• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Caporegime
you want higher mhz for games.not cores for ultimate performance.that is why amd give you more cores.they compete with intel on mhz so they market more cores.simples..

as for people saying no difference with TR to 8700 or the newer 8086 in games can be upto 30 fps difference and better minimums.night and day difference on some games.if you a gamer.choose intel.

Soldato
It will be a good few years before more cores take over from Ghz just to much old and new software that works so much better with faster Cpu`s (higher GHz)

Pentium D's
Quick copy pasta from silicon lottery...

As of 6/17/18, the top 92% of tested 8086Ks were able to hit 5.1GHz or greater.
As of 6/17/18, the top 60% of tested 8086Ks were able to hit 5.2GHz or greater.
As of 6/17/18, the top 14% of tested 8086Ks were able to hit 5.3GHz or greater.

As of 6/08/18, the top 50% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.1GHz or greater.
As of 6/08/18, the top 17% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.2GHz or greater.
(None hit 5.3, apparently.)

Which is actually pretty interesting, because that is some serious binning if you want a 5.1 or better! Now I'm really tempted by one... I'm constantly bottlenecked by single-thread speeds, and that might be the fastest I'm going to see for at least 12 months. If not ever. Starting to think the gigahertz race has capped out and we'll never see 6, or even 5.5...

(I wonder what OCUK's premium for a 5.1 will be... no more than £100 over retail and I'm sold, tbqh.)

The clockspeed race was ended years back. You could crack 5ghz with a FX 8 core, 2500K or Wolfdale dual core years ago. The industry turned toward scaling across cores, no turning back now even if we wanted.

Soldato
The clockspeed race was ended years back. You could crack 5ghz with a FX 8 core, 2500K or Wolfdale dual core years ago. The industry turned toward scaling across cores, no turning back now even if we wanted.

Unfortunately my most favourite game is completely limited by 1 thread, so the 8086K is genuinely tempting to me as possibly the highest clocker until 2020 or beyond...

I'll see what OCUK price the delids at, I'd be quite happy with 5ghz and better thermals - that might get as much longevity as my old 2500K :)

Soldato
Unfortunately my most favourite game is completely limited by 1 thread, so the 8086K is genuinely tempting to me as possibly the highest clocker until 2020 or beyond...

I'll see what OCUK price the delids at, I'd be quite happy with 5ghz and better thermals - that might get as much longevity as my old 2500K :)

Expensive game :(

Soldato

So... since your aim is to boost a single threaded game why not just make a thread in the MM and fish for a proven 5GHz second hand quad core. You won't see any benefit from the extra 2 cores and it will definitely be hotter.

Soldato
i3 7350K would be another choice. You could probably pick up a 5Ghz capable 7350K, motherboard and 2x8Gb of 3000mhz capable crucial 2133mhz RAM for less than £200. Still an expensive setup for a single game though.

Soldato
Pentium D's

It will take along time before a quad core becomes irrelevant. Its comical at times the way people talk about Ryzen & 8700K's.

My advice would be to hold off upgrading a CPU until there is a need or its cheap.

Soldato
It will take along time before a quad core becomes irrelevant. Its comical at times the way people talk about Ryzen & 8700K's.

My advice would be to hold off upgrading a CPU until there is a need or its cheap.

It depends on the tasks, amount of time and probably more importantly money you want to commit, but for me quad cores stopped being relevant at X58 and dead or at least pointless for the majority by X79-99. AM4 has since made X99 and X299 pointless.

Soldato
So... since your aim is to boost a single threaded game why not just make a thread in the MM and fish for a proven 5GHz second hand quad core. You won't see any benefit from the extra 2 cores and it will definitely be hotter.

Because it's not the only thing I want to do :) Other things loved the move to 1600X from 2500k and won't want to step back.

Soldato
It depends on the tasks, amount of time and probably more importantly money you want to commit, but for me quad cores stopped being relevant at X58 and dead or at least pointless for the majority by X79-99. AM4 has since made X99 and X299 pointless.
Re X58, thats more down to lack of Mhz. All the latest Quad's from the 2600K are still great CPU's.

Soldato
Expensive game :(

Same here,but its not only the fact its limited by one to two threads(but uses upto 6 threads),but also Bethesda are useless and have not optimised the game for Ryzen(it seems). But at the same time the new Intel security patches have reduced SSD performance,and that too is important for the game. I might just hold off and see what 7NM Ryzen looks like,as the platform might be supported longer(plus 12 threads sounds nicer than 6,LOL).

Soldato
Re X58, thats more down to lack of Mhz.

I wouldn't say that :D

1zdrsyq.jpg

Soldato
OP
Whelp, it exists in the delidded section now...

INTEL CORE I7-8700K/8086K ULTRA EDITION PRE-BINNED 4.9-5.2GHZ (COFFEE LAKE) SOCKET LGA1151 PROCESSOR
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...-lake-socket-lga1151-processor-cp-00c-8p.html

...I'm a tad nonplussed by the 5.1 premium though. Silicon lottery reckon nearly all 8086Ks reach that :/

You know what hacks me off about this place (the Shop), the absolute **** they try and pull with reduced pricing, "Oh look the 8086K de-lid has 16% off, a whole £99, buy it now!" It's stinks and makes OCUK look like DFS, its really disappointing the see these sorts of fake price reductions.

Associate
I'm a tad confused too, was mainly looking to avoid the toothpaste issue as i need efficient cooling - I can understand a delid and 1 year warranty being worth 100 quid or so - which is sort of
Intel Core i7-8700K/8086K Ultra Edition Pre-Binned 4.9-5.2Ghz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

but confused at this offer too?

Core I7 8086K Anniversary Pre-Binned 5.1Ghz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - whuch ends up being more expensive than the ultra which uses better TIM?

Gibbo can you clarify as looking to order in the next few days.

Last edited:
Soldato
You know what hacks me off about this place (the Shop), the absolute **** they try and pull with reduced pricing, "Oh look the 8086K de-lid has 16% off, a whole £99, buy it now!" It's stinks and makes OCUK look like DFS, its really disappointing the see these sorts of fake price reductions.
I think these are actually 8700Ks, which have been sold at a higher price previously. Which is a little misleading in another way.

To claim that products are on sale, you should show the previous price and should have been selling at that price for a meaningful period of time. The recommendation is to move to 1:1 pricing (i.e. the product is offered at a discount for the same period of time or shorter than the product is sold at full price).

You have to go into configure, then you can choose 8700K at 4.9 or 5.0, or 8086K for faster than that. (Yeah it took me a while to work it out too.)
Thanks. These would be much better as two separate listings which would also avoid the sale price confusion too.

Back
Top Bottom