• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Soldato
OP
Interesting, I wonder what it is. Such a shame though because on a lot of games the fans were so slow that I never heard them and silence is something I really aim for when I build a PC

I'm exactly the same. If the rest of the rig is quiet/silent its awful having one part that makes a noise. Mine is in a home cinema too with Atmos Surround.

The FE didn't have much whine at all but the fans were no where near as good. Can't win. Think I might try a PNY next.

Soldato
OP
Anecdotally, the whole of the gigabyte 4000 range.

If anyone here has a gigabyte card it would be good if you posted here about coil whine.

If I didn't care about looks I'd 100%, go for the Gigabyte. I just can't bring myself to spend so much on something that looks cheap IMO, or has flashing led rings. But they do seem to have nailed the acoustics.

Soldato
OP
There's definitely a link between components used and coil whine. You just need to look how many Inno and Gigabyte quiet cards there are compared to Strix and Suprim etc.

Bequiet says you can use a glue during the manifactur9ng stage to kill the noise. Look at how many Series Xs have coil whine compared to the PS5 equivalent etc.

Its not random odds across all devices, that's just not based on any evidence.

Soldato
OP
So I've had 3 4090 Suprims (all with coil whine, great fans). 1 FE that had small amount of coil whine, not so great fans (but certainly not bad).

I've decided to go with the PNY Epic X card now. I know the PCB isnt the best but overclocking isnt important to me (in fact undervolting is better). This seems to have the best combination of silent fans and no coil whine with a 450w power limit (again will help reduce any noise and heat). Toms Hardware got a 6% increase at only 2% extra power draw. It's also got 3 years warranty.

I'll report my findings tomorrow, but if it passes my seal of approval you know its good. OCUK have the best price on it at the moment at 1729. I'd also recommend the Gigabyte if I didn't not like the look of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I wonder how many go back to the manufacturer rather than the retailer take a small hit as a "B grade" item. Maybe it's cheaper to just deal with a small % of unhappy customers than to fix at manufacture.

Soldato
OP
To me that counts as oil whine or bad unwanted crappy noise if it is audible. I have had like every 4090 do that and it sounds like a chain saw. Some sound fainter than others, but it should be so faint you can barely if at all hear it even with good hearing and ti shoudl sound like a slight change oif pitch in dead air rather than a bees nest or buzz saw.

I hope all the ones who say they have no coil whine actually are not having this electrical buzz and claiming their card i whine free because that is misleading in research as that noise sucks too.

I think it's people having case fans that make noise partly throwing off results. Still if you've tried that many types might as well settle on one and power limit it tbh.

Soldato
OP
I have had enough. I don;t have the time anymore to keep posting it back and forth. I have 2 MSI suprims X's 4090, 2 Strix 4090's white editions, 4080 strix white edition and a zotac amp extreme 4090. The worst offenders by far are the strixs it is not even close. Although the 4080 had the least coil whine.

Yeah tell me about it. Which one if any are you going to settle on?

Soldato
OP
I’ve used 6 XTX, whilst they all had some coil whine it was less than the 4090s I’ve tried. I think the days of getting a high end GPU without coil whine no longer exist. Now it’s a case of how bad the inevitable whine will be.

That's enough for me then, if I'm going to accept some coil whine I probably won't be paying 4090 prices.

I really like the look of the Sapphire XTX nitro, just the Ray Tracing performance holding me back.

Back
Top Bottom