget phones also block out background noise. It was worse case scenario for gaming though, odd as Uncharted dosn't have ray tracing. I got full refund so will see my options after the AMD conference.

Soldato
OP
We have success!

Managed to get a 4090 FE in the 3 minutes they were available yesterday. Virtually no coil whine at all, certainly not from my viewing distance. Over the moon, as saved myself £400 quid as well.

Soldato
OP
Seems like we may need to update the title to include 4080's, DeBauers 4080 Strix has bad coil whine. Judging by the comments below it, it hasnt been smooth sailing for loads of people.

Soldato
OP
When I watched that earlier I couldn't help but think it would be the ideal card for you :cry: the crazy thing is you will probably need to pay near on £2000 to have the privilege of it sounding like that and performing considerably worse than a 4090 :rolleyes:

I got messaged it a few times lol. Well I had coil whine before it was cool!

My new card is spot on. Under certain heavy loads you can hear it but its so, so mild. It's about 25% of what the two Suprim's were like. 9 times out of 10 though its completely silent.

Soldato
OP
Mine does it but unless your comp is on your desk I doubt many people would notice it.

pretty much inaudible to me when the fans are running unless I put my head at the height of the card.

I'm convinced anyone with a 4090 who claims they have no coil whine is either deaf or never listened for it specifically.

more reviewers should make a fuss about it and maybe they wouldn't let it happen in future gens

Yeah its definitely something that needs to be addressed in the future. Its a real lottery, certain frequencies of coil whine are very noticeable/distracting. Having three units now in the same system and been susceptible to it, I can say with certainty there is a large variance between units/skus. I'm super happy with mine now, but boy was it a headache.

Soldato
OP
For me I found certain frequencies travelled the room really well so if I could hear it from close up, I could here it from 5 meters away. Give me fan noise any day lol.

For next gen I'll definitely wait for feedback because its too much hassle swapping units.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd say with my new one 90% of games totally silent. 10% the faintest noise that you'd have to mute the audio to hear. (RD2, Uncharted) DLSS at any quality setting in those select games kills it completely.

Soldato
OP
I had to go through 3 PlayStation 5s to find a silent one. One of them left a ringing in my ears after I turned it off. It definitely wasn't something I'd put up with. Series X was quiet first go, I've never heard of a Series X have coil whine, despite been more powerful than the PS5. As Kindai said, its definitely something that can be engineered out.

I'm 38 and don't feel like my hearing is amazing, but definitely find it annoying as hell, when I do get tech with it.

Soldato
OP
I ordered a third 4090 Suprim, thinking perhaps I'd be lucky or something would change. Turns out its just the same. As mentioned above Red Dead 2 and Uncharted tend to be the worst, especially at 4k Native.

Not sure which way to go now. The cheaper 4090s seem better. but who wants to pay all that money for a plastic shroud etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I read that capping frame rate helped but it didn't in my case and again it was a compromise because I have a 165 Hertz monitor. Why do I want to gimp my FPS?
I would happily try an FE but I'm not prepared to play the game trying to get one in stock. I think I might try the gainward phantom next because it just looks nice imo.

I was thinking the Phantom as well but its gone up +150 from last weeks sale price here, only 2 years warranty and there's a few people complaining about the fans on youtube.

Back
Top Bottom