• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 or 7900XTX

Associate
Hi guys,

I've just built a new system which is AMD 7700X and 32Gigs of RAM and now I'm looking for a new graphics card. I was initially looking at the 7900XTX nitro at £1130 as was tempted by the speed, value and the VRAM is definitely a factor too. However, I see that I could get a 4080 for a comparable price. This seems to be faster at Ray Tracing, has DLSS3, but less RAM. I'm not bothered about the AMD vs NVIDIA stuff. I just want to get the best GPU for my system. I currently play at 1440, but am moving up to 4K. So, I'm looking for any help and advice. What are your opinions?

Hi guys,

I've just built a new system which is AMD 7700X and 32Gigs of RAM and now I'm looking for a new graphics card. I was initially looking at the 7900XTX nitro at £1130 as was tempted by the speed, value and the VRAM is definitely a factor too. However, I see that I could get a 4080 for a comparable price. This seems to be faster at Ray Tracing, has DLSS3, but less RAM. I'm not bothered about the AMD vs NVIDIA stuff. I just want to get the best GPU for my system. I currently play at 1440, but am moving up to 4K. So, I'm looking for any help and advice. What are your opinions?

What games do you play, also do you value ray tracing

What games do you play, also do you value ray tracing
I play pretty much anything to be fair. My main games recently have been XCOM, Control, Resident Evil and Cyberpunk. I guess I look at Ray tracing as nice to have and looks good when implemented properly but not necessarily a deal breaker. I guess one of my main concerns is the whole RAM debate. That's what initially made me look at the 7900XTX. Seeing that the two cards are on par price wise is making this decision less clear cut at the moment.

I've also just looked at a few reviews of the Palit GeForce RTX 4080 GameRock OC and I'm definitely interested in that. Anyone got one of these? Any thoughts. Also as additional question. Should I use HDMI or Displayport? Thanks for all the answers and opinions given so far! Much appreciated!

I've also just looked at a few reviews of the Palit GeForce RTX 4080 GameRock OC and I'm definitely interested in that. Anyone got one of these? Any thoughts. Also as additional question. Should I use HDMI or Displayport? Thanks for all the answers and opinions given so far! Much appreciated!
Yup that's the model I had briefly, v v nice card just make sure it'll fit in your case!! Displayport is usually better to use imo but either should be fine.

This generation is poor value all round. However,if you have to buy a new higher end card,why not an RX7900XT 20GB? It can be had for under £800. The RX7000 series also support DisplayPort 2.1 unlike the RTX4000 series which is limited to DisplayPort 1.4a.

Once you start spending £1100~£1200 on an RTX4080,you can get a RTX4090 for a few £100 more:

The RTX4080 really seems like a way to upsell the RTX4090 IMHO!

Also,DLSS3 is locked only to the RTX4000 series,and there is nothing to stop DLSS4 being locked to the RTX5000 series. Many here upgrade every generation,so it isn't a bother for them.

Always tricky lol. Just upgraded after 12 years from a 2011 socket with 16 Gigs of RAM and a 2080 super!

Honestly I would just keep that dGPU you have now.

Both Nvidia and AMD have just come off from the mining/pandemic dGPU boom. They both have lots of unsold mining inventory so are trying to shift it at RRP,so are pricing the new generation high on purpose. Nvidia for example has over $5 billion in unsold inventories and over 200 days of inventory. AMD probably is also in a similar boat too.

This is the same which happened with Turing and the Super range was released after Pascal stock was finished,and sales needed to pick up again.

There is enough room in the Nvidia stack for Super refreshes. For example there is no RTX4080TI/RTX4080 Super based on the AD102,but a large gap between the RTX4080 and RTX4090. The current RTX4080 based on the AD103,so could easily have an RTX4070 Super made from it,etc.

Last edited:
This generation is poor value all round. However,if you have to buy a new higher end card,why not an RX7900XT 20GB? It can be had for under £800. The RX7000 series also support DisplayPort 2.1 unlike the RTX4000 series which is limited to DisplayPort 1.4a.

Once you start spending £1100~£1200 on an RTX4080,you can get a RTX4090 for a few £100 more:

The RTX4080 really seems like a way to upsell the RTX4090 IMHO!

Also,DLSS3 is locked only to the RTX4000 series,and there is nothing to stop DLSS4 being locked to the RTX5000 series. Many here upgrade every generation,so it isn't a bother for them.

Honestly I would just keep that dGPU you have now.

Both Nvidia and AMD have just come off from the mining/pandemic dGPU boom. They both have lots of unsold mining inventory so are trying to shift it at RRP,so are pricing the new generation high on purpose. Nvidia for example has over $5 billion in unsold inventories and over 200 days of inventory. AMD probably is also in a similar boat too.

This is the same which happened with Turing and the Super range was released after Pascal stock was finished,and sales needed to pick up again.

There is enough room in the Nvidia stack for Super refreshes. For example there is no RTX4080TI/RTX4080 Super based on the AD102,but a large gap between the RTX4080 and RTX4090. The current RTX4080 based on the AD103,so could easily have an RTX4070 Super made from it,etc.
Stop tempting me with the 4090 lol!

There's no reason to buy an AMD GPU in 2023, least of all RDNA 3. Best case scenario for 7900 XTX is it being 20% faster in a Call of Duty game, but then 4080 has scenarios where it is more than 5 TIMES faster than it. 16 GB is also more than enough for whatever you want to play with the card, at least for this console generation of games. There's just no contest anymore.

**Do Not Hotlink images**

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no reason to buy an AMD GPU in 2023
So not even for COD6 or FC6,where AMD outperforms Nvidia cards? Or are you suggesting people to buy an RTX3050 over a cheaper RX6600 or an RTX3060 over an RX6700XT,or even an RTX3060TI over an RX6800? All based on one game,which Nvidia sponsored.

Are you trying hard to win this competition:

As part of the today’s introduction of the GeForce RTX 4060 series, NVIDIA announced it will give away hundreds of graphics cards to gamers and influencers during its ‘Summer of RTX’ campaign.

How to enter:

1. Follow NVIDIA social channels for key prompts and instructions
  2. Like/comment/tag/share posts across social
  3. Use #RTXOn (or any hashtag that is prompted) across any post throughout summer
  4. Be on the lookout for your favorite streamers to join in on the celebration
NVIDIA GeForce Summer of RTX 2023 Sweepstakes (for gamers)

• (x2) GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition ($1599 MSRP)
  • (x2) GeForce RTX 4080 Founders Edition ($1199 MSRP)
  • (x1) GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Founders Edition ($399 MSRP)
  • (x164) GeForce RTX 4060 (Manufacturer varies) ($299 MSRP)
  • (x3) Custom GPU Backplate (Style Varies) with a RTX 4090 Founders Edition GPU ($1,789 MSRP)
  • (x2) G-SYNC Displays (ASUS 1440p 360 Hz G-SYNC with Reflex displays) ($1,049 MSRP)
  • (x1) GeForce RTX Garage 4090 Build ($7,500 MSRP)

Make sure you get your entry in! :cry:

@bluesouljah Frame generation also adds latency,so you want above 60FPS before you add it.

Last edited:
Stop tempting me with the 4090 lol!

The 4090 is a good shout though, especially if you don't upgrade for years and years. It's expensive, but in today's world of mad prices, it's actually the card that makes the most sense. If I was spending over £1000 on a GPU, I would just go all out and buy the 4090.

If you are set on choosing between the 7900XTX and the 4080. It really is a wash for the most part. If you mainly play popular titles on a single screen then the 7900XTX will be fine. However, if you use multi monitor setups, VR or like the idea of Ray Tracing, then the 4080 is the way to go.

For most raster games, there will be very little difference between the two cards. There will be some games that will perform better on the 7900XTX, some will perform better on the 4080.

I have no interest in the AMD vs Nvidia nonsense either. If both cards are available at the same price, I would get the 4080. As JediFragger said above, It's just a better all around package.

The 4080 is more power efficient, if that makes any difference to you.

Back
Top Bottom