• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Soldato
OP
Why does it matter as long as it is most quiet provides great performance and is reliable and plastic does not mean its going to break when mounted inside PC case. The heck with RGB and aesthesis. They mean nothing to me!!

Because if I'm paying +1000 for a card I expect premium materials, quiet operation and RGB that won't trigger peoples epilepsy lol. Don't get me wrong though Nvidia are just as much to blame as the partners reducing their potential margin to very, very little. Encourages cost cutting all over.

Soldato
OP
Does that mean in reality all of them have it, just its the level of it that is different and ones that claim they do not have high enough speed fan to drown out noise or insanely insulated case combined with a card that has minimal faint whine or their hearing is not able to hear it or they do not count electrical buzzing noise as whine and think all electronic devices do it and only count the squeal as whine which is misleading as electrical buzz is most certainly a type of whine as it is from the4 coil/capacitors/indictors power being pushed through and not from the fans.

I'd say that the main two factors are white noise in peoples rooms, the noise of their pc already and their ability to hear low level noise. No one that is sensitive to it has reported a completely silent card, with potentially the exception being the basic entry level Inno X3 4090 that has been discontinued.

Soldato
OP
I expect quiet coil whien free operation, quiet fans and durable VRM and long lasting PCB and grat performance. Not concerned if they use plastic or what material as long as it is safe.

Its not like furniture or a car where you are going to use it and it gets where and tear. Only wear and tear is the PCB and silicon and RAM chips and mosfets. Plastic gets no wear and tear as it sits.

It its in a closed PC case I get that, for many of us with "show case" PC's its the center piece.

Soldato
OP
That the ironic thing though. The cards that have the loudest whine i.e Strix and Suprims are using more premium components as it allows more current than cheapy cards. But the stupid thing there is this resin/glue that is used for damping components that are coil whine prone. I mean as you guys know if you hold a strix or suprims it exudes build quality and what not so that they have not skimped on for sure but damn how expensive is some coil whine glue? Bet you in the whole scheme of things it cost so little but would be priceless to end users.

I cannot bring myself to get the gigabyte OC it has more plastic than my little pony

Yeah so in summary
Suprim and Strix = Loud Coil Whine
FE = Poor fans (compared to the best)
Gigabyte = Looks like crap.
Zotac = **** fans
Palit, PNY, Gainward = Cut down PCB.

Yeah this is definitely a poor generation outside of performance.

Soldato
OP
Was talking to someone on reddit who had a 4090 FE with no coil whine but was paired with a psu im currently using which has coil whine. He said since he changed from a 3090 FE to 4090 FE the coil whine went away, using the same Asus Loki PSU as me.

I can confirm the FE has little coil whine... possibly because its in a metal case itself? But the fans aren't the best. Arguably the best of a bad situation.

Soldato
OP
People generally said the PNY was quiet "not a peep" etc. That had low power stages, cut down PCB etc. It made a buzzing and had poor fans.

I think the thing also is when people say is is totally quiet are they playing at 4k with no dlss? Because if there not all mine have been near enough silent, outside of those conditions.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
See everyone says the gigabytes have no coil whine yet you've had three with them? Think it just goes to show some are more sensitive than others, or their pcs are already loud.

I'm resigned to the fact my next and final 4090 will have coil whine unfortunately. Just going to go with the one that fits my build best.

Soldato
OP
Heck yes. I hate coil whine and want a smooth sounding silent card. I would easily pay an extra couple hundred. Heck I would pay $1000 more. I want this to end and want a 4090 4K setup with like no whine. I have been ongoing this for 3 months now and sick of it and debating between just dealing with more audible whine than I want or going back to 3090 Ti.

Yeah the solution would be +25 quid in parts max the rest extra customer service/testing it would involve.

Is a 4080 or 7900xtx an option perhaps?

Soldato
OP
I found with Power limiting it it had not much of an effect at all performance wise on normal rasterisation but did have a big effect on ray tracing games.

There's also the possibility that coil whine will reduce in time. This seems to be fairly prevailing on Asus cards this gen.

If you absolutely can't stand it in any way going back to a 3090ti might be better option for now. If you can put up with a mild amount knowing it may reduce in time then I'd choose the 4090 you've had the best experience with (I can recommend the 4090 fe for low coil whine, just not as good fans).

I think either way you'll be happy when you've made up your mind either way, if you feel anything like me at this point lol. If you do stick with a 4090 just stick with a cheaper one knowing higher end won't mean less whine IMO.

I'm leaning towards a trio next. Just because I expect same amount of whine as a Suprim but 100 quid less, compatible with singal rgb and matches my case better (and those msi fans are magic).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I had two 3080 Suprims completely silent and one 3080 strix noisy in everything last gen. I'd have thought your sealed case would have made it even less. If you power limited the Gigabyte did it still need to go down to 40% for it to disappear?

Of course the other option is moving your pc out the room your playing in, but I don't like that idea lol.

Soldato
OP
Which card did you find the quietest? I wouldn't bother with MSI cards. I mean they have the best fans by far, but I had 4 Suprims all with around the same coul whine.

Soldato
OP
So had 30 mins to play around with the Gigabyte. It actually does look good in person, box is less premium if that matters. Coil whine? Yes its there but half what the MSI Suprims all were (and I believe that's the case for all Gigabytes judging from feedback), which is good enough for me. Added with the extra year warranty and £150 saving I'm happy.

One thing I have to check first though is the fans as they appeared to be all over the place from silent, to really loud all in a minute loading screen. I think I've read that its a fixable problem and maybe a conflict with Afterburner. As long as I can set and keep and custom fan curve I'll be keeping this one.

Edit; But overclocking coil whine was loud AF. I'll investigate fully tonight and make a decision..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok so had a play around. Coul whine is less, the fans are still a bit all over the place so I'm not going to keep it.

I think the main take away from this now is for people with silent pcs and can hear coil whine, there is no 4090 without it. If you want a 4090 you are accepting one with that noise.

Knowing your not missing out by been "unlucky" helps a lot IMO. Just choose the card you like the look of the best, better warranty, better fans etc.

For me personally I'll be getting a 8th and final MSI card. The fans are just too good. I accept mild coil whine under heavy loads now. Hopefully next gen they will "fix" it.

Soldato
OP
I personally believe there are no ones with no whine. Just some worse than others. People sword blind PNY had none... it did. People swore blind the Gigabyte had none.. it did.

There's a number of factors someone may believe there card is silent when it is not. Are they playing at native 4k? (DLSS takes it away) Have they got another component making noise masking it? (I.e case fan). Is there white noise in the room there playing in? Are they capable of hearing low frequency noise etc etc.

I could keep the Gigabyte but even in afterburner apparently it doesn't like been set between 1%>55% anything between there creates a loud ramp up. You can alternatively turn odd RGB to sort it apparently (maybe something to do with the RGB illumination who knows).

I just know with MSI all but the most intense workloads are completely silent and the intense work loads its dissapears when music is playing. So really it's only quiet scenes in high intensity work loads where you have a slightly lesser experience.

Soldato
OP
I've just ordered a 4090 suprim X and the talk of coil whine is worrying.

I know coil whine can appear on any card, especially at high frame rates but there seems to be more talk of the suprim X having it a lot.

Still, the 3090 strix oc I had previously had coil whine and a fan rattle at certain rpms!

I've had 4 Suprims. 100% guaranteed coil whine in native 4k workloads. But its not terrible as that noise goes. The fans are amazing on it.

Back
Top Bottom