1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** 4K Player Thread ***

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by TALON1973, Apr 21, 2016.

1. varkanoid

Soldato

I would imagine the Sony would not be much different just with a better UI.

I still have my Logitech Z-5500 speakers for FR/FL/RR/RL and a Pansonic cinema speaker for centre and another strange make (Ariston?) for rear back and an old Toshiba rear TV Sub Woofer and its definitely not overkill and as you can see my speaker setup is hotchpotch! Your ears will love you for it.

Must really get round to getting some decent speakers that I can discretely replace without the wife noticing. ATMOS speakers are a bit harder to hide though... :)

2. peahead

Mobster

Build quality is far better on the sony it has a much better chassis so vibrations are noise are much improved over the samsung but then you are paying for it.

I have the samsung k8500 and its been excellent for me apart from the build quality and some times it can vibrate and rattle a little at the beginning when the disc is spinning up very fast. discs are fast to load though as fast as the sony.

I have put 40+ UHD movies through my samsung and its never skipped a beat so if you want a cheap reliable player then i can recommend it its just let down by the build quality.

If the sony was around at the time i would have opted for the sony due to its build quality.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  3. varkanoid

Soldato

Me too I would have gone for the Sony just because I had their bluray players and like the gui but build quality doesnt bother me. Its behind a smoked glass door and I watch the TV not look at the player when viewing movies etc. ;)

4. FrankJH

Capodecina

Even just watching the tv its impossible not to hear the 8500 when its spinning up, its that loud (with particular discs) - more than happy I got it, but it could be alot quieter

5. Krait

Gangster

The upscaling of DVD's and Blu-ray's on the X800 is superb and is far superior to the upscaling on my oled B6, it's also extremely quiet and of course the build quality is excellent
    :)

6. beachBOYken

Sgarrista

Oppo 203 DV update live.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  7. peahead

Mobster

So do we have any DV UHD yet ?

8. beachBOYken

Sgarrista

Only Despicable Me 1 and 2 I think, not much!:D

Im sure DV will take hold by the end of the year, along side HDR10.

9. peahead

Mobster

My Samsung K8500 just auto updated to firmware version 1011 today its dated 7th jun on the samsung support page but no idea what it changes:)

Edit apparently it adds HDR compatibility for Netflix.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  10. CaptainRAVE

Caporegime

Well I have subbed to Netflix 4k and am working my way through it. Hooked up to current surround system and working well. 4k sure is pretty!

11. varkanoid

Soldato

Yeah its the official release for Netflix HDR for those who didnt manage to catch the quickly withdrawn 1010 release. Filedate is actually 25/05/2017. I dont understand why they do not include release notes with it to say what gets updated. Whether it just puts the new release Netflix app on or whether there are other minor improvements/bug fixes. I tried to find some but nada.

and my Dredd 4k has just turned up so I`m off to watch it.

12. FrankJH

Capodecina

Actualy I think DV will end up like 3D / THX and several other "formats" in becoming irrelevant within a few years

Not convinced at all

13. beachBOYken

Sgarrista

We shall see I guess.

14. jpaul

Wise Guy

DV should remove the rendering problem for both oled and lcd when they do not conform to the unrealistic 3000nits, or so, of hdr10 mastering,
    so the vendors contrive to squash the films dynamic range with home brew techniques, per the new HDTVtest video we discussed recently.

Maybe dv removes this silly HDR premium qualification (a few of the new Samsungs miss it by a few nits) with its bipolar led and oled specifications
    albeit replacing that qualification cost for paying dolby a sum (a few cents like hevc ?) - do not need a custom h/w module for dv now, either, so retrofittable.

The HDR10 experience (even some OC'ers have expressed) of 'its too bright' maybe eleviated

...I think it bodes well

15. deuse

Capodecina

Even DV want to go up to 10,000 nits. It's just that they can't at this time.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-vision/dolby-vision-white-paper.pdf

16. jpaul

Wise Guy

I think the beta-max vhs war has probably now been superseded by the brexit vote, and maybe dv will be the next battleground
    but, more eloquently than my post http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision

17. FurryLemon

Hitman

DV won't take off. It'll remain niche much like HDR.

1080p + DVD will remain the most commonly used formats for years to come yet.

18. Clov!s

Capodecina

Had a notification that my 4k Lego batman will arrive tomorrow, shame I've read poor reviews :p

19. Clov!s

Capodecina

[​IMG]

20. jpaul

Wise Guy

so was it ridiculously funny, or can you send it back based on misrepresentation ? (not up there with Team America ?)

Noticed that JL now selling package with 50ex700 + ub300 = £878 , however even if the player is good, the ex700 reviews suggest inferior processing to last years dx750
    (seems to be a trend, like the supermarkets cutting back the chocolate bar sizes ?, of Pan & samsung products being more expensive and inferior to predecessorsuccessor)