• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Soldato
Lol.. you paid £130 for someone to delid the CPU, grats :D

5ghz 8700K is £80 over the retail box price right now, but yeah, I know... 50-60% chance it'd have done 5.0 anyway.

Thing is, I am not a lucky chap. I have a knack of getting the worst, dodgiest, most broken unit on the shelf, and if it'd been a random boxed unit it would be the one that couldn't do MCE without overheating. I do not need that rage in my life :D

Also just checked and the price went up £20 after I ordered. For once I chose wisely! In my mind :p

Soldato
OP
5ghz 8700K is £80 over the retail box price right now, but yeah, I know... 50-60% chance it'd have done 5.0 anyway.

Thing is OCUK's current CPU pricing is dire, retail boxed is £50+ cheaper in a good few other places, save goes for there Ryzen pricing.

As for your bad luck, I suppose paying for some is fine if you believe in that sort of thing. :)

What board did you buy for it?

Soldato
Yeah, that's fair on the pricing @Journey ¬_¬ I guess I kind of favour OCUK despite the prices because I make so much use of the community around them :)

And yes, yes I do tend to insure myself against misfortune. It's sort of become my thing now. I've gotten used to returning 20% of electronics as DoA so it doesn't feel unwarranted in this case :p

As yet I haven't actually bought a board... but I'm leaning towards the Asrock Taichi. Looks like a good layout and strong VRM section.

Associate
Got my 8086k installed this weekend, happy with it so far. Seems stable at 5.0ghz @ 1.28V, but that's just a quick cinebench run and gaming. Need to run a few more stress tests though.

Soldato
Got my 8086k installed this weekend, happy with it so far. Seems stable at 5.0ghz @ 1.28V, but that's just a quick cinebench run and gaming. Need to run a few more stress tests though.

Oof, that is impressive. The binning on the 8086k's does seem to be genuine... Not that I'm unhappy with an [email protected] on 1.33V. What's 50 millivolts between friends? :)

(Yeah yeah, about 5 degrees under load probably :p)

Soldato
What boards are you guys using with this chip, how are you finding them? Trying to decide if I should get the 8086K and if so what board to pair it with?

Basically the same answers as if you were asking about an 8700k :)

I went Asrock Taichi for the solid VRMs and triple m.2 slots. It is... remarkably stable. I haven't really done any testing, I just put it to 1.33vcore and 5ghz and it hasn't had a crash or bluescreen in the 5 days since. Memory is at spec 3200 c14. I really should tune it and see if I can switch to offset vcore or push that memory a little, but right now I'm just basking in something that worked out of the box.

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero is also a great choice, but a little more expensive and "only" two m.2 slots.

Re 8086k, it's hard to justify unless you really want that 5.2ghz bin+delid. Personally I thought the 8700k @5.0 was by far the better value. If you're not planning on clocking this high either of the boards I suggested are probably overkill :)

Associate
if you're not gonna oc the 8086k, any board will do. even an MSI z370-A Pro can clock 5.1ghz with passive VRM. at the end of the day, is the slim chance of an extra 100mhz worth an extra £100? Nope.

Soldato
Sort of glad I'm not in the market for new and shiny as it's a really hard decision on what to go for these days with solid choices from Intel and AMD.

Back
Top Bottom