• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Soldato
Finally got my board back and it has been updated this time.... Now I dont know if I am doing it right but Im overclocking to 5ghz on all cores I think, 1.38v bios, showing 1.260 - 1.300v windows.. Im getting some real low temps, plus I am using my old thermalright true 120 cooler. Am I doing it wrong and is there any software that shows you the clock speeds on all cores? Ah yeah windows 10 doesn't say its at 5ghz either, its at 4ghz according to windows?

HWInfo is probably the go-to around here :)

Windows never shows the real clock, it just reads whatever the model defaults to.

Soldato
It looks like my speed will be 4.9ghz on all cores unless I get a better cooler. Been running intel burn test on max for about 6hrs with no errors.. But I must say the G Rops are well low.

2jdjedg.jpg

Soldato
True, GFlops should be much higher. Ref. Piledriver at 4.8 below (albeit with less runs and lower memory).

It was the same when I upgraded from my 2500k to the 2600k, the GRops were much slower, but disable the hyperthreading and they shoot up.

I have tried intel burntest set on very high and that brought up the GRops to 5000

I assumed it was delidded :o It seems pretty good to me if it isn't, and I fancy your chances of 5ghz under 1.3v are quite strong.

I might tweak the voltage abit more,, and run burntest over a longer time,, bu I think 4.9 is what its going to be running at.

I havent changed meny setting as i dont really know what they do.. I have changed the cpu volt and managed to get the volts to turn down when the cpu underclocks, so saving some power and life of the cpu. Disabled turbo so all cores run at the same speed and I think thats it..

Im guessing theres a lot more tweaking I could do, but cpu seems to be happy enough running at 4.9 with the settings I have changed.

Last edited:
Associate
I thought instead of starting a new thread I'd post on in here. I'm sorely tempted to upgrade my 2500k to an 8086k, and with an H105 I think I should get some pretty decent oc potential. This would be the first time I've delidded a cpu; I've watched just about every video on youtube on the subject. I'm sure with the De8auer Delid Die Mate 2 on OcUK I'll be able to do so safely, but the risk is still there. While delidding voids the warranty, does anyone have any experience of succesfully (or otherwise) claiming from home contents insurance in the case of a botched job?

I'm sure I could live with the standard turbo boost, but y'know...overclocking an all...

Cheers

Associate
What would be the cheapest motherboard to get one of these to run at 5ghz on all cores and would it be doable on air [I have a NH-D15S Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler at the moment] and finally what speed ram is the sweet spot?
Thanks

Associate
What would be the cheapest motherboard to get one of these to run at 5ghz on all cores and would it be doable on air [I have a NH-D15S Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler at the moment] and finally what speed ram is the sweet spot?
Thanks
MSI Z370-A Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbLeuxIzxcA

As for RAM speed, sweet spot probably around 3200MHz, managed to clock 16GB pair (1x 8GB Crucial 2400MHz + 1x 8GB Micron 2133MHz) to 3200MHz, timings: 16-18-18-38-2T @1.36v, will not clock any higher even with 1.5v or more.

RAM tweaking/overclocking/testing can be very time consuming, for most people better just buy the fastest 16GB+ pair you can afford and be done with it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews...Memory_Performance_Benchmark_Analysis/10.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Any recommendations for RAM?
I bought the cheapest kingston low profile 2666mhz memory, still £180 whatever.

I have tweaked the voltage some more, ran burntest for another 12hrs, with no errors and now I think its about sorted now at 4.9ghz:D I dont know why the max load temps are in the 80s as I have only seen them in the mid 70's?

At idel
282198m.jpg

At load
30xjrq8.jpg

Associate
It looks like my speed will be 4.9ghz on all cores unless I get a better cooler. Been running intel burn test on max for about 6hrs with no errors.. But I must say the G Rops are well low.

2jdjedg.jpg

Looks like the chip is power throttling, go into bios and set both short/long term max power limit to 200W and max current to 256A, then run the IBT again, for reference the i5-8400 could manage around 160+ GFlops

Soldato
Looks like the chip is power throttling, go into bios and set both short/long term max power limit to 200W and max current to 256A, then run the IBT again, for reference the i5-8400 could manage around 160+ GFlops

I havent got a min/max wattage/amps settings, but when I disable the "hyperthreading" the GRops jumps to 200+, and the temps go up a bit too.

2li7pc3.jpg

Man of Honour
Anyone using the Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7?

I bought the cheapest kingston low profile 2666mhz memory, still £180 whatever.

I have tweaked the voltage some more, ran burntest for another 12hrs, with no errors and now I think its about sorted now at 4.9ghz:D I dont know why the max load temps are in the 80s as I have only seen them in the mid 70's?

At idel

At load

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom