• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Caporegime
I exchanged my Suprim X as it had a rattling sound from the shroud.

PLease to report that the replacement has far less coil whine, it's definitely there but I need to go up to the pc case to hear it, whereas my previous one was audible from 2 metres away.

My only annoyance with the MSi card in general is the turbulence sound from the fans/air/heatsink, it's a really annoying ryhtmic sound.
Yes my Suprim X does that. Set the fan speed to about 55-58% and you’ll hear this weird metal vibrating sound and unless you ramp the fan speed higher it’ll keep doing it. @Hostile_18 checked and his Suprim X did the same too. If you ramp to 100% fan speed on the Suprim X you’ll hear it for a few seconds, once it passes 60% fan speed or so it stops.

It seems like all the 4090s have some sort of issue, be it rattling fans (Zotac), this issue (Suprim X), fan humming at low speeds (Palit), or coil whine (all of them), high temps (Gigabyte/Inno3d).

Last edited:
Associate
My 4090 Suprim X does have coil whine but it's only noticeable at very high frame rates. I've been playing divinity original sin 2 capped at 144 fps and I can't hear anything over my case fans. The card is otherwise a beast with excellent fans/cooling.

Soldato
OP
Just tried the super glue method on a PNY GeForce RTX 4090 card using the guide here: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...ix-coil-whine-coil-choke-noise.294015/page-12

Only did the ones in red.

Sadly no difference. Still same old chainsaw/buzzing coil whine like noise:mad::mad::mad:

And undertvolting and even setting power limit to 50% does nothing.

At least the Gigabyte Gaming OC responded a bit to be quieter to undervolt and was almost silent at 50% power limit even though clock speed tanked to 1300MHz. And was definitely much better undervolted with 2300MHZ clock speed.

PNY card it tanks and still has the chainsaw noise coil whine anyways with like almost 0 improvement

You have balls of steel to super glue such an expensive card lol. Did you try the areas in red on the pic?

Caporegime
image.png

Associate
Most reviews praise it as being virtually inaudible, is that not the case?

I admit I’m pickier than most, but neither of the two I’ve had have been inaudible.

From about 40% fan speed I can hear the turbulence noise.

I had a 3090 strix oc before this card and that was noisy too, with a rattle sound at certain rpm.

Generally I can live with noise as I work around it, e.g at low temps fan rpm is really low, and during gaming the audio drowns out any coil whine, fan noise etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Gaming (non OC). Though, considering the only difference between those two is 15 MHz on the clock may as all class as the same card.

Never heard of the vision one

Is there even a Gigabyte Gaming non-OC??

Is that it,

Even that has the N4090GAMING OC-24GD model name which is exact same as OC model and it has OC in the model name.

I want the Gaming OC now to try Super Glue method on as it did not work after 2 tries with 2 PNY cards. Plus the chokes are farther spaced apart which should make it easier. Never tried non-=OC Gaming if it even exists and wonder if it is worse binned and high temps do raise alarm especially with the fact I want to do a fan curve to lower speed and keep it quiet.

Associate
Haha I'm 38 so still good lol. I am sensitive to coil whine so I know it all to well. At least old age has one perk though!

I am 38 too and will be 39 in less than 3 weeks and can hear it fine on every 4090 I have tried sadly. I expect a quiet 4090 card inaudible in a closed chassis within 3-8 feet from it with sound turned off in a quiet room when card is in full gaming load of 300 to 450 watts at sub 200 FPS. Certainly at least as quiet as my 3090 Ti Gaming OC was in such cases where it was practically inaudible in such case.

Soldato

Is that it,

Even that has the N4090GAMING OC-24GD model name which is exact same as OC model and it has OC in the model name.

I want the Gaming OC now to try Super Glue method on as it did not work after 2 tries with 2 PNY cards. Plus the chokes are farther spaced apart which should make it easier. Never tried non-=OC Gaming if it even exists and wonder if it is worse binned and high temps do raise alarm especially with the fact I want to do a fan curve to lower speed and keep it quiet.

Yes.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes.

Is that one on NewEgg actually the regular Gaming or Gaming OC. Model number says Gaming OC on NewEgg, but product description says just Gaming.

And if I google Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4090, every result that comes up for reviews is the Gaming OC making me think the Gaming non-OC is rare or not found very many places??

Soldato
OP

Is that it,

What are you doing with the two glued PNY cards?

I'd just forget it now, dont waste a 3rd card. Either get a 4090 with low noise or a different one completely. It's just not worth the stress or financial loss.

Hell if anything use the money to move the PC out the room? :)

Associate

I'd just forget it now, dont waste a 3rd card. Either get a 4090 with low noise or a different one completely. It's just not worth the stress or financial loss.

lol yeah cheaper to buy a lot of extension cables and put them in the walls and the pc in another room than **** about buying card after card forever

Soldato
Is that one on NewEgg actually the regular Gaming or Gaming OC. Model number says Gaming OC on NewEgg, but product description says just Gaming.

And if I google Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4090, every result that comes up for reviews is the Gaming OC making me think the Gaming non-OC is rare or not found very many places??

The Newegg on is the gaming OC. The MPN matches GV-N4090GAMING OC-24GD

The other one has an MPN of GV-N4090GAMING-24GD

Reviews were all for the OC which I guess makes sense being the faster of the two but as said, the only difference is 15 megahertz on the clock. Actually pointless having two SKUS

Associate

I like my PC next to me. Just the way I am. I do not want it moved.

Just the whine/buzz was not eliminated nor tamed at all, but rather the same.

And where can I get q quiet 4090. No one is selling them. I mean the manufactures should be embarrassed they do not sell quiet almost whine free cards for a premium. There is a market for them yet they will not bin them and sell them for a premium. Makes me angry. If there is a market for a better binned 13900K that clocks higher or same with lower temps and vcore, there is a big market of high performance silence PCs that are water cooled with big radiators on outside and big low speed fans. The fact they allow coil whine is a shame with no option.

Oh and there is a lottery and rare almost no whine/buzz unicorn cards. Well hard to find one and no one is selling them 2nd hand without whine. I have asked around and no one has any they are willing to sell.

I so badly want one and am not giving up yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like my PC next to me. Just the way I am. I do not want it moved.

I am selling the 2 glued PNY cards as they still work perfect as super glue damages nothing. Just the whine/buzz was not eliminated nor tamed at all, but rather the same.

And where can I get q quiet 4090. No one is selling them. I mean the manufactures should be embarrassed they do not sell quiet almost whine free cards for a premium. There is a market for them yet they will not bin them and sell them for a premium. Makes me angry. If there is a market for a better binned 13900K that clocks higher or same with lower temps and vcore, there is a big market of high performance silence PCs that are water cooled with big radiators on outside and big low speed fans. The fact they allow coil whine is a shame with no option.

Oh and there is a lottery and rare almost no whine/buzz unicorn cards. Well hard to find one and no one is selling them 2nd hand without whine. I have asked around and no one has any they are willing to sell.

Out of curiosity, do you declare in your sales that you've opened it up and put glue on?

Associate
Now I think I most likely will give up on Super Glue method and just try and find a 2nd hands card that I can test and is whine free like Hostile18 got lucky on Suprim X. Or buy and return a bunch from different stores spread out. I so badly want a whine free card and this is frankly stupid that the vendors cannot fix these problems and tell us its acceptable when it is no where near!!

With further research it seems Superglue method is iffy at best and does nothing to stop the coil whine 4000 series has. Though it does not hurt the card at all, it seems to make almost 0 difference regarding coil whine.

After looking at Brothanumsie results in this thread with same inductors on 6950XT Red Devil Liquid as those on Gaming OC and they are spaced enough apart to apply supr glue easily, it did not work for them.

Plus lexluthermiester stated while they have had success in a PM, they only completely silenced Galax 4090 and Palit and Zotac still had some noise but was softer and blended into case fans. Well both Palit and especially Zotac have loud GPU fans so wonder if those were insanely noisy samples that were somewhat to moderately quieter, but still had too much whine and of course the bad loud fans drowned it out.

From my experience there is no good RTX 4090 in terms of whine I have had at stock. Some less bad than others. Gigabyte Gaming OC is not good, but it is good compared to others overall. SO in reality most are just less bad than others and that is why people say it is good. Its a shame.

Hostile18 I need the unicorn you got, but afraid to try too many Suprim X as most are very loud whine before I get flagged for too many returns somewhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom