• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Soldato
OP
Well I think I've got a newer model Suprim because it has no coil whine at all!

The outer box was also in a MSI box, where's all 4 of the others weren't.

So happy finally, best fans, best build quality and PCB and virtually silent. I only say virtually because I bet if I put my head right to it there will be something. Second best was the Gigabyte but this leaves it in the dust. Any way to find the manufacturing date?

Associate
I returned Gaming OC Gigabyte 4090 and now got a Gigabyte 4090 Windforce on the way.

Hoping whine is much less.

They all have some VRMs, but difering number of inductors.

Windforce has the least amount of inductors, so hoping less inductors means less whine.

I have heard Master is worse for whine than Gaming OC and it has more inductors so maybe same applies here.

Where as Tuf and Strix use different VRMs and even though Tuf has less inductors than Strix, it seems to have reports of much worse whine though they both have reports of it bad but Tuf is worse usually on the 4090s
It really does seem like a lottery. After browsing various forums the Gaming OC seemed to be the one least likely to get coil whine, and was what I was going to get until I saw the FEs come up.

Associate

So happy finally, best fans, best build quality and PCB and virtually silent. I only say virtually because I bet if I put my head right to it there will be something. Second best was the Gigabyte but this leaves it in the dust. Any way to find the manufacturing date?

Well how loud are your case fans? Are they quiet? If sound is off and you loud a game like GTA V or RDR2 or Cyberpunk with 4K with settings maxed out and sitting within a few feet of case, is it silent and sounds no different in gameplay then at idle?

And is room quiet?

Every 4090 I have tried has at least a somewhat faint, but not faint enough but yet annoying background of like a grinding noise which I count as coil whine when running RDR2 or GTA V or more inconsistent with TImespy no matter the FPS at stock.
And if I open panel, it is a harsher end of modest to harsh buzzing sound when card under load. Its like the buzzing is drowned out enough to emit a grinding/rattling/chainsaw noise in closed sound dampened case that is annoying and not faint enough.

It should be with side panel open buzz is pretty faint and low, not harsh and that way it would sound more like faint change in pitch of dead air or mild ringing in your ear type noise which is nothing kind of like my Giga Gaming OC 3090 Ti sounded which weas very tame coil whine. I gate grinding/bees nest/chainsaw noise like sound even if it is in background its too harsh and annoying.

What kind of motherboard and power supply and is it connected to UPS and on a dedicated 15 amp circuit?

Associate
It really does seem like a lottery. After browsing various forums the Gaming OC seemed to be the one least likely to get coil whine, and was what I was going to get until I saw the FEs come up.

Well I tried a lot of Gaming OCs and they all had too much whine, though to be fair thy were the best of the bunch compared to other 4090s which were a bit worse including PNYs and Zotac had horrible fan but probably same whine/buzz. Asus Strix was the worst and a harsh buzz, though not as bad change of pitch in movements of game like some horror stories suggest, but none the less was beyond unacceptable.

Though they all so far have had unacceptable levels of whine/buzz especially when my Giga Gaming OC 3090 Ti had much less and TDP of 3090 Ti and 4090 is both 450 watts.

Soldato
OP
Well how loud are your case fans? 750rpm Are they quiet? Silent If sound is off and you loud a game like GTA V or RDR2 or Cyberpunk with 4K with settings maxed out and sitting within a few feet of case, is it silent and sounds no different in gameplay then at idle? Very, very faintest noise close enough to nothing, Gigabyte was half of the other Suprims, this is a quarter or less of that.

And is room quiet? Very, I hate buzzing etc

Every 4090 I have tried has at least a somewhat faint, but not faint enough but yet annoying background of like a grinding noise which I count as coil whine when running RDR2 or GTA V or more inconsistent with TImespy no matter the FPS at stock.
And if I open panel, it is a harsher end of modest to harsh buzzing sound when card under load. Its like the buzzing is drowned out enough to emit a grinding/rattling/chainsaw noise in closed sound dampened case that is annoying and not faint enough.

It should be with side panel open buzz is pretty faint and low, not harsh and that way it would sound more like faint change in pitch of dead air or mild ringing in your ear type noise which is nothing kind of like my Giga Gaming OC 3090 Ti sounded which weas very tame coil whine. I gate grinding/bees nest/chainsaw noise like sound even if it is in background its too harsh and annoying.

What kind of motherboard B650 Rog Strix E-E and power supply 1200 BeQuiet Straight Power and is it connected to UPS No and on a dedicated 15 amp circuit?

Last edited:
Associate
@Hostile_18

So you saying we all just had to accept coil whine and all 4090s had it it was just varying levels and the Gigabyte Gaming OC and PNY when many said they do not have it, you found they did but not near as bad but more than a quiet gemk from other generation video cards.

Now you have a Suprim X and you sure under full load on gaming, has only 1/4 of whine that Giga and PNY have or 1/4 that original bad whining Suprim X had? And the Gigabytes had half of whine that older Suprim X that was lots of whine? How many Gigabytes did you try and how many PNY cards and what type of each?

And are you in the UK or United States?

And which shop did you get this MSI Suprim 4090 from that is the most silent?

Last edited:
Associate
Would it be useful for people to include their age (if comfortable doing so) when reporting whether or not they have coil whine with their cards? For example, you experiencing bad coil whine with Model X, but the same card sounding quiet to me could be explained by you being in your 20s and my being in my late 40s!

Associate
Would it be useful for people to include their age (if comfortable doing so) when reporting whether or not they have coil whine with their cards? For example, you experiencing bad coil whine with Model X, but the same card sounding quiet to me could be explained by you being in your 20s and my being in my late 40s!
Haha. Could be worthwhile. I'm nearly 40, have tinnitus, but tend to be more sensitive to noise than those around me, young or old. Worth making the point that it's all very subjective though.

Associate

Stories like this almost make it worse :(
Knowing that it IS possible to hit the proverbial coil-whineless 'jack-pot'.

I just wouldnt have the patenice / willpower to send back 4+ GPUs. By the 3rd one Id just have lost all interest and excitment for getting the new GPU in the first place.

I commend your efforts, but wish they where not necessary!!

Soldato
a lot of it has to do with gpu and psu combo though as well. For instance my 3090 Palit gaminpro paired with a Corsair SF750 had no coil whine but when paired with a Asus Loki 850w, tons of coil whine!

Im starting to wonder whether its worth buying multiple gpu and psu's to test different combo's and see which gives the best results of limiting coil whine.

Only problem is money lol.

Soldato
OP
Stories like this almost make it worse :(
Knowing that it IS possible to hit the proverbial coil-whineless 'jack-pot'.

I just wouldnt have the patenice / willpower to send back 4+ GPUs. By the 3rd one Id just have lost all interest and excitment for getting the new GPU in the first place.

I commend your efforts, but wish they where not necessary!!

If it makes you feel better I have been able to make it whine, but it's about a half of the Gigabyte which was already quieter than the first 4 Suprims.

Only way I'd hear it under heavy workloads is to mute everything and really listen for it, which would be silly in normal use.

Associate
If it makes you feel better I have been able to make it whine, but it's about a half of the Gigabyte which was already quieter than the first 4 Suprims.

Only way I'd hear it under heavy workloads is to mute everything and really listen for it, which would be silly in normal use.

What store did you get that MSI Suprim X from that is the best on whine and how many Gigabyte ones did you try that you say this good sample has only half the whine of?

Soldato
OP
What store did you get that MSI Suprim X from that is the best on whine and how many Gigabyte ones did you try that you say this good sample has only half the whine of?

Cant say the store on here. They have since discontinued 4090 MSI cards completely (as of yesterday).

Only 1 gigabyte that was half the previous 4 suprims. This is half the Gigabyte IMO. I'm really happy with it

Last edited:
Associate
Cant say the store on here. They have since discontinued 4090 MSI cards completely (as of yesterday).

Only 1 gigabyte that was half the previous 4 suprims. This is half the Gigabyte IMO. I'm really happy with it

Which Gigabyte card did you try? Was it Gaming OC? I just tried Windforce and almost no different in whine than Gaming OC, maybe slightly worse though very close. And it heats up faster and the fans on it have a slight bad motor hum in comparison to the Gaming OC though Windforce not near as bad as Zotac fans but whine probably slightly worse. But Windforce has a bad fan clicking when they move every like 5 to 10 seconds. So going back. Disgusted with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just a gaming one not the OC version. The fans weren't the best on that. Not terrible but kept revving up all the time.

I'd try and get a recent Suprim. But bear the very best ones still do make a tiny bit of noise under the most intense work loads. It's just that this recent one is tiny compared to all other cards I tried. So much better than first 4 Suprims I'd be very suprised if it wasn't a silent revision.

Can anyone remember where the serial number is located on the Suprim. My new one it's on the furthest left, pretty sure on first four it was near the plug? I may be mistaken.

Associate
Just a gaming one not the OC version. The fans weren't the best on that. Not terrible but kept revving up all the time.

I'd try and get a recent Suprim. But bear the very best ones still do make a tiny bit of noise under the most intense work loads. It's just that this recent one is tiny compared to all other cards I tried. So much better than first 4 Suprims I'd be very suprised if it wasn't a silent revision.

Can anyone remember where the serial number is located on the Suprim. My new one it's on the furthest left, pretty sure on first four it was near the plug? I may be mistaken.

I just ordered a 4090 Gigabyte Aorus Matser from NewEgg. I am hoping this will finally be a quiet card. There were no Suprim cards in stock for MSRP and who knows if the markup was recent ones or new unopened ones sitting in stock for a month or longer that may be screamers.

Back
Top Bottom