• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Soldato
Hows my scores looking? [email protected] with 2666mhz memory. Gpu AMD R9 290

2rhb32g.jpg

Bang on the money.. :)

Soldato
I updated my bios today and now the cpu voltage settings I used before are way off, so I have todo the teedious overclocking again... Sooo annoying

Its fixed 1 thing tho. When it resumed from sleep mode the cpu fan would go to full power until I restarted windows, that was the main reason I updated the bios, to see if it fixed that and it has... Plus I have got a few more points cpu/gpu in cinebench.

Man of Honour
8086k in and working now, stock so far while I reinstall Windows etc.

GPU seems to be idling at 30 degrees, CPU at 40. Running IntelBurn the CPU goes to about 50 ish. It's all in the same loop.

Seems a bit odd that the CPU runs about 10 degrees warmer? Maybe I should reseat the lock and reapply the paste?

Soldato
Im using my old 2500k/2600k heatsink with mine, Thermaltek True 120 and at idel I get about 30c on all cores and about mid to high 70s running intel burntest, but thats overclocked to 4.9.

Man of Honour
I think Windows was hammering the CPU doing updates or something, now idles about 32-33, room temperature is 27. I haven't overclocked it yet, that's to come later.

Man of Honour
Judging by the average 8700k, I'd set 1.35vcore, 1.1 vccsa (up to 3200mhz memory), 1.05 vccio and it'll probably (TM) pass Prime stress tests. Set your avx offset to 4 to be conservative, reduce it if temps are good, and bring your volts down maybe 0.05 at a time until something fails. Good luck :)

Source: my (mediocre, tbh) 8700k runs 5.0 @ 1.355 vcore plus the above seems to be stable. You probably won't need more. Do not push vccsa or vccio unless you're already bumping higher vcore. It was a total red herring for me and pumped temps more than the vcore did. Fortunately 8 Pack set me straight before I got completely frustrated and gave up :)

Be interested to know if you try using offset and if so, how it goes. I'm fine with fixed on my Asrock Taichi, but having a hard time settling in with offset.
I've tried following this and I keep getting blue screens when using IntelBurn. If I use the auto OC feature of the motherboard and set it to 5Ghz it's perfectly stable. Am I missing something?

The voltage reported by CPU-Z seems to be lower than what I set it to in the BIOS.

Soldato
the cpu volts is always lower in windows then the bios, its a bit off putting, cos which one is right if any?

This is how I oc my cpu and Im not all that great at it but it has seemed to have worked.

1 Overclock cpu clock to whatever
2. disable all cpu enhancements and check all core are using the same clockspeed
3 alter cpu voltage, I start quite high so system doesn't hang and then slowly lower voltage until widows becomes unstable.
4 Using a cpu stress program raise the voltage up untill the cpu stress program remains stable for a 30mins or so
5 Up the cpu voltage by a notch or 2, then cpu should be nice and stable at the best possible temps
6 Double check the stable of system by running cpu stress program for 12hrs or longer.

My idel temps

33ngpiv.jpg

Load temps

2v2uy6x.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
the cpu volts is always lower in windows then the bios, its a bit off putting, cos which one is right if any?

You never really know short of hooking in directly anyhow - I've seen more than 50mV lower actual voltages than the BIOS and Windows before from actual hardware readings.

Soldato

While sort of true, it's worth mentioning that boards with really good LLC can more or less completely negate the vdroop under load. I have mine set to 1.355 in bios, and HWInfo reads 1.348 min to 1.36 max. It's entirely down to the motherboard as to whether the bios setting ends up being the true value :)

I am tempted to just keep the motherboards auto 5Ghz overclock.

What volts does it read when you do that? Most boards are crazy aggressive with auto overclocks, some push 1.4v+ into the chip and you really don't want that long term. And almost certainly don't need it.

Soldato
While sort of true, it's worth mentioning that boards with really good LLC can more or less completely negate the vdroop under load. I have mine set to 1.355 in bios, and HWInfo reads 1.348 min to 1.36 max. It's entirely down to the motherboard as to whether the bios setting ends up being the true value :)

I am hoping this cpu and board will last me about 5-10yrs, so I have focused more on the board features and the pci slot layout for future upgrades rather than the overclocking performance. Im amazed and well pleased that the board has overclocked to 4.9ghz so easy.

Soldato
bios doesnt tend to employ any C states or EIST, so volts will be higher than windows in the vast majority of situations when idle. Its also why temps are higher in bios vs windows at idle also.

Soldato
Quick copy pasta from silicon lottery...

As of 6/17/18, the top 92% of tested 8086Ks were able to hit 5.1GHz or greater.
As of 6/17/18, the top 60% of tested 8086Ks were able to hit 5.2GHz or greater.
As of 6/17/18, the top 14% of tested 8086Ks were able to hit 5.3GHz or greater.

As of 6/08/18, the top 50% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.1GHz or greater.
As of 6/08/18, the top 17% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.2GHz or greater.
(None hit 5.3, apparently.)

Which is actually pretty interesting, because that is some serious binning if you want a 5.1 or better! Now I'm really tempted by one... I'm constantly bottlenecked by single-thread speeds, and that might be the fastest I'm going to see for at least 12 months. If not ever. Starting to think the gigahertz race has capped out and we'll never see 6, or even 5.5...

(I wonder what OCUK's premium for a 5.1 will be... no more than £100 over retail and I'm sold, tbqh.)

haha, so intel are selling "reviewers grade" chips now. Seriously these chips are a great bet if you one who is usually considering buying binned chips. If only there was an i5 variant as well, since I hate buying HTT processors.

Soldato
There is noise the Z390 might be cancelled and the Z370 replacing it:

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...nput-everything.2519949/page-58#post-39472971

possible SKUs

4/4
6/6
8/8
8/16

and this comment

This is stupid, only 1 sku with HT?

HT days are numbered tho, performance benefits are limited and it has security flaws. Someone on there also thinks 6/12 is superior to 8/8 for some reason.

As CL proven with the 8600k been better than a 7700k, real cores beats fake cores.

Back
Top Bottom