• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 or 7900XTX

It allowed me Sunday Delivery so I took that. I asumed tomorrow, so called and they were closed. The status is still received, not had any emails. Dunno, Just guessed having the option to pay Sunday delivery meant tomoorow. If its not possible, it shouldn't be an option on a Saturday, guess that's my feedback. Anyway, it's not a cutomer service thread. Just a bit disapointed.
its more likely its available every other sunday of the year just not bank holidays and the system doesnt have bank holiday dates removed from order days

So most people seem to suggest 4080 over the xtx.

I bought a xtx from OCUK and can see a 4080 is the same price. So the concensus would be to switch it?

Vs

Last edited:
So most people seem to suggest 4080 over the xtx.

I bought a xtx from OCUK and can see a 4080 is the same price. So the concensus would be to switch it?

Vs

Never mind, I switched to the 4090 as well

Given how bad RDNA 2 has aged with RT (which whether people like it or not, is a thing now and for the future), I'm not so sure about that tbh :p RDNA 3 is also pretty damn poor for the "future" especially if/when path tracing becomes a thing:

You are correct. It is indeed a thing of the future. IE, it will be another 10-15 years before any GPU can do it wholly and do it properly. As such it is not worth spending a dime on yet. The only way you can even do it on a 4090 right now is by cheating and not doing any of it properly. DLSS, frame gen, ETC. Because the moment you remove the hacks? 20 FPS for you.

And Nvidia know this. And they knew it when they convinced people like you to vouch for it, because they also knew how long it would take before they finally make the 1080Ti equivalent of an RT card that can do it all at a decent resolution and do it properly. Meaning all of the time between those cards? people will keep coming back for more. And that means more money and more sales.

Please figure all of that out before you vouch for RT again in the future.

You are correct. It is indeed a thing of the future. IE, it will be another 10-15 years before any GPU can do it wholly and do it properly. As such it is not worth spending a dime on yet. The only way you can even do it on a 4090 right now is by cheating and not doing any of it properly. DLSS, frame gen, ETC. Because the moment you remove the hacks? 20 FPS for you.

And Nvidia know this. And they knew it when they convinced people like you to vouch for it, because they also knew how long it would take before they finally make the 1080Ti equivalent of an RT card that can do it all at a decent resolution and do it properly. Meaning all of the time between those cards? people will keep coming back for more. And that means more money and more sales.

Please figure all of that out before you vouch for RT again in the future.

I've been having no issues for the past 2-3 years with RT, including path tracing titles like portal, cp 2077 etc. Again on dlss, why does it matter if it is producing as good or better than native as proven by various sites now? Have you got some evidence to debunk all of these tech sites? If so, love to see it.

If you refuse to use such tech. well that is on you, it isn't going anywhere now because without it, we would be waiting on such visual enhancements for at least another 5-10 years..... If you're happy to wait 10+ years before enabling RT and reduce your graphical settings to get a lesser experience compared to likes of myself, be my guest, I'll enjoy the better visuals with decent performance as of now and as I have been doing for the past 3 years.

I agree though, I wouldn't spend 4090 like money when it hardly breaks a sweat with the current RT/raster hybrids and we don't have enough path tracing titles out yet, come the time when my hardware really struggles or/and there are more path tracing titles, I'll happily get a 4090 or whatever gpu is out come that time, I've done my time of waiting around and having principles/morals, I want a good experience and to get to use new tech now, plenty of raster and 2d games out there for you to enjoy until you get your 1080ti rt gpu though :cry:

Or in other words? buy a GPU based on Raster, until the day comes where you have no choice. Which won't be any time soon.

Why would I buy a gpu based on raster when majority of the games I've played over the past 2-3 years have had RT and going forward, pretty much all titles I will be playing will have RT.... :confused: Unlike some here, I don't only play titles from 5+ years ago :o

Portal is 16 years old dude. CP is not a great game and never was. Seems awfully shallow for you to play games based on their graphics and not on the actual games themselves.

Any real gamer wouldn't care. Like me? the last game I bought that I have been waiting years for is Dead Island 2. Because I loved the first two games, even better with better graphics (definitive edition) but that mattered 0 to why I wanted them. I wanted them because they were super fun and I loved playing through them multiple times. Note - playing, not looking at. That is what photos are for. And there is nothing more realistic than a photo.

You are trying to alter what I said there. I said, and is fact, that true 4k (and I bet you Nvidia will get back on the 8k hype train as soon as it even gets close) true RT games at true fully path traced and full true resolution ain't happening. Not even on a 4090. Like I said, 20 FPS or lower. Meaning those GPUs are not ready to play games with full RT. BTW you do realise that CP is 3 years old yes? If you are still playing it now it isn't because of the graphics. Trust me on that.

I'm glad you didn't understand what I meant when I mentioned the 1080Ti either. That's OK dude, it's because you don't understand anything else I said either, and have taken it all out of context and tried to twist it. Let me do so in one sentence..

Real gamers are not shallow enough to care about RT. They game because they like playing games. And those games look plenty good enough without RT.

You do realise there is FAR more than just 2 games out there? I would love to list every game again but you can google yourself.

I play a large variety of games (probably far more than most people here), graphics are great to help with immersion but it's second to gameplay for me, most games have RT "these days" so I'm not prioritising visuals at all, it just simply is there in games now and I have the hardware to enable it so why wouldn't I? As long as I can hit 80/90+ fps, I'm good, if it is a shooter/MP game, I'll drop settings or/and use a higher preset of dlss to get 160+ fps.

To me dead island was boring, didn't the new one get panned? Give me 7 days to die any day of the week.

There's your problem, it sounds like you are trying to max out graphics at 4k and not expect to use upscaling tech. and just be able to get 60+ fps.... Just because there is a ultra/max/high setting doesn't mean you have to use it... Again, why do you refuse to use tech. which has been shown with a ton of evidence now to provide as good or better than native along with a huge performance boost? Do you like shooting yourself in the foot?

Again I'm happily enjoying and playing RT games here, I'm getting better visuals over people who refuse to enable upscaling and turn off RT, that's their choice if they want a lesser experience or prioritise high fps.

I'm not playing cp 2077 now because I have already played it 3 times and I'm waiting on the next dlc before going back, I enjoy cp 2077 regardless of RT.

You made the statements saying to stop supporting RT "now" because it isn't worthwhile or/and usable and only get raster gpus when that is complete and utter nonsense tbph, again, if you choose to not use RT or upscaling, then great, amd and nvidia offer plenty of choice here for you to stay in the raster era.

Give me a great game first and graphics come second imo. RT has been generally poorly done so far, not been impressed.

Same.

Most of the RT implementations I've been disappointed in are amd sponsored, go figure... :cry:

TBF, riftbreaker was fantastic though, RT in that added a lot to the visuals.

So wait,

Am I cancelling the 4090 and going back to the 7900xtx?

I really wasn't bothered until I saw cp2077 on overdrive and I wanted that game at launch but waited because I'm on ps5

So wait,

Am I cancelling the 4090 and going back to the 7900xtx?

I really wasn't bothered until I saw cp2077 on overdrive and I wanted that game at launch but waited because I'm on ps5
Basing your purchasing decision on one game is *beyond* dumb. It's Trump-level dumb.

But yes, 4090 every day of the week if you can afford it.

Last edited:
Basing your purchasing decision on one game is *beyond* dumb. It's Trump-level dumb.

But yes, 4090 every day of the week if you can afford it.
Thanks,

It was also VR based, not that I have a headset yet but figured it wouldn't be too long, waiting for another iteration first I think.

Back
Top Bottom