• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4090 price going up?

Wow, it icludes Alan Wake 2. I'll buy 2

..can you SLI 4090s? Is SLI even a thing anymore? I think the last card I ran SLI was a 780Ti, it was aweful.

Nope last cards to allow that and had sli/nvlink fingers were the 3090/3090ti. When they finally made it work well they removed it lol, Nvidia ..

You would assume lower demand would lower prices. But in a near monopoly that doesn't seem to happen
Nvidia have AI to bail them, I’m pretty sure without that we’d have seen price cuts by now as 2.5B revenue for gaming with almost the full stack of ADA cards available now is bad and if you think just how overpriced the cards are then actual sales per unit must be well down on what they normally sell.

Nvidia have AI to bail them..
Well, we can always hope (news from 9 hours ago):

Although the curbs also affect other chip makers, analysts believe Nvidia will be hit the hardest because China accounts for up to 25% of its revenues from data centre chip sales. Nvidia's shares, which are considered a star stock, fell by as much as 4.7% in the wake of the announcement.

If Nvidia is serious about the Vhinese market it should consider moving the company out of the USA so it gets away from US export sanctions. Take the company to Taiwan

Last edited:
Nope last cards to allow that and had sli/nvlink fingers were the 3090/3090ti. When they finally made it work well they removed it lol, Nvidia ..

Nah you can SLI without a bridge using a 4090 or any DX12.1 GPU really. But basically no games support it because it requires the devs to implement DX12 SLi multi GPU support into the game and SLI is such a niche that not a single developer in last few years has bothered

Last edited:
If Nvidia is serious about the Vhinese market it should consider moving the company out of the USA so it gets away from US export sanctions. Take the company to Taiwan
and then what happens if china invades taiwan? or all western countries start giving sanctions to Nvidia?

Nah you can SLI without a bridge using a 4090 or any DX12.1 GPU really. But basically no games support it because it requires the devs to implement DX12 SLi multi GPU support into the game and SLI is such a niche that not a single developer in last few years has bothered

Off the top of my head the last game that supports DX12 multi GPU is Strange Brigade, released in...2018

Last edited:
There's no escaping US export restrictions. I have another hobby and anything you buy that is exported from the US you are then also prohibited from moving it on to any other country without their written approval. Also nothing to stop them saying if you want to import to the US you have to not export elsewhere. If the buyer is big enough and you want their business you have to play their game.

in todays news the h800, a800 and for the first time, a consumer GPU, the rtx4090, have all been added to the banned list. Nvidia can no longer sell these to China

So hopefully that helps with rtx4090 supplies

Nvidia is in a bit of pickle because this means any future consumer GPU as fast or faster than the rtx4090 is likely to be banned as well so they are more and more limited in what they can sell. No word yet if AMD consumer GPus are affected but the 7900xtx is significantly weaker than the rtx4090 is the workloads the US government cares about. That being said ROCm is getting updates from AMD to improve AI and ML performance which gets the 7900xtx closer to being banned

Last edited:
in todays news the h800, a800 and for the first time, a consumer GPU, the rtx4090, have all been added to the banned list. Nvidia can no longer sell these to China

Nvidia is in a bit of pickle because this means any future consumer GPU as fast or faster than the rtx4090 is likely to be banned as well so they are more and more limited in what they can sell. No word yet if AMD consumer GPus are affected but the 7900xtx is significantly weaker than the rtx4090 is the workloads the US government cares about. That being said ROCm is getting updates from AMD to improve AI and ML performance which gets the 7900xtx closer to being banned
No direct sales but I can't see it being too difficult to have a third party buy them and just drive them over the border, not like they'll stop them coming in.

I saw three 4090's up for sale the last few days in the members market I thought there was a price cut and some people panicked. :cry:

No direct sales but I can't see it being too difficult to have a third party buy them and just drive them over the border, not like they'll stop them coming in.

Ye smuggling can definitely happen, but Nvidia can't be directly involved, the export control rules specifically state Nvidia cannot sell to any 3rd party who then resells to China or a company with headquarters in China. So it's up to a 3rd party in Vietnam or something of their volition to order a bunch of GPus and then smuggle them

Last edited:
I'm fine with them raising prices and people paying it, so long as buyers don't then complain about the prices going up :cry: I know how much I'm prepared to pay and I won't be FOMO'd into paying more. My philosophy is every pound I don't (over)spend I don't have to earn ;)

Hope nvidia isn't expecting the rest of the world to make up for the loss of sales from China by bumping prices up.

They will be sorely mistaken lol.

Back
Top Bottom