• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Soldato
OP
Well they said they would test the one they send me so nothing really to lose, apart from been without a high end GPU for a few days. They had ones set aside for RMA issues.

I do wish my hearing wasn't so sensitive in this instance . I played Bioshock Infinite/Elden Ring on it and it enhances the game so much when you can enjoy the quiet moment in games too, you don't always want music been thrown at you to hide things.

I paid a few grand for me Atmos Setup incl receiver, 170 for silent fans etc. It's a shame if one part let's me down. Not expecting complete silence under high work loads and I don't mind it when thr fans have to ramp up its just that buzzing that's super distracting.

Associate
Well they said they would test the one they send me so nothing really to lose, apart from been without a high end GPU for a few days. They had ones set aside for RMA issues.

I do wish my hearing wasn't so sensitive in this instance . I played Bioshock Infinite/Elden Ring on it and it enhances the game so much when you can enjoy the quiet moment in games too, you don't always want music been thrown at you to hide things.

I paid a few grand for me Atmos Setup incl receiver, 170 for silent fans etc. It's a shame if one part let's me down. Not expecting complete silence under high work loads and I don't mind it when thr fans have to ramp up its just that buzzing that's super distracting.
Well, 3rd PSU tried and it's still the same. On tomorrow's testing lol I have a Zotac extreme coming and the day after a line filter for dirty electricity.
If the Zotac does it and the filter does not help, then it's 100% GPU lottery and you could end up trying dozens of cards.

Soldato
OP
Interesting. Didn't think it would as that's the same PSU I use. I'll just give it one roll of the dice and then stick with what they send me as long as its not worse. Since there testing it first for me, it should be good.

If either of us get a good one, at least we know they do exist.

Associate
Interesting. Didn't think it would as that's the same PSU I use. I'll just give it one roll of the dice and then stick with what they send me as long as its not worse. Since there testing it first for me, it should be good.

If either of us get a good one, at least we know they do exist.
I can live with what I have as my case does a great job at hiding the sound, but I would rather know for sure that it is the card and not something else as this will happen again.

Soldato
The reason i went for the zotak was they have always been good for coil whine for me, i know its a bit gimped on the power limit but id rather lose a bit off the top than put up with it. I had about 6 3090's and the only one with no coil whine was the zotak.

Caporegime
I only tried mine at 144fps and it was whining, you probably won't hear it over your case fans anyway unless your case is on your desk at ear height

Associate
I have the Asus 4090 TUF OC and the coil whine is quite bad under gaming load, but i have noticed its at its worst in menu screens where in many games the frame rate tends to run away with itself. If i cap the frame rate at say 240, the coil whine is dampened enough so as to be less intrusive.

My case does have quite good sound dampening panels but they limit the airflow so i would rather put up with a bit of noise than reduce the airflow.

Associate
Zotac 4090 Trinity - Coil whine happens occasionally but only for about 30 seconds to a minute before it disappears.
However keeps coming back - In an hour of gaming will hear it about 4/5 times.

It is a noise, I am starting to live with so give it another week or so and won't even notice it.

Associate
In fairness, i haven't done an extensive amount of testing but I know in Destiny 2, the frame rate goes sky high in menus and thats when the whine is at its worst for me. Also, if i alt-tab out of Destiny 2 to my browser, the in game FPS counter drops to 30 and the whine goes away.

Conversely, in Cyberpunk if i hit Esc, the whine disappears whilst in the menu

Back
Top Bottom