• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Soldato
The funny thing is if someone exchanged it for a TR CPU,they could probably sell it,buy a Core i7 8700K and make a profit.
They could get a new board, ram and 8770k for the price a brand new 1950x would be worth on the 2nd hand market. So the most logical step would be to swap the 8086 for TR unless you are a collector of course. Personally though i would stick with the TR even if its not the fastest possible for low thread count gaming as those 16c32t would last a fair bit and be a solid power house if you do anything else than playing fortnite all day long :p.

Soldato
They could get a new board, ram and 8770k for the price a brand new 1950x would be worth on the 2nd hand market. So the most logical step would be to swap the 8086 for TR unless you are a collector of course. Personally though i would stick with the TR even if its not the fastest possible for low thread count gaming as those 16c32t would last a fair bit and be a solid power house if you do anything else than playing fortnite all day long :p.

I have a mini-ITX system,so it would be a tad difficult to install a TR CPU!! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
We are just preparing delid and binned 8086K skus now. I personally would not exchange for Threadripper. Its not an upgrade for gaming....
Wouldn't it be worth it for the sake of selling the thread ripper in order to buy one of your binned 8700k or even 8086k if the money stretches? I would! :)

Soldato
I have a mini-ITX system,so it would be a tad difficult to install a TR CPU!! :p

TR would take over the whole board :p

mATX could do on that aspect also indeed. :) But I see no point tbh.
The great strengths of the TR, was the gazillion drives, gpus for rendering etc you can put on it.

Not saying that I wouldn't want an miTX 12 core monster but that has to wait for next year ;)

Soldato
I wonder what percentage of 8700k's hit 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 ? and then compare it to 8086k's

Quick copy pasta from silicon lottery...

As of 6/17/18, the top 92% of tested 8086Ks were able to hit 5.1GHz or greater.
As of 6/17/18, the top 60% of tested 8086Ks were able to hit 5.2GHz or greater.
As of 6/17/18, the top 14% of tested 8086Ks were able to hit 5.3GHz or greater.

As of 6/08/18, the top 50% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.1GHz or greater.
As of 6/08/18, the top 17% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.2GHz or greater.
(None hit 5.3, apparently.)

Which is actually pretty interesting, because that is some serious binning if you want a 5.1 or better! Now I'm really tempted by one... I'm constantly bottlenecked by single-thread speeds, and that might be the fastest I'm going to see for at least 12 months. If not ever. Starting to think the gigahertz race has capped out and we'll never see 6, or even 5.5...

(I wonder what OCUK's premium for a 5.1 will be... no more than £100 over retail and I'm sold, tbqh.)

Back
Top Bottom