• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Associate
Horrendous coil whine on my Suprim X 4090. Different experience re. returns than you guys though. Got a 'maybe' on the return being accepted after they look at it, and a strong no on any option to change to a different card. Refund or direct replacement were the only options.

On a more positive note, I have found a really handy video from Buildzoid on coil whine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D6PKusyvUU

Based on this video, I took a look at the Techpowerup board photos. The 4090s with coil whine all have the inductor design BZ points out as suffering from coil whine. Very curiously the Zotac is using through-hole inductors, the kind that rarely have any coil whine according to BZ. However, I did notice that the intake inductors are the noisy kind. This is possibly why the Zotacs have no or minimal coil whine. If you're lucky the inductors that could make noise don't have any fitment issues and don't vibrate. But even if you're unlucky there's far fewer inductors to make the noise.

I'll be waiting on a restock of a Zotac 4090 going forward, any Zotac 4090 since they're all the same PCB I think.

Associate
I stress tested my gpu for 5 hours.. all I got was a really warm lounge and still had coil whine. It varies from game to game while destiny 2 limited at 172 fps isn't too bad but playing scorn which is a quiet game it was really noticeable. Picky but when you pay premium foe a product along with all the fans etc it's frustrating..

Associate
Horrendous coil whine on my Suprim X 4090. Different experience re. returns than you guys though. Got a 'maybe' on the return being accepted after they look at it, and a strong no on any option to change to a different card. Refund or direct replacement were the only options.

On a more positive note, I have found a really handy video from Buildzoid on coil whine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D6PKusyvUU

Based on this video, I took a look at the Techpowerup board photos. The 4090s with coil whine all have the inductor design BZ points out as suffering from coil whine. Very curiously the Zotac is using through-hole inductors, the kind that rarely have any coil whine according to BZ. However, I did notice that the intake inductors are the noisy kind. This is possibly why the Zotacs have no or minimal coil whine. If you're lucky the inductors that could make noise don't have any fitment issues and don't vibrate. But even if you're unlucky there's far fewer inductors to make the noise.

I'll be waiting on a restock of a Zotac 4090 going forward, any Zotac 4090 since they're all the same PCB I think.
Well, I have now tried 2x Suprim 1x Tuf, and today I tried the Zotac Extreme. The 1st three have the same level of coil whine not great, but the Zotac has less than half of the coil whine and is great....but, OMG, the fans are terrible. They are way louder than the Suprim and Tuf.
You ditch the coil whine but gain fans louder than the rest of my system.

Sgarrista
Commissario

Thanks for that, so a quick look at board designs....

Asus

2022-10-18-12-28-15-ASUS-TUF-RTX-4090-UNBOX-TEARDOWN-ROUGH-OVERCLOCK-TEST-OVER-3000mhz-AND-SOME-T.png

MSI

2022-10-18-12-29-58-MSI-Ge-Force-RTX-4090-Suprim-X-Review-Circuit-Board-Analysis-Tech-Power-Up-Mo.png

Zotac

2022-10-18-12-28-37-Zotac-Ge-Force-RTX-4090-Amp-Extreme-Airo-Review-Circuit-Board-Analysis-Tech-Po.png

Palit

2022-10-18-12-33-37-Palit-Ge-Force-RTX-4090-Game-Rock-OC-Review-Circuit-Board-Analysis-Tech-Power-Up.png

Associate
Well, I have now tried 2x Suprim 1x Tuf, and today I tried the Zotac Extreme. The 1st three have the same level of coil whine not great, but the Zotac has less than half of the coil whine and is great....but, OMG, the fans are terrible. They are way louder than the Suprim and Tuf.
You ditch the coil whine but gain fans louder than the rest of my system.
Hmmm so trade off is more fan noise for lower coil whine..

Last edited:
Associate
2022-10-18-13-25-08-Gigabyte-Ge-Force-RTX-4090-Gaming-OC-Review-Circuit-Board-Analysis-Tech-Power-U.png

Do they whine, looks like theyd scream.
Not seen as many complaints with the Zotac and Gigabyte for coil whine. Happy with the Zotac, but my god, the motor noise is spoiling a great all-around card.
It looks great, it's lighter and smaller than the Suprim and its temps are around 5c less than the Suprim, but you can hear the motors over everything else.
Had I gotten this one 1st, I would just think it's a bigger card and fans and just working hard vs heat, but after having the Suprim to compare, it's hard not to be bothered by the noise.
I am now wondering how hard would it be to swap the fans out lol

Associate
Not seen as many complaints with the Zotac and Gigabyte for coil whine. Happy with the Zotac, but my god, the motor noise is spoiling a great all-around card.
It looks great, it's lighter and smaller than the Suprim and its temps are around 5c less than the Suprim, but you can hear the motors over everything else.
Had I gotten this one 1st, I would just think it's a bigger card and fans and just working hard vs heat, but after having the Suprim to compare, it's hard not to be bothered by the noise.
i will give it to the suprim its a very quiet card without coil whine. My temps are 60 degrees and oc 145 core and 1200 mem... on that note... i have push mem clock up to 1200 from 650 and the coil whine has gotten better which has baffled me. I wonder if "burn in" is occuring by stressed these modules..

Associate
i will give it to the suprim its a very quiet card without coil whine. My temps are 60 degrees and oc 145 core and 1200 mem... on that note... i have push mem clock up to 1200 from 650 and the coil whine has gotten better which has baffled me. I wonder if "burn in" is occuring by stressed these modules..
I went back to the Suprim and think it got slightly louder. I will stick with the Zotac as noticeable coil whine can kill a re-sale and I don't want to have to lie to a buyer when asked "Does it have coil whine"
Fan-wise, I can deal with it, but I will look into swapping them out.

Soldato
OP
Seems like

Ah nightmare. What's the verdict on which one to keep? Maybe try your luck with one or two more Suprims?

Associate
Seems like

Ah nightmare. What's the verdict on which one to keep? Maybe try your luck with one or two more Suprims?
Sticking with the Zotac. By the time this card struggles, I will be on to the next thing anyway. It's not like I need the top, top end and squeeze every fps out of it. I would rather have a card that can be fixed with a fan change (not too hard to do) and one that's easy to sell.
If a future buyer asks about this card, I can say next to no coil whine rather than, "Well....do you have a solid case or wear headphones?"

Back
Top Bottom